Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:45:34 pm

Author Topic: I need all the help and advice I can get  (Read 4119 times)  Share 

Ayeong

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
I need all the help and advice I can get
« on: November 18, 2020, 07:00:52 pm »
Hello everyone! I just wanted to jump on the literature forum because I am picking up units 3 & 4 without units 1 & 2 as a year 12 student next year. (I gave the subject selection sheet in so the careers ladies are just working out a slot to see if I can fit it somewhere into my timetable)

Some context:
- I am definitely an English > Maths type of person
- I dropped further maths for literature because I am failing in general maths and I figured “ instead of studying for a subject I hate so much, why not pick up a subject that I know I will enjoy studying for?”
- I am determined to make the changes and study for this subject

I mainly want advice on how I can get a head start (If it is found that I can do the subject as it fits into my time table) and some tips on how to do well in the subject before the start of the new term.

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
Re: I need all the help and advice I can get
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 07:32:51 pm »
+6
Hey Ayeong!

I went into Lit 3/4 without 1/2 as well so hopefully I can give you some insights!

First, I'd recommend having a very thorough read through of VCAA resources including the Lit study design, past examiners reports, and sample essays. Make sure you understand what literature is about, because it isn't simply "hard English". It's marked on a  very different criteria and you must make sure that you aren't simply writing 'English-style' essays in Lit.

Second, find out what texts your school will be doing, get physical copies of those texts, and read them. You can start annotating and analysing as well if you want, but personally I think making sure that you know the content inside out during the holidays would be enough.

Third, get high-scoring essays from teachers and past students. They don't necessarily have to be for your specific texts. The important thing is to know how to structure your responses. You can also create a word doc to collect good vocabulary and sentences to use in your own essays.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU

Ayeong

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 07:45:38 pm »
+1
Hey Ayeong!

I went into Lit 3/4 without 1/2 as well so hopefully I can give you some insights!

First, I'd recommend having a very thorough read through of VCAA resources including the Lit study design, past examiners reports, and sample essays. Make sure you understand what literature is about, because it isn't simply "hard English". It's marked on a  very different criteria and you must make sure that you aren't simply writing 'English-style' essays in Lit.

Second, find out what texts your school will be doing, get physical copies of those texts, and read them. You can start annotating and analysing as well if you want, but personally I think making sure that you know the content inside out during the holidays would be enough.

Third, get high-scoring essays from teachers and past students. They don't necessarily have to be for your specific texts. The important thing is to know how to structure your responses. You can also create a word doc to collect good vocabulary and sentences to use in your own essays.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Omg thank you so much for responding 😭❤️
I will definitely keep your advice in mind! ☺️

FinleyJapp

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 06:55:59 am »
+3
I'd also suggest starting to get a hold of what critical theory is and how you apply it. Through a textbook (the literary theory guides by Stephen Barry and Lois Tyson are both good introductions if you're up for buying one, or check your school library for any guides) or reading essays and articles, start to learn a little about a few different theories (the big ones are maybe feminism, marxism, pychoanalysis and postcolonialism) as they are applied to texts. You don't have to go super in-depth but it's useful to have a good grounding in what a theory is trying to do.
Also, you might have one already but if not, I recommend getting a state library card! I found it so helpful for looking up articles.

Ayeong

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 01:02:39 pm »
I'd also suggest starting to get a hold of what critical theory is and how you apply it. Through a textbook (the literary theory guides by Stephen Barry and Lois Tyson are both good introductions if you're up for buying one, or check your school library for any guides) or reading essays and articles, start to learn a little about a few different theories (the big ones are maybe feminism, marxism, pychoanalysis and postcolonialism) as they are applied to texts. You don't have to go super in-depth but it's useful to have a good grounding in what a theory is trying to do.
Also, you might have one already but if not, I recommend getting a state library card! I found it so helpful for looking up articles.

Ooooo I do love going to the state library so I will definitely keep that in mind. Thank you so so much!