Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:51:28 pm

Author Topic: Did I use this correctly lol  (Read 2362 times)  Share 

Samueliscool223

• Forum Regular
  • jjjjj
  • Respect: -5
Did I use this correctly lol
« on: July 21, 2020, 04:57:31 pm »
Would this be the correct usage of the literary device "allusion"?
"The man's action serve as an allusion of the potential dangers of the acquisition of knowledge."

s110820

• MOTM: April 20
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • you'll be everything to the right someone
  • Respect: +151
Re: Did I use this correctly lol
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 07:00:22 pm »
+1
Hi Samueliscool223,

Personally, I don't think that your example would be the correct usage of the literary device "allusion" as it seems like you are referring to the concept of illusionnrather than an allusion. For example, an illusion refers to either a) an instance of a wrong or misinterpreted perception of sensory experience, b) a deceptive appearance or impression or c) a false idea or belief whereas an allusion refers to an expression designed to call something to mind without mentioning it explicitly; an indirect or passing reference (in which an object or circumstance from unrelated context is referred to covertly or indirectly - which enables readers/the audience to make connections to other objects, books, history or films. For example, in Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury uses a lot of biblical - such as the Book of Revelation - and historical allusions - such as the book burnings which originated from World War II - to comment on the destruction of society based on its past.

Remember that illusion is the view or the perspective of a certain object or concept whereas allusion refers to the connections that readers can make from their knowledge to the text.

Hopefully, this helps.

Have a great week and kind regards,

Darcy Dillon.
QUT 2021 - Bachelor of Education (Primary).