Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:43:41 am

Poll

Stay in Physics or Drop it

Stay
0 (0%)
Drop
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Dropping Physics? Picking up Busman?  (Read 2227 times)  Share 

asdfghjklzx

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Dropping Physics? Picking up Busman?
« on: June 10, 2020, 04:30:52 pm »
Im in a dilemma. I am a year 11 VCE student and am undertaking:
- Accounting 1&2
- Chemistry 1&2
- Physics 1&2
- Biology 3&4
- English Language 1&2
- Mathematical Methods 1&2

It’s time for subject reselection and I am stuck between keeping Physics and dropping it to pick up Business Management.

I got 54% and 64% on my last 2 SACS during term 1 and on my last 2 tests that I took recently, I got an 82% and a 79%. (I think those tests were pretty standard and more theory based than formula application based)

The course I want to take in University is Bachelor of Biomedicine.

Im stuck because I believe that Physics would be more beneficial to my future pathway but my teacher makes me feel unmotivated and bored. I feel like I could do better in Business but it has no correlation to what I want to do in the future but I feel like it could potentially boost my ATAR up.

Physics is not a prerequisite for the courses i’m looking at but in some, it’s a unit that I would have to take. Would I be far behind if I drop physics?

Should I stay in Physics or should i move to Business?!!??!?! Please Help!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 09:50:13 pm by asdfghjklzx »

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Dropping Physics? Picking up Busman?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 04:50:08 pm »
+1
Welcome to the forums!

I'm kinda biased here since I'm a physics tutor at TS but if you think physics will be more beneficial to your future and the only reason in favour of bus man is for potential ATAR boost then I'd say stick with physics. You might not even have the same teacher next year.

If there are other reasons (like interest) pushing you more towards busman then maybe you should drop physics. People usually do better at subjects they care about more so picking based on what interests you also makes sense from an ATAR perspective in addition to the emotional side.

Hope this helps :)

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
Re: Dropping Physics? Picking up Busman?
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 06:41:37 pm »
+1
Hello and welcome to AN!

Fellow year 11 here who was in a similar dilemma at the start of the year. I did physics 1/2 and didn't really enjoy it, so I eventually dropped it for further maths 3/4. I am also aiming for a STEM course.

I would drop physics if you do not have much interest in it and don't like it. You will not like studying a subject you like. Additionally, physics isn't a pre-requisite for any course so you will not be disadvantaged in any way. Busman would be a great breadth subject and if you enjoy it I think you will score well in it which will help your ATAR and future aspirations.

In terms of the Bachelor of Biomedicine, I think (correct me if I'm wrong) it is more biology/chemistry orientated, which you are undertaking.

I hope this helps!  :)
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university