Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 04:24:59 pm

Author Topic: HSC Class of 2017 Discussion Thread  (Read 40079 times)  Share 

Zainbow

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
Re: HSC Class of 2017 Discussion Thread
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2017, 05:03:41 pm »
I agree, they wouldn't change them just because some people saw them early, it's not like those people are at an advantage did you guys see your timetables? Are you happy with it assuming it will be the same?

If it stays the same then I'm extremely happy. Other than english, the two closest exams are two days apart :)
Also I heard they doubled up music (not sure which) with english paper 1
HSC 2017 (All Rounder)

2018: B/Eng (Mechatronic (Space)) (Hons) & B/Sci (Physics) (Dalyell) at Usyd

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2017, 05:14:02 pm »
If it stays the same then I'm extremely happy. Other than english, the two closest exams are two days apart :)
Also I heard they doubled up music (not sure which) with english paper 1

Nice!! That would be Music 1 - They always do that, I had it in my year as well ;D

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2017, 06:40:12 pm »
+2
A collection of past HSC exam timetables if anyone wants to do an analysis

Are you asking me to form a confidence interval for the date of every exam based on every previous exam for that subject?

That would be the coolest thing ever to try actually...

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2017, 09:22:30 am »

Offers to be made SIGNIFICANTLY earlier this year

I really love this, such a good move. What do you guys all think of this?

Rathin

• Trendsetter
  • Arthur Phillip High School
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2017, 12:53:20 pm »
I really love this, such a good move. What do you guys all think of this?

Great Idea! I think I will still have to wait till January as physiotherapy is a very competitive course. 
2017 HSC
4u | 3u | Physics | Biology | Adv Eng | PDHPE

armtistic

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2017, 07:09:43 pm »
I feel like this is something they should've implemented earlier. Although if competitive courses are still delayed to January maybe it won't affect me either way :D
ATAR: 99.70

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2017, 09:15:47 pm »

I feel like this is something they should've implemented earlier. Although if competitive courses are still delayed to January maybe it won't affect me either way :D

I'd say MOST courses will do the offers in December now, purely to avoid frustration and disillusionment - Fingers crossed at least! Would be a shame if institutions started using backdoors to sidestep the changes

Thebarman

• Trendsetter
  • Gone fishing
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2017, 09:42:56 pm »
Sounds like a great performance overall. Don't worry about Business, figure out what went wrong and fix it - Just a learning experience is all it is :) keen to hear some awesome results coming back next term!! Thanks for being an awesome part of the forums ;D

Thought you might be interested to know that I managed to get 58/75 for business studies, which was 6 marks off from the top mark. Definitely not an amazing mark, but it's better than what I expected. Considering how I rushed through that exam, I think that I could easily improve this mark next time around based on what I did wrong here.

As for the HSC timetable, looks like all my exams will be crammed into the first two weeks. There's definitely some pros and cons to that.

What about everyone else? Are you happy with your HSC exam timetable?
“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!”
2017 HSC: Advance English, Mathematics, SORII, Biology, Business Studies, Modern History.
Atar: 92.05

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2017, 10:56:46 pm »
Thought you might be interested to know that I managed to get 58/75 for business studies, which was 6 marks off from the top mark. Definitely not an amazing mark, but it's better than what I expected. Considering how I rushed through that exam, I think that I could easily improve this mark next time around based on what I did wrong here.

You can't measure success in absolutes, you measure it in progress - If you are happy with your mark then you were successful, sounds like a killer result to me all things considered! ;D

As for the HSC timetable, looks like all my exams will be crammed into the first two weeks. There's definitely some pros and cons to that.

Yikes, it'll be intense! Nothing you can't handle if you are prepared, and you'll get an early holiday! ;)

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2017, 09:13:37 pm »
Hello, everyone!
so I don't know how to really explain this but I'll say it in the best possible way

so basically I feel like I have lost motivation to do the actual work. I like to make a to-do list which is achievable and realistic but when it comes to doing the actual work I just ceebs if it makes sense. like I may get everything out to do it and then just subconsciously without realizing open google chrome and next minute I'm either scrolling through atarnotes (sometimes on forums that aren't even useful to me eg. eco help forum. I don't even do eco lol) or in on refreshing my emails. I don't have FB so that ain't an issue but I just feel super not bothered and not motivated. I sit on my desk laptop on everything is ready to go but doing the actual work I'm totally not motivated to do. any help? I really need to boost my motivation as I want to do extra tasks to hand into my teacher but lack the will to actually complete them

thank you so much and I hope all that made sense.  :) :) ;) ;)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2017, 10:55:05 pm »
next minute I'm either scrolling through atarnotes (sometimes on forums that aren't even useful to me eg. eco help forum, I don't even do eco lol)

Best form of procrastination ;)

I think a lack of motivation at this stage of the year is really normal kiiaaa, so never fear! ;D I think you should figure out ways to first, remove your sources of procrastination. You can download apps/extensions that block certain (or all) websites for certain periods of time. So, for example, you could sit down to study and (I shudder as I type this) block yourself from AN for 2 hours. I used to do it for YouTube all the time (I don't anymore, I've given in...) ;D ditch your phone, ditch everything but your work. Good working environment is so vital! Also make sure you are getting enough sleep, eating the right things - Looking after yourself is a big part of staying motivated ;D

Next, try and remember why you are working. What are your long term goals for your subject marks? ATAR goals? Course goals? Keep these in mind and trace back to where you are now. Things you do now can seem insignificant because Trials and the HSC are both so far away, but thinking long term can help that mindset :)

Besides that, try and just settle into a routine, light if necessary! Like, don't be afraid to do a 20 minute AN session after an hour of study, or check your emails once every hour. Work with yourself, don't try and fight yourself, and you'll be more energised as a result ;D

Finally, check out this oldie but a goodie. Motivational thread! ;D

Diala

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2017, 07:25:59 pm »
Hey there! So I'm completing my HSC this year and I'm seriously feeling the pressure... it's so chaotic that I stress about stressing over the stress of everything. I know, super crazy! I'm struggling to figure out how to get my studies organised because I can't go over all my subjects in 1 day if I want to do understand the content efficiently. So I'm wondering what tips you have for managing subjects and starting to learn the content? Also, do you suggest memorising now? Or going over the past topics? I feel like I'm meant to be on top of things but it's all getting so out of hand :(

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2017, 08:37:49 pm »
Hey there! So I'm completing my HSC this year and I'm seriously feeling the pressure... it's so chaotic that I stress about stressing over the stress of everything. I know, super crazy! I'm struggling to figure out how to get my studies organised because I can't go over all my subjects in 1 day if I want to do understand the content efficiently. So I'm wondering what tips you have for managing subjects and starting to learn the content? Also, do you suggest memorising now? Or going over the past topics? I feel like I'm meant to be on top of things but it's all getting so out of hand :(

Hey Diala! ;D don't worry, stressing about the stress of stress is pretty common at some point in the HSC - It's a tough year! ;)

At this stage, you should focus on understanding the content being presented to you, first and foremost. Don't revise unless you are managing what you are getting right now (no point falling behind to revise, counterintuitive). Start figuring out a routine that works and slowly start edging revision time in where you can. But don't feel like you need to be revising heaps - It needs to be manageable. Maybe you have 1 hour a weekend to brush up on content from Term 4 last year - Great!! Get your current content down first, whatever that takes :)

A few things that could be useful:

- Time Management Guide
- How to Make a Study Timetable
- Ways to Study Effectively
- What You Should Be Doing in Term 2 (a VCE article, helpful for HSC students nonetheless!)

But you are doing really well even just for caring so much about your results! Hang in there, and try to keep yourself relaxed ;D