Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:17:52 am

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1231722 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #2160 on: June 24, 2017, 05:28:10 pm »
+1
Hey,

As I was looking for questions for module B, I ran into this one:
How has considering other interpretations of the prescribed speeches helped you develop your own appreciation of the textual integrity of the speeches?

And I was wondering how to structure your paragraphs around it? Is there like a recommended structure for this one, with one paragraph showing the more accepted view on speeches and the other paragraphs being about how different interpretations develop your insight of textual integrity?

Thank you so much!

Hey! Welcome to the forums ;D

That's a brutal question that one. I'd probably do three speeches, one per paragraph. I think basically what each paragraph should do is take evidence from the speech and analyse it, in terms of the technique used and the response it gets from audiences, plural. So, focus on how the audience on the day would respond, how the audience of the context would respond, and how these (for example) compare with our response now (your response, because you define our response the way you choose). Then maybe a conclusion to bring it all together, saying that your view has been informed and strengthened by the other views you've discussed.

That's my thoughts at least, would love to hear others :)

(Sorry to the others who asked a question, didn't study either of those texts :()

Sukakadonkadonk

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2161 on: June 25, 2017, 09:07:02 am »
Hi,
Any recommendations on what two related texts I should do for module C, People and politics?
My core text is Brave New World.

Thanks.

mjorfian

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
  • School: macarthur girls high school
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #2162 on: June 25, 2017, 10:29:43 am »
Hey! I was wondering what the difference between an 18/19/20 out of 20 is for an Advanced essay? The most I've reached so far is 18/20, and I lost a mark for my conclusion that could have been better (which, fair enough. I wrote it in 30 seconds hahaha) and another for not phrasing things into shorter sentences. Apparently. Is that really all it is to it though? And what's the best/easiest way to reach that 20/20? I'm hoping to do so for at least one of my essays by trials! thanks!

TheFreeMarketeer

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #2163 on: June 25, 2017, 06:00:13 pm »
Explore how T.S. Eliot’s poetry engages readers through its poetic treatment of uncertainty.

In your answer make detailed references to at least TWO poems studies in class and reference the critic (listening component).

Anyone know how to approach this task, I don't know to phrase a thesis and what arguments to formulate.

legorgo18

• Trendsetter
  • A future lawyer.
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2164 on: June 25, 2017, 10:04:47 pm »
Please someone answer quickly:

I had inadvertently brought myself to the island- what technique is used: i originally used juxtaposition to the previous quote of how landscapes brings beauty but now ive got some changes in my essay. So what technique is used in this quote? ty
HSC 2017: Advanced English(94), 2U Maths(97), 3U Maths(49), Bio(91), Chem(88), Chinese in context(88)

Atar: 97.55

Studying a bachelor of  actuarial studies/ bachelor of laws at UNSW

Tutoring details: https://highschooltutors.com.au/tutor/12153

2017 Blakehurst internals: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13l8nV_efhmYwlA1hM5grQnymew5pznrn

bsdfjnlkasn

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #2165 on: June 25, 2017, 11:32:18 pm »
+1
Explore how T.S. Eliot’s poetry engages readers through its poetic treatment of uncertainty.

In your answer make detailed references to at least TWO poems studies in class and reference the critic (listening component).

Anyone know how to approach this task, I don't know to phrase a thesis and what arguments to formulate.

Hey there!

I think it is really important for module B to form your own interpretation of the texts, as once you do, you will have a prepackaged thesis applicable to almost any question! This is the advice my teacher gave me and I'm finding it super helpful when beginning to compile my study notes. Are you having difficulty with the structure of the essay? Which poems to use? Let me know, and I'll see if I can offer some guidance. It's a bit hard to give you the answer you're looking for if we're just going off the essay question here.

I guess the most important thing to clarify now is your own understanding and how/why you think Eliot portrays uncertainty (think about the Modernist context to get you started).

There is also an awesome Module B guide that I think you should check out under the English Advanced section of this forum :D

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #2166 on: June 26, 2017, 12:19:35 am »
Hi I was wondering if anyone had tips on how to write a discursive essay
I'm not sure how to approach one

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #2167 on: June 26, 2017, 03:47:43 am »
Hi,
Any recommendations on what two related texts I should do for module C, People and politics?
My core text is Brave New World.

Thanks.

Hey there! Some popular options are:

Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale
Film: V for Vendetta
Autobiography: I am Malala.

Have a look into these and then if they are suiting you, maybe look into similar texts to these on google and see what comes your way :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #2168 on: June 26, 2017, 03:50:59 am »
+1
Hey! I was wondering what the difference between an 18/19/20 out of 20 is for an Advanced essay? The most I've reached so far is 18/20, and I lost a mark for my conclusion that could have been better (which, fair enough. I wrote it in 30 seconds hahaha) and another for not phrasing things into shorter sentences. Apparently. Is that really all it is to it though? And what's the best/easiest way to reach that 20/20? I'm hoping to do so for at least one of my essays by trials! thanks!

Hey mjorfian! Something I always have thought is that moving from a 7 to a 10 is easier than from a 17 to a 20. Once you get into the higher band there, it's not about overhauling your structure or reconsidering your arguments: it's about the finer things. Often these smaller things affect the way your essay is perceived overall and that's really important. It really can be about your sentence length. Once the clarity and syntax of your sentences is adjusted, your arguments are enhanced. Even though the argument and ideas have been there all along, they suddenly come to light when the wording is re-arranged. Ask your teacher to look at examples of 20/20 responses that they have marked: then compare your own essay. Where does the structure differ? Is the same amount of analysis included? Is the vocabulary of a similar level? It's really difficult to bump yourself up when you're at that high level, so really knuckling down on the smaller things is important! :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #2169 on: June 26, 2017, 03:54:31 am »
+1
Please someone answer quickly:

I had inadvertently brought myself to the island- what technique is used: i originally used juxtaposition to the previous quote of how landscapes brings beauty but now ive got some changes in my essay. So what technique is used in this quote? ty

It's hard to comment on this without knowing the context. Is the first person narration important? Is the use of the definite article instead of the indefinite article before island significant? If this is the entire sentence, it is a simple sentence - possibly you could comment on this :)

I haven't studied T S Eliot, I apologise! Perhaps you should identify the uncertainty that you feel in the text. Is it coming from uncertainty of self? of the future? of the world? of literature? Once you've identified this, you'll be able to get close to an argument building draft. Also consider being the devil's advocate: Does the poet treat the notion of certainty too? Is uncertainty only realised in opposition to certainty?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #2170 on: June 26, 2017, 03:58:24 am »
+1
Hi I was wondering if anyone had tips on how to write a discursive essay
I'm not sure how to approach one

This is interesting! I know nothing about a discursive essay structure, but I've done some googling. This resource seems to get better as it goes on, later discussing the structure for this kind of essay. But at the beginning it does talk about how to approach it to begin with as well! This might be useful for you :)

theblackswan

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2171 on: June 26, 2017, 09:00:08 am »
Hey!
I was wondering if you can start an essay by introducing the author. For example, Judith Wright represents land as blah... or Judith Wright uses poetry to blah...Does that still constitute a thesis? I thought a thesis should be purely conceptual. Thanks!

TheFreeMarketeer

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #2172 on: June 26, 2017, 09:14:53 am »
Hey!
I was wondering if you can start an essay by introducing the author. For example, Judith Wright represents land as blah... or Judith Wright uses poetry to blah...Does that still constitute a thesis? I thought a thesis should be purely conceptual. Thanks!

Depends on the question, I'd say.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #2173 on: June 26, 2017, 10:27:53 pm »
+1
Hey!

It really depends on the question, but also the module. I would say this is more expected from a Module B essay. It doesn't HAVE to be purely conceptual, but because you've got a related text in Module C, I'd be wary of immediately privileging one text/author over the other!

janemurray

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2174 on: June 27, 2017, 04:08:02 pm »
Could someone please help me with some analysis and links to the AOS syllabus for Margaret Atwood's poem Journey To The Interior (as a related text). Also any past discovery essays with this as the related text would be greatly appreciated! (I promise not to plagiarise but just to get some general ideas)