Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:11:28 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 568036 times)  Share 

Pearlmilktea

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Regular
  • "fun n fresh"
  • Respect: +44
Re: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #2160 on: August 12, 2019, 08:55:57 pm »
+2
Hey Guys,
My teacher gave us some questions that might be similar to the exam in regards to our core topics, but I am actually so clueless on how to answer them, any help would be appreciated:

Hey! I'm going to keep this answer quick as I have trials tomorrow but I hope it helps!!

Family:
"to what extent does the role of law reform achieve justice for family members and society"

For law reform you could look at any of the contemporary issues:
- Developing recognition and ultimate legalisation of same sex marriage + alternative family relationships
- Care and protection of children - Wood Report --> Keep Them Safe Program -> reforms to prevent domestic violence
- Changing nature of parental responsibility - changing language, failure of 2006 reforms and 2011 reforms as a result and risk of domestic violence
- Surrogacy and birth technologies - pretty much all of this as it's so current and therefore constantly requires reform

World Order:
"Evaluate the impact of changing values and ethical standards on world order. To what extent does the law encourage co-operation and resolve conflict in relation to world order?"

This is quite a tricky Q too. in terms of changing values and ethical standards maybe talk about the emphasis of peace and security in the modern world. Formation of the UN. Intolerance towards inter-state conflict due to the carnage from WWI and WWII (100 million people killed between them).

As a result, there has been a shift to intra-state conflict. States want to maintain trade and alliances and as a result, are less likely to take part in inter-state conflict. This presents challenges with state sovereignty though as how do we intervene when a conflict in intra-state (e.g. Syria).

I guess the encouraging cooperation is to do with the maintaining peaceful relations in order to maintain trade and alliances, strengthening your own state and furthering the economy - ultimately making everyone more powerful. A bit of HR stuff with role of the UN as well as introducing T&C of compliance. Co-operation achieved through ratifying treaties, complying with laws and not starting conflict. Can talk about R2P in targeting intra-state conflict too.

Sorry it's a bit all over the place. Good luck though (if you haven't already done your exam)!!

HSC 2018: French Continuers (92)
HSC 2019: Biology (94), English Adv (92), French Extension  (41), Legal Studies (91) and Italian Beginners (95).

ATAR: 98.45
HSC All-rounder :)

Gracie :D

emilyyyyyyy

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2161 on: September 27, 2019, 03:28:07 pm »
Hi

I'm struggling to scaffold crime essays - there's so many dot points and i don't have a lot of info on certain topics, specifically, the investigation process, sentencing and punishment, young offenders and international and transnational crime.

Does anyone have any advice?

meerae

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Trendsetter
  • wack.
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #2162 on: September 27, 2019, 06:19:38 pm »
+1
Hi

I'm struggling to scaffold crime essays - there's so many dot points and i don't have a lot of info on certain topics, specifically, the investigation process, sentencing and punishment, young offenders and international and transnational crime.

Does anyone have any advice?

Hiya!

I recommend making acronyms for each chapter so the dot points are easier to remember, then make sure when writing essays that you choose the most content heavy dot points that answer the topic.

Hope this helps!
meerae :)
2018 hsc; mathematics
2019 hsc; english adv english ext 1&2 math ext 1 legal studies economics

HSC w/ a stresshead {class of'19}

phungies

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2163 on: October 01, 2019, 09:52:30 pm »
Hey Guys! I was wondering if this website in particular, ATARNotes, provided any essay marking? I'm fairly new here (yes... pretty late to join ik)

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #2164 on: October 01, 2019, 10:28:50 pm »
Hey Guys! I was wondering if this website in particular, ATARNotes, provided any essay marking? I'm fairly new here (yes... pretty late to join ik)
Hey,
Welcome to AN!!  ;D

If you post your essay here it might be looked over and marked.

Hope this helps! :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

akshita.arora

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2165 on: October 20, 2019, 07:09:55 pm »
Hi!
Does anyone have any predictions for what the family essay question (25 marker) could be??
It could legit be anything but if anyone has any predictions pls help a gal out :))

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #2166 on: October 20, 2019, 10:32:21 pm »
Hi!
Does anyone have any predictions for what the family essay question (25 marker) could be??
It could legit be anything but if anyone has any predictions pls help a gal out :))

Hey!

I would definitely take a look at the 'Themes and Challenges' as they are a very common source for the essay questions.
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

phungies

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2167 on: October 21, 2019, 07:16:23 am »
Quick question, in preparation for the HSC now, how should I be studying? (:

youii

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2168 on: October 21, 2019, 07:19:40 pm »
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone can give me tips on what to use case studies for? So should I research cases and legislations only that surround the themes and challenges for specifically Crime? Or should i have Legislations and Case studies for almost every dot point in the crime syllabus?

Same question for Human Rights

avocadinq

• MOTM: FEB 19
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #2169 on: October 21, 2019, 07:40:19 pm »
+1
Quick question, in preparation for the HSC now, how should I be studying? (:

Past papers in timed conditions and memorising your legislation, making sure to target your weak points (eg. multiple choice, human rights etc) while getting feedback from your teacher/atarnotes forums. If you haven't made your notes/flashcards, do it before you practice past papers.

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone can give me tips on what to use case studies for? So should I research cases and legislations only that surround the themes and challenges for specifically Crime? Or should i have Legislations and Case studies for almost every dot point in the crime syllabus?

Same question for Human Rights

Try to look at legislation and cases that can be used for almost every dot point, because it's better to be over-prepared than underprepared, since there is a possibility that they could ask a really specific question on crime. Sometimes you'll find that legislation and cases do overlap so keep a lookout for those in particular for both human rights and crime.
HSC 2019 | chemistry, english advanced, mathematics, mathematics ext 1, modern history and legal studies
For more study inspiration, check out my studygram! @quadrtics

Thankunext

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2170 on: October 21, 2019, 08:46:38 pm »
Hey guys!
Could we talk about Hong Kong in our World Order essays since it seems to be a contemporary issue right now? If so, what could we talk about?
Thanks!

youii

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2171 on: October 23, 2019, 05:03:44 pm »
"Assess the roles of Organisations, Tribunals and Courts in resolving Consumer Law?"

Wondering how to structure this and exactly what to discuss

Pearlmilktea

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Regular
  • "fun n fresh"
« Reply #2172 on: October 28, 2019, 09:23:28 pm »
Hey guys!
Could we talk about Hong Kong in our World Order essays since it seems to be a contemporary issue right now? If so, what could we talk about?
Thanks!

HSC Markers love contemporary issues in essays so definitely recommend adding stuff you see in the news if it's relevant to what you're studying. The thing to be careful about for Hong Kong is how much it impacts global peace and security which underpins the WO syllabus.

Therefore, I would probably run it by your teacher as it could potentially make a great paragraph if they agree it relates to the key concepts. It is definitely super relevant right now.

Good luck!
-Gracie
HSC 2018: French Continuers (92)
HSC 2019: Biology (94), English Adv (92), French Extension  (41), Legal Studies (91) and Italian Beginners (95).

ATAR: 98.45
HSC All-rounder :)

Gracie :D

phungies

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2173 on: October 29, 2019, 08:59:02 am »
Hey Guys! For the crime response (15 marks), do you guys think it's okay to have only two body paragraphs? A crime essay should be around 600 words (according to my teacher) so I plan on having two really in-depth body paragraphs (approx 250 words each). But a lot of past answers to crime responses have at least 3, so idk if it's okay to have 2.  :-\

bmarz2019

• Adventurer
« Reply #2174 on: October 29, 2019, 09:59:14 am »
Hey Guys! For the crime response (15 marks), do you guys think it's okay to have only two body paragraphs? A crime essay should be around 600 words (according to my teacher) so I plan on having two really in-depth body paragraphs (approx 250 words each). But a lot of past answers to crime responses have at least 3, so idk if it's okay to have 2.  :-\

It'd be preferred that you do 3 body paragraphs as it allows for you to have more content in there and attain more marks. It also makes it look like you know your stuff instead of possibly repeating what you're writing. However, it all depends on how you work.

By having 3 paragraphs you're spreading out your information instead of just a large blob of writing.

Hope this provides some insight.
HSC 2019

Legal Studies | Modern History | Adv English | Adv Maths | History Ext | SOR II