Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 03:46:52 pm

Author Topic: Did really good in 1/2, but struggling with 3/4  (Read 3745 times)  Share 

nervousdan

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Did really good in 1/2, but struggling with 3/4
« on: March 31, 2021, 09:53:51 pm »
+1
Hi Guys.

This is my first post here, so excuse any formatting, etiquette errors etc.

In my school, we had the option to complete a maximum of 2 1/2s in year 10, and then if we wanted, and if we were capable enough, complete the 3/4s in year 12, giving us a lighter workload for year 12. I did the two 1/2s, legal studies and biology. I excelled at legal, almost never dropping a 95+% for any of the sacs or exams. I felt supremely confident entering 3/4, but this hope was soon dashed, you could say. Now, my school only has about 2-3 sacs per unit, and in the first (and only, so far) sac, i got an unsatisfactory mark; 81%. This isn't an awful grade, and was above average for the cohort, but I feel bad complaining about it, but I was counting on legal studies being one of, if not the number 1, my best subjects, aiming for mid forties. Not to mention the content only seems to get harder from here. I studied alot more than I ever did for any of my 1/2 sacs, and i feel like there was no point, as i got alot worse. Pretty disappointing stuff. (Bio isn't going too good either, but thats no matter, I never was good at it  ;) ) Any advice on what I may be doing wrong/how to get over it/how to improve?

Thanks in advance :)
Bio - 41
Legal - 41

nervousdan

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Did really good in 1/2, but struggling with 3/4
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 09:57:25 pm »
I should probably also add I was considering law as a career choice even, and am aiming for at least a ninety ATAR. My other 1/2s are going superbly well.
Bio - 41
Legal - 41

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 12:31:48 am »
Firstly let me say that I am so sorry things aren't going too great for you, but know that there are plenty of SACs to go and the exam is still 50% of your study score. Another thing I would like to point out is if you go to a good school it shouldn't matter if you aren't rank one. But if you are really struggling I strongly recommend a tutor or asking your teachers for additional help, look back when I was in year 11 I was averaging around low 80's for one of my subjects fast forward now I am scoring 90's. I think there are still plenty of time to ace legal studies.

beep boop

• Trendsetter
  • studying, what is that?
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 10:16:58 am »
Hi Guys.
This is my first post here, so excuse any formatting, etiquette errors etc.
In my school, we had the option to complete a maximum of 2 1/2s in year 10, and then if we wanted, and if we were capable enough, complete the 3/4s in year 12, giving us a lighter workload for year 12. I did the two 1/2s, legal studies and biology. I excelled at legal, almost never dropping a 95+% for any of the sacs or exams. I felt supremely confident entering 3/4, but this hope was soon dashed, you could say. Now, my school only has about 2-3 sacs per unit, and in the first (and only, so far) sac, i got an unsatisfactory mark; 81%. This isn't an awful grade, and was above average for the cohort, but I feel bad complaining about it, but I was counting on legal studies being one of, if not the number 1, my best subjects, aiming for mid forties. Not to mention the content only seems to get harder from here. I studied alot more than I ever did for any of my 1/2 sacs, and i feel like there was no point, as i got alot worse. Pretty disappointing stuff. (Bio isn't going too good either, but thats no matter, I never was good at it  ;) ) Any advice on what I may be doing wrong/how to get over it/how to improve?
Thanks in advance :)

Hi,

I'm also in the same boat as you. Doing two 3/4 subjects while in year 11 is a hefty load. I'm doing bio and Vietnamese SL. Don't be disheartened by the result of your first SAC. I know it sounds cliche, but first SACs don't contribute that much.

When you get your SAC back, flip through it. What did you miss? Did you read the question properly? Did you study that part in depth? As obvious as it may sound, take into consideration, your feedback from the teacher. Then if you can, have a chat with your teacher. Not only you can ask what you struggled on and what you can do to improve next time in terms of the teacher's perpesective.

The next step: look at the study design. Again, this sounds obvious, but what ever you need to learn for your SACs and exam is on there. VCAA can't give you anything not related to the study design, remember that. 

I hope this helps.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.
class of '22
'21: viet sl [36], bio
'22: psych, methods, spesh, chem, eng lang
"Distance makes the heart grow fonder and proximity makes the heart want to barf."-Mr K, Never have I Ever
yr 12 stuff :)