VCE Stuff > Victorian Education Discussion

Road to medicine!?

(1/1)

YehNahBro:
Hey all,
For a long time, i’ve wanted to go to medicine but the competition is fierce. If I can’t get into medicine through direct med at Monash med, my best bet would be to go to Melb uni biomed and try out for med by taking the GAMSAT. However, if I fail the GAMSAT, will I have to stick to biomed as my career path? What are some other pathways of getting into med at Melb uni or Monash? Also what ATAR would be required for Monash med and Melb uni biomed?Thanks in advance!  :) :) :)

stella_atarnotes:

--- Quote from: YehNahBro on June 16, 2019, 02:03:29 am ---Hey all,
For a long time, i’ve wanted to go to medicine but the competition is fierce. If I can’t get into medicine through direct med at Monash med, my best bet would be to go to Melb uni biomed and try out for med by taking the GAMSAT. However, if I fail the GAMSAT, will I have to stick to biomed as my career path? What are some other pathways of getting into med at Melb uni or Monash? Also what ATAR would be required for Monash med and Melb uni biomed?Thanks in advance!  :) :) :)

--- End quote ---

The best way to get into med is to apply for as many unis as you possible can, and often this will be across the country where you will need to be prepared to move interstate. It is possible to get into Monash or Melbourne, but these are 2 of the top medical schools in the country. A lot of students move interstate regardless of what their home state is, just because medicine positions are highly competitive. Another alternative to Melb biomed is actually Monash biomed, as Monash only accepts graduates from biomed into their postgrad med course. You can still apply for postgrad med at Melb through this pathway. With the ATARs, a 99.90 atar will guarantee you chancellor's scholar at UniMelb which allows you direct entry into medicine provided you pass an interview in 3rd year. Otherwise, the atar for biomed is around 95, but definitely aim above this. For Monash undergrad med, there are 3 components: ATAR, UCAT and interview. An ATAR above 99 will safely guarantee you an interview provided your UCAT is competitive.

Hope this helps!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version