Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 05:50:15 am

Author Topic: HSC PDHPE Questions Thread  (Read 21423 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
HSC PDHPE Questions Thread
« on: February 28, 2018, 10:40:55 am »
+6
HSC PDHPE Q&A THREAD

To go straight to posts from 2018, click here.

What is this thread for?
If you have general questions about the HSC PDHPE course or how to improve in certain areas, this is the place to ask! 👌

Who can/will answer questions?
Everyone is welcome to contribute; even if you're unsure of yourself, providing different perspectives is incredibly valuable.

Please don't be dissuaded by the fact that you haven't finished Year 12, or didn't score as highly as others, or your advice contradicts something else you've seen on this thread, or whatever; none of this disqualifies you from helping others. And if you're worried you do have some sort of misconception, put it out there and someone else can clarify and modify your understanding! 

There'll be a whole bunch of other high-scoring students with their own wealths of wisdom to share with you. So you may even get multiple answers from different people offering their insights - very cool.

To ask a question or make a post, you will first need an ATAR Notes account. You probably already have one, but if you don't, it takes about four seconds to sign up - and completely free!

OTHER PDHPE RESOURCES
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 01:02:27 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

zanibalh

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
Re: HSC PDHPE Questions Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 09:13:18 am »
Hey guys,
can anyone explain to me the three energy systems?
How they work and interrelate to one another?

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 10:36:34 am »
+5
Hey guys,
can anyone explain to me the three energy systems?
How they work and interrelate to one another?

Hi...
This is a fairly large part of the syllabus for Factors Affecting Performance, so I suggest you head over to the notes section or seek some other online resources if you are pretty unsure about the systems...

But here's a quick summary:

ATP/CP System: (alactacid system) Is an anaerobic system that depends on stored ATP within the body as the fuel source. It only lasts for a short period of time - around 5-8 second of maximum intensity - and usually is one quick, powerful movement. E.g. an attempt at long jump, springboard diving. After this time period,  creatine phosphate (CP) for ATP re-synthesis is depleted, so the system needs to recover before it is effective again.

Lactic Acid System: Is an anaerobic system that depends on the break down of carbohydrates in blood glucose as the fuel to produce ATP. It can last between 30 second - 3 minutes, depending on the intensity of the exercise. E.g. a 400m athletics race, one round of a boxing match. Fatigue is caused by the build up of acidic molecules from lactic acid - a byproduct of the conversion of the carbohydrates to ATP.

Aerobic system: Is aerobic - requires oxygen to function - that uses the conversion of carbohydrates, fats and proteins into ATP to provide sustained energy for a long period of time: 1 - several hours, depending on intensity level. E.g. a marathon, tennis. Fatigue is caused by the depletion of carbohydrates, because after this, fats and proteins will be converted to energy, but these processes require a lot more oxygen.

These systems are interrelated, as each of them may be used in the one form of physical activity. For example, in a 200m running race (typically takes around 20-40 seconds), the initial alactacid system will be used until creatine phosphate is depleted, and then the lactic acid system will take over to provide the rest of the energy of the race. Overall, the systems work together to ensure the body has energy for the tasks it needs to complete.

Hope this helps! :D

2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

zanibalh

• Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 07:33:28 pm »
Hey guys,

Can someone please explain what the physiological adaptations are briefly,
& how can they be related to the principles of training?

Thanks so much, in advance.

kauac

• Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 08:23:09 pm »
+1
Hey guys,

Can someone please explain what the physiological adaptations are briefly,
& how can they be related to the principles of training?

Thanks so much, in advance.

Hi...
I realise that this is over a month late (sorry!) but hopefully this may still be of use to you...

So the phyisological adaptations the syllabus wants you to focus on are: resting heart rate, stroke volume, cardiac output, lung capacity, oxygen uptake, muscle hypertrophy, haemoglobin level, effect on slow twitch/fast twitch muscle fibres

Which I like to remember in the acronym: Red Strawberries Create Lovely Odours May Harvest Evenings (yeah, a bit random, I know  ;)).

Resting heart rate - measured in beats per minute, the amount of times the heart muscle contracts in one minute
Stroke volume - measured in ml, the amount of blood ejected from the left ventricle during one contraction
Cardiac output - measured in L/minute, the amount of blood ejected from the left ventricle during one mintue
Lung capacity - encompasses a few different measurements, focusing on how much air fits into the lung cavity though this is not really affected by training, more of a genetic/personal feature
Oxygen uptake - the efficiency of the body to absorb and transport oxygen to be used in the body's cells (often measured with VO2 Max)
Muscle Hypertrophy - the increase in the length/size of a cross section of a muscle (often visibly noticeable)
Haemoglobin Level - measured in g/dL, the concentration of the oxygen-binding protein haemoglobin in the blood.
Slow-Twitch/Fast-Twitch muscle fibres - includes a number of factors, such as slow/fast composition (determined largely by heredity), capillary efficiency, quantity of mitochondria, aerobic enzymes, myoglobin protein

Simply speaking, these adaptations are enhanced by the utilisation of the principles of training. The principles maximise the physiological gains by allowing an athlete's body to slowly become accustomed to the level of training, before it requires more alterations to boost the adaptations further (progressive overload).  :)

zanibalh

• Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 10:00:31 pm »
Heyy everyone;

I was just wondering, for Core One for the syllabus dot points that list the 'groups experiencing health inequities', do I have to know them all and just two in detail or do I just pick the ATSI and any one of my choice?

Also, same question for the 'chronic diseases' section, do I choose one from the list alongside CVD or do I have to know two in detail and the rest just briefly?

Thanks so muchh!!

kauac

• Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 09:01:44 pm »
Heyy everyone;

I was just wondering, for Core One for the syllabus dot points that list the 'groups experiencing health inequities', do I have to know them all and just two in detail or do I just pick the ATSI and any one of my choice?

Also, same question for the 'chronic diseases' section, do I choose one from the list alongside CVD or do I have to know two in detail and the rest just briefly?

Thanks so muchh!!

Hi...

For groups experiencing health inequities, probably just focus on two, one of which will be ATSI, like you have said.

For chronic diseases, you actually need to know three: CVD, cancer and one other.  :)

zanibalh

• Trendsetter
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 08:35:42 am »
Thankyou so much!

zanibalh

• Trendsetter
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 08:13:54 pm »
when was the pdh syllabus last updated?

Thanks in advance ;)

kauac

• Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 08:22:55 pm »
when was the pdh syllabus last updated?

Thanks in advance ;)

Last update was 2012, only to change  DRABCD to DRSABC, lol!  ;D

If this is for the purpose of past papers, basically any year from 2001 should be equivalent to the current syllabus. They have only made very minor changes since then. :)

zanibalh

• Trendsetter
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2018, 08:48:41 pm »
Last update was 2012, only to change  DRABCD to DRSABC, lol!  ;D

If this is for the purpose of past papers, basically any year from 2001 should be equivalent to the current syllabus. They have only made very minor changes since then. :)

ohh okayyy, thanks so much!!

yeah lols that's why i asked haha

stationery

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 02:11:49 pm »
Hey guys,

Does anyone have acronyms to remember the syllabus for The Healt of Young People?
I am especially struggling on the developmental aspects that affect the health of young people.

Thank you!
Subjects: English Adv, Chemistry, Biology, Business, PDHPE, Maths General!

kauac

• Forum Leader
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 02:51:49 pm »
+1
Hey guys,

Does anyone have acronyms to remember the syllabus for The Healt of Young People?
I am especially struggling on the developmental aspects that affect the health of young people.

Thank you!

Hi...
Haven't come across at this stage, because it is a less-common option.

Have you tried to come up with some yourself? Acronyms are definitely more memorable if you make them relatable to your own interests and mindset.  :)

stationery

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 09:14:47 am »
Hi...
Haven't come across at this stage, because it is a less-common option.

Have you tried to come up with some yourself? Acronyms are definitely more memorable if you make them relatable to your own interests and mindset.  :)

I been stuggling to come up with some, so it's proabably easier to just memorise it.
I find this option to be so much content and very conceptual.. nothing like Sports Med at all!
But thank you for replying :)
Subjects: English Adv, Chemistry, Biology, Business, PDHPE, Maths General!

Youssefh_

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2019, 04:04:48 pm »
Can someone please help me?, What are any specific health promotions that are aimed at reducing the health inequities suffered by the Socio-Economically Disadvantaged people?