Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 04:36:32 am

Author Topic: I am confusion (year 9 selective test)  (Read 1295 times)  Share 

qwerty124

• Trailblazer
  • None
  • Respect: +2
I am confusion (year 9 selective test)
« on: August 28, 2019, 01:40:46 pm »
[removed]
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 08:16:40 pm by qwerty124 »

m.yara184

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Re: I am confusion (year 9 selective test)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 05:45:46 pm »
So apparently I got a higher score than my friend, and he got into his first preference, MHS. MHS was my first preference, and I got rejected. I didn't even get a PD, but I got a late offer 10 days ago to SCHS, my second preference. Is it still possible to get an offer to my first pref?
This whole system is messed up man. My friend got into mhs this year with 2 sups and an average. I got a Pd (but I didn’t get shortlisted for an interview) with 3 sups 1 Above 1 average

imhungry

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 06:54:04 pm »
So apparently I got a higher score than my friend, and he got into his first preference, MHS. MHS was my first preference, and I got rejected. I didn't even get a PD, but I got a late offer 10 days ago to SCHS, my second preference. Is it still possible to get an offer to my first pref?
Odds are very unlikely

imhungry

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 06:57:05 pm »
This whole system is messed up man. My friend got into mhs this year with 2 sups and an average. I got a Pd (but I didn’t get shortlisted for an interview) with 3 sups 1 Above 1 average
System isn't messed up, it's just very confusing. Your friend probably had something like equity giving him a higher chance of getting in because they want a large variety of students not just in, race, age, etc. but in socioeconomic background too

m.yara184

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 07:17:33 pm »
System isn't messed up, it's just very confusing. Your friend probably had something like equity giving him a higher chance of getting in because they want a large variety of students not just in, race, age, etc. but in socioeconomic background too
His dad is a neuro surgeon, pretty sure it’s not because of equity, and he’s the same race as me.

thenuttyprofessor

• Trailblazer
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 07:21:38 pm »
It can also depend on what you got your sups in compared to him. Some subjects are given more importance, i.e Maths over Reading Comp

imhungry

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 07:26:29 pm »
His dad is a neuro surgeon, pretty sure it’s not because of equity, and he’s the same race as me.
When you apply, they don't take your parents professions so his dad being a neurosurgeon is pretty irrelevant to him getting in

MemeMaster

• Trailblazer
  • memes
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 08:14:00 pm »
+1
mostly because superior is what your are compared to other people, not your actual score
for example your friend could be in the top 1% whereas you were in the top 11% for the superior
bork

m.yara184

• Trendsetter
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 09:02:12 pm »
When you apply, they don't take your parents professions so his dad being a neurosurgeon is pretty irrelevant to him getting in
Yes but I’m trying to emphasise my point, he is not poor. If anything he’s privileged.