Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:03:01 am

Author Topic: I am so stressed right now... Is it too late? Will I catch up? Will I do good?  (Read 3401 times)  Share 

Emerzer

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Hello everyone,
         I am currently a year 10 student who is doing SLA units 1 and 2 this year at xjs. I was born in Australia but I went to China for a few years and attended a full English international school (Year 1 to start of year 4 so I have to do SLA) and there are people in my current unit 1 and 2 class who came in year 7 from normal schools in China and I feel like they are much better than me at least in terms of the amount of 成语 and 词语 they know. I have been a little lazy in the past especially because of lockdown and I didn't really study that hard, but this year I am prepared to do as much work as I need and whatever it takes for me to achieve a high score in vce. (I am prepared to do much more work than my classmates and a lot extra) So I was just wondering if it is too late for me to work hard now in order to catch up to the people who are ahead of me right now and get a 40+ score in SLA. (I speak Mandarin mostly at home so I don't think my pronunciation and grammar is that bad. ) Please tell me if it is already too late for me right now even if I do my best and put all my effort into it, or if it isn't too late, please tell me what I should do to catch up to all the people ahead of me currently and get a 40+ score. Your help would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you very much.

pans

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
Hello,
SLA is REALLY HARD but if u try SUPER HARD u will get what u want ;D. Im just saying, 40+ is like being FL. SLA is really strict on essay writing, your essay writing has to be on point, logically make sense with lots of 成语 and 俗语。 Nearly everyone in SLA has good 口语能力。My main suggestion is to really expand your vocabulary (search on the web, theres a lot, and read LOTS OF SLA 范文). 40+ right now for you may be a bit too hard. 4 of my friends born in china (came here y5) are SLA (they r pretty good) and got 29-33 (raw). I have some 范文 from SLA, pm me if u want some, ill just send u some screenshots.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 10:57:21 am by pans »

Emerzer

• Adventurer
Hello,
SLA is REALLY HARD. Im just saying, 40+ is like being FL. SLA is really strict on essay writing, your essay writing has to be on point, logically make sense with lots of 成语 and 俗语。 Nearly everyone in SLA has good 口语能力。My main suggestion is to really expand your vocabulary (search on the web, theres a lot, and read LOTS OF SLA 范文). 40+ right now for you may be a bit too hard. 4 of my friends born in china (came here y5) are SLA (they r pretty good) and got 29-33 (raw). I have some 范文 from SLA, pm me if u want some, ill just some u some screenshots.
Thank you for your suggestions, I will try to improve my vocabulary and read a lot of SLA 范文, but the thing is I have heard people who came to Australia when they were only 4 years old and still got a score above 40, I want to know how they did it and if I can do it too.

Emerzer

• Adventurer
Hello,
SLA is REALLY HARD but if u try SUPER HARD u will get what u want ;D. Im just saying, 40+ is like being FL. SLA is really strict on essay writing, your essay writing has to be on point, logically make sense with lots of 成语 and 俗语。 Nearly everyone in SLA has good 口语能力。My main suggestion is to really expand your vocabulary (search on the web, theres a lot, and read LOTS OF SLA 范文). 40+ right now for you may be a bit too hard. 4 of my friends born in china (came here y5) are SLA (they r pretty good) and got 29-33 (raw). I have some 范文 from SLA, pm me if u want some, ill just send u some screenshots.
Also sorry, I am just a little confused about what you mean. So you said that if I try SUPER HARD I will get the score I want, but then you said 40+ right now may be a bit too hard for me. So does that mean I can still get the score I want or no?

thefatredcrane

• Fresh Poster
Nothing is impossible. HOWEVER, you need to be aware that the native speakers who came to Australia in grade 7 are working as hard as you, so if you want to catch up, you need to put in twice the effort they put in to SLA. Speaking from experience (last year when the new study design was implemented), it generally takes a scaled to 100% sacs, 8-9/10 in oral and 60+/75 written exam (last year's written exam was very difficult, normally 65+/75) to achieve low 40s in SLA. It also highly depends on luck, such as your state of mind on the exam date, if you made silly mistakes on the written exam, your score will drop drastically.

Emerzer

• Adventurer
Nothing is impossible. HOWEVER, you need to be aware that the native speakers who came to Australia in grade 7 are working as hard as you, so if you want to catch up, you need to put in twice the effort they put in to SLA. Speaking from experience (last year when the new study design was implemented), it generally takes a scaled to 100% sacs, 8-9/10 in oral and 60+/75 written exam (last year's written exam was very difficult, normally 65+/75) to achieve low 40s in SLA. It also highly depends on luck, such as your state of mind on the exam date, if you made silly mistakes on the written exam, your score will drop drastically.
I am well aware of the fact that the students who came in grade 7 can work just as hard as me, that is why I am willing to study as hard as it takes as long as it doesn't affect my other subjects that much. Whenever they relax, I will work hard, whenever they work hard, I will still work hard. I heard that people who came to Australia when they were 3 or 4 years old achieved marks over 40 in SLA. Is that all just from hard work? If so, is it too late for me right now? Do they have like a special tutor or something?

thefatredcrane

• Fresh Poster
Those who came to Australia when they are 3 or 4 and achieved 40+ in SLA probably have been studying Chinese in Chinese school from grade 1 and spoke Chinese on a daily basis, at day school and at home. One of my friends came to Australia in grade one, and her 口语 is as good as a native speaker (like those who came to Australia in grade 5/6) However, she didn't get 40+. I don't know the level of your Chinese so I can't tell you if it is too late for you right now.

Emerzer

• Adventurer
Those who came to Australia when they are 3 or 4 and achieved 40+ in SLA probably have been studying Chinese in Chinese school from grade 1 and spoke Chinese on a daily basis, at day school and at home. One of my friends came to Australia in grade one, and her 口语 is as good as a native speaker (like those who came to Australia in grade 5/6) However, she didn't get 40+. I don't know the level of your Chinese so I can't tell you if it is too late for you right now.
I speak Chinese with my mum and my neighbour who came in year 7 and we hang out a lot., so I got no problem with communicating in Chinese. For vocab, I got workbooks from xjs and I plan to read articles, do extra work and learn a lot of idioms, phrases and words.

Chinese Tutoring

• Fresh Poster
As a VCE SL/SLA Chinese, I always encourage my students to ignore all the rummors which confuse people.

VCE SLA is not that hard than you thought. But at least one thing is true, you need to be aware of the weights of different questions. Students focuse on essays too much, which leads to the lack of attention on listening and reading techniques. They weighs more points.

Some teachers exaggerate how hard the VCE Chinese is, maybe they just want students to take VCE Chinese seriously.

But to be honest, to achieve raw score 40+ in VCE Chinese, you need to be clear about VCE writings styles and be well-prepared about the oral exam. Meanwhile, only memorise topic-related words instead of a wide range of vocab as you don't need that much for the exam.

BTW 30-50 essays throught the whole unit 1 &2  really prepares you fully for unit 3&4.

Hello everyone,
         I am currently a year 10 student who is doing SLA units 1 and 2 this year at xjs. I was born in Australia but I went to China for a few years and attended a full English international school (Year 1 to start of year 4 so I have to do SLA) and there are people in my current unit 1 and 2 class who came in year 7 from normal schools in China and I feel like they are much better than me at least in terms of the amount of 成语 and 词语 they know. I have been a little lazy in the past especially because of lockdown and I didn't really study that hard, but this year I am prepared to do as much work as I need and whatever it takes for me to achieve a high score in vce. (I am prepared to do much more work than my classmates and a lot extra) So I was just wondering if it is too late for me to work hard now in order to catch up to the people who are ahead of me right now and get a 40+ score in SLA. (I speak Mandarin mostly at home so I don't think my pronunciation and grammar is that bad. ) Please tell me if it is already too late for me right now even if I do my best and put all my effort into it, or if it isn't too late, please tell me what I should do to catch up to all the people ahead of me currently and get a 40+ score. Your help would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Emerzer

• Adventurer
As a VCE SL/SLA Chinese, I always encourage my students to ignore all the rummors which confuse people.

VCE SLA is not that hard than you thought. But at least one thing is true, you need to be aware of the weights of different questions. Students focuse on essays too much, which leads to the lack of attention on listening and reading techniques. They weighs more points.

Some teachers exaggerate how hard the VCE Chinese is, maybe they just want students to take VCE Chinese seriously.

But to be honest, to achieve raw score 40+ in VCE Chinese, you need to be clear about VCE writings styles and be well-prepared about the oral exam. Meanwhile, only memorise topic-related words instead of a wide range of vocab as you don't need that much for the exam.

BTW 30-50 essays throught the whole unit 1 &2  really prepares you fully for unit 3&4.
Hello, thank you for your reply,
I normally get full marks for the listening and reading comprehension things we do in class at xjs, but I just feel like some SLA students knows a lot more Vocabulary than me and writes much better essays because either they have lived and studied in China for very long or they just know more phrases and sentences. Also, many teachers and people say that my writing looks like a SL student's and is a bit childish. (I do use some idioms but maybe the style just looks childish) Do you think that can be fixed and I still can achieve a raw 40+ without dragging down my other subjects and still having a lot of time for them? (Planning to do Methods and Chinese in year 11 and the rest in year 12)

Emerzer

• Adventurer
This is really difficult. But you can handle it)))))
Thanks, but I just don't know if it is worth it. Like I don't know if it is better for me to do Chinese sla or any other subject (e.g. Physics) to get a scaled 48, I don't know which one will be easier. For Chinese, I will have to study super hard to catch up to everyone else and people say that studying for Chinese alone can take more time than the other 5 subjects combine. For Physics or anything else, I don't think it will scale up that much so I would have to get a RAW 48 or something like that.