Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 10:43:59 pm

Author Topic: Brave New World Module C Visual Related Text  (Read 828 times)

Rachel67

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Brave New World Module C Visual Related Text
« on: July 19, 2018, 01:53:57 pm »
Hi

So I have to write an extended response for an english assessment on a Brave New World (People and Politics) and one of the requirements is that we must use a visual text and I am having trouble finding one. So if anyone has any suggestions it would be very helpful.

This is the practice question they gave us:
‘All representations are acts of manipulation’.
To what extent does your study of People and Politics support this statement?

Thanks

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
Re: Brave New World Module C Visual Related Text
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 07:24:41 pm »
+2
Hi

So I have to write an extended response for an english assessment on a Brave New World (People and Politics) and one of the requirements is that we must use a visual text and I am having trouble finding one. So if anyone has any suggestions it would be very helpful.

This is the practice question they gave us:
‘All representations are acts of manipulation’.
To what extent does your study of People and Politics support this statement?

Thanks

Hey! I did BNW but I didn't do an image as an ORT. However, in art we looked at Ai Weiwei and he'd be perfect for this. His artwork series - 'study of perspective' would be perfect.

Here's a para I wrote on it for art - it's a political protest work by nature and deals with ideas of individual defiance vs repressive, totalitarian symbols of power. You could liken the single finger of protest in each photograph to the role John the Savage plays in BNW

Ai Weiwei is a conceptual artist who through his art, deliberately calls attention to human rights violations in China where free speech is not recognised as a human right. When considering how Ai deliberately provokes audience reactions, it is important to consider his context. Ai has spent time in jail, been put under house arrest and cannot travel without official permission as he is working within an authoritarian regime in China. Therefore, his works are highly provocative as they criticise the Chinese Government’s role in widening the  gap between the ideal and real in China. For example, ‘Study of Perspective – Tiananmen Square’ (1995) is a clear act on Ai’s behalf to challenge the Chinese people to rise up against restrictive governments. In this work, Ai sticks his finger up to the site of the brutal massacre in 1989, where soldiers shot peaceful protesters. The Beijing Government still refuses to discuss the incident and censors all footage of it. The work is a part of a series which includes Ai sticking his finger up at other symbols of control such as the White House and Reichstag. Therefore, Ai is quite graphically displaying his disdain for state power. In this work in particular, Ai is specifically taking a stand against the censorship of the Chinese media and Government. His lone finger standing against symbols of state power references ‘tankman’, an unidentified protestor photographed in 1989 who faced the line of tanks at Tiananmen Square. Thus, Ai directly challenges the corruption of the Chinese Government and the provocative nature of his work is a deliberate plea to empower all Chinese people.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 07:27:58 pm by dancing phalanges »
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

Rachel67

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 03:54:26 pm »
Thank you so much  :)

Miaaa

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 02:15:43 pm »
Hi

This answer is probably too late but if your still looking for a visual RT to do in the HSC, Guernica by Picasso is a good one that my English teacher recommended. It ties in really well with BNW and people and politics, as its a representation of an event (the bombing of Guernica) but also a situation (oppressive political control.) Here are a couple of notes that I had written on it.

•   Guernica shows the suffering and fragmentation that can result from extreme and ruthless political actions
•   Distorted, anguished, terror stricken facial expressions
•   Use of black and white is used to give a veneer of photo journalistic realism
•   Low modality is used to accentuate the blatant absurdity of the event and the unbelievability of the actions