Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 03:36:12 am

Author Topic: Disappointed with result  (Read 5781 times)  Share 

m.yara184

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Disappointed with result
« on: August 27, 2019, 09:41:13 pm »
Maths: Superior
Numerical: Superior
Writing: Superior
Reading: High
Verbal: Average
All I got was a pd to mhs, but I got a rejection, so I didn’t make it to the interview, and I got a first round to Nossal. Meanwhile there’s my friend with 2 sups made it to mhs first round and he’s at the same school as me!!!!!!!!! CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN WHY

Mod edit (VN): changed title.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 09:55:44 pm by vox nihili »

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
Re: WTF I JUST GOT MY RESULTS, DIDNT MAKE IT TO MHS WITH 3 SUPERIORS!!??
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 09:42:48 pm »
Maths: Superior
Numerical: Superior
Writing: Superior
Reading: High
Verbal: Average
All I got was a pd to mhs, but I got a rejection, so I didn’t make it to the interview, and I got a first round to Nossal. Meanwhile there’s my friend with 2 sups made it to mhs first round and he’s at the same school as me!!!!!!!!! CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN WHY
I knew you’d do good but anyways, I think u did like really bad in verbal(probs in the low half of average) cause I can’t find any other reason. Anyways, good luck with whatever school you’re going.(I’m no name)

m.yara184

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 09:44:20 pm »
I knew you’d do good but anyways, I think u did like really bad in verbal(probs in the low half of average) cause I can’t find any other reason. Anyways, good luck with whatever school you’re going.(I’m no name)
Yeah that’s probably why lol. Verbal fucked me up sm (excuse my language)

830cracker

• Forum Regular
  • Class of 2023
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 09:49:12 pm »
It’s okay, congrats for getting a superior on numerical. I only got an above average even I did like 30 questions, so this shows that u never knows what the results’ going to be, which means that u would be likely getting a late offer.
welp I’m procrastinating rn

m.yara184

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 09:55:52 pm »
It’s okay, congrats for getting a superior on numerical. I only got an above average even I did like 30 questions, so this shows that u never knows what the results’ going to be, which means that u would be likely getting a late offer.
Thanks and congrats on getting a superior on verbal, I got an average on it eeeeee. This whole system ur rigged anyways. What was ur first preference?

Sally Zhong

• Fresh Poster
Re: Disappointed with result
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 09:57:26 pm »
u prob in a good school and just didn't make quota. Did u have yr interview?

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 10:02:13 pm »
+10
The reason is because the results you get, ‘superior’ ‘high average’ etc are only RANGES that contain your actual score. Your three superiors could have been borderline ‘high average’, while your friend’s two may be on the higher end of the superior range. Your friend may have still gotten a higher total score than you, despite the results you’re told which seemingly suggest otherwise.

But please keep in mind, the select entry test doesn’t mean that much in the long run and doesn’t limit your performance in VCE at all. If you are truly a gifted student, then you would do well in VCE regardless of your cohort.

Btw if it offers any comfort, back when I did the test I got four superiors and still got rejected from Macrob, Nossal, AND Cory. Seemed like the end of the world back then, but now I couldn’t care less. ;D

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU

m.yara184

• Trendsetter
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 10:02:35 pm »
u prob in a good school and just didn't make quota. Did u have yr interview?
No didn’t make it to the Interview

830cracker

• Forum Regular
  • Class of 2023
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2019, 10:12:03 pm »
Thanks and congrats on getting a superior on verbal, I got an average on it eeeeee. This whole system ur rigged anyways. What was ur first preference?

Thanks and yes ikr, like I don’t know how ppl get superiors for reading even I got an average when I felt like I did like my second well subject lol. Don’t too much about that average as I’m pretty sure that most ppl in my school who got into mhs get averages as well. As u accepted the offer from nossal, u should kept a spot for mhs late offer as the 5% rule still applies for late offers(sorry if I didn’t explained this well like I just want to say that u really do have a high chance for getting one) :)

I applied for nossal as first pref, then macrob and Cory. My school is really competitive as well like it reached the 5% and there’s 7 more ppl who got a pd

m.yara184

• Trendsetter
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2019, 10:13:50 pm »
Thanks and yes ikr, like I don’t know how ppl get superiors for reading even I got an average when I felt like I did like my second well subject lol. Don’t too much about that average as I’m pretty sure that most ppl in my school who got into mhs get averages as well. As u accepted the offer from nossal, u should kept a spot for mhs late offer as the 5% rule still applies for late offers(sorry if I didn’t explained this well like I just want to say that u really do have a high chance for getting one) :)

I applied for nossal as first pref, then macrob and Cory. My school is really competitive as well like it reached the 5% and there’s 7 more ppl who got a pd
Oh no there is still a spot for late offers. I called the selective entry unit they said that by accepting nossal, it does not affect my mhs 2nd round offer chance.

Louis23

• Forum Regular
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2019, 10:16:17 pm »
830 cracker what were ur scores?

zuijinde

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2019, 10:30:32 pm »
The reason is because the results you get, ‘superior’ ‘high average’ etc are only RANGES that contain your actual score. Your three superiors could have been borderline ‘high average’, while your friend’s two may be on the higher end of the superior range. Your friend may have still gotten a higher total score than you, despite the results you’re told which seemingly suggest otherwise.
All this is true.

Your average may have dragged you down a bit, and also assuming that your school is competitive, this would have drastically affected that. MHS is highly competitive and they tend to look at scores that are favourable from competitive schools. Although, I will say it is a bit strange to not have received PD.

To put in perspective, I got into MHS and didn't even get any superiors back in 2014, but the ranking of my school was relatively low which got me entry.

m.yara184

• Trendsetter
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2019, 10:35:02 pm »
All this is true.

Your average may have dragged you down a bit, and also assuming that your school is competitive, this would have drastically affected that. MHS is highly competitive and they tend to look at scores that are favourable from competitive schools. Although, I will say it is a bit strange to not have received PD.

To put in perspective, I got into MHS and didn't even get any superiors back in 2014, but the ranking of my school was relatively low which got me entry.
I did get a pd, but I didn’t make it to the interview stage

zuijinde

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2019, 10:40:14 pm »
I did get a pd, but I didn’t make it to the interview stage
My apologies, didn't read it right. Perhaps your folio of achievements weren't up to par with their standards? It was kinda joked that MHS was very pedantic about these things.

830cracker

• Forum Regular
  • Class of 2023
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2019, 10:45:08 pm »
Oh no there is still a spot for late offers. I called the selective entry unit they said that by accepting nossal, it does not affect my mhs 2nd round offer chance.

Yep that’s what I’m saying. Like what I mean is that u would only get a late offer if you accepted the offer from nossal, as if u don’t then other people from you school might took over your spot(for example, someone from ur school can be closer to the cut line for nossal than u did to mhs, and they might took over ur spot if u decline the offer for nossal, and then ur highly unlikely to get an offer for mhs as the 5% rule applies)

So what I’m initially meaning is that u really do have a higher chance for getting into mhs after u accepted the offer from nossal, as there would be no chance if u declined that offer and the 5% rule in ur school applies :)