Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 01:40:07 pm

Poll

How is everyone finding online learning?

Enjoyable
1 (100%)
It's alright but rather be at school
0 (0%)
So - So
0 (0%)
Terrible
0 (0%)
I want to go back to school
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: May 17, 2020, 12:06:22 am

Author Topic: Marylen's VCE Journey  (Read 11543 times)

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
Re: Marylen's VCE Journey
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2021, 11:35:01 pm »
+2
Mary!!!!

I’m so proud of you! You’ve done so well and I loved the passion you had for psych - it was a pleasure following along your journey last year (I was almost about to say this year lol). You’re well set up for year 12, and I know you’ll do well. You’re determined and have a great work ethic. All the best for the future!
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2021, 09:31:27 pm »
+3
Hey Mary!!

Congratulations ;D ;D ;D I am so so so proud of you for getting such great scores in the middle of a pandemic. You are so hardworking and kind and I have loved following your journey.

I am also HONOURED to be in your shoutout list ❤️ I have loved helping you (even when it takes me two weeks to reply sorrryyyy) and I hope that we can help each other more this year!
Spoiler
Also, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE that you put a red head emoji next to my name, you are a true follower of my journal. I remember posting about that once and the fact that you remembered that is very sweet to me 🥰
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2021, 07:21:38 am »
Spoiler
Also, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE that you put a red head emoji next to my name, you are a true follower of my journal. I remember posting about that once and the fact that you remembered that is very sweet to me 🥰
Spoiler
You're a redhead also? ;)
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2021, 09:40:30 am »
Spoiler
You're a redhead also? ;)
Spoiler
Yes! Redheads ftw! You too I’m guessing?
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2021, 11:29:19 am »
Spoiler
Yes! Redheads ftw! You too I’m guessing?
Spoiler
2% of the population and here we are! I just hope I wasn't the only kid on Book Week primary school dressups who was Anne...?
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2021, 04:06:35 pm »
+2
CONGRATULATIONS MARYLEN!! Your scores are amazing, I can only dream of getting 40 in psych especially with that hard assss exam! I am so excited to share my Year 12 journey with such a hardworking individual such as you! All the best and have an amazing holiday <3

AND thank you soo much for the shoutout I'm very honoured!!! You've been such a great support to me as well so I hope we can carry this forward this year  ;D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 04:11:08 pm by homeworkisapotato »
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2021, 04:31:57 pm »
+2
Hey Marylen!  ;D

Congrats on those results! I'm so proud of all that you've achieved and I can't wait to follow you on your Year 12 Journey.
And I'm glad I was able to help you!  :D
All the best for the future!

Marylen

• Forum Regular
  • 'You can live with disappointment but not regret.'
  • Respect: +46
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2021, 12:17:08 pm »
+4
Warning: This topic has not been posted in for at least 30 days...
It's no surprise that some of you might've thought that I've fallen off the Earth and abandoned my VCE journal but no, luckily I'm still here and luckily, I'm still surviving year 12.

At school, my chemistry teacher handed me back my sac marks and I must admit, I did not expect to do this well. Last year, I was doing so poorly I'd be embarrassing myself if I mentioned my year 11 sac marks, let alone my mid and end of year exam results for chem, I was even considering dropping this subject but after mustering some courage and pushing myself, I'm so happy that this subject is working in my favour. I managed to get
Spoiler
98%
on my last sac, so I'm hoping that this subject will end up in my top four.

My school has decided to host the formal in term three which is kind of annoying because I was anticipating for it to be  in term 1 or 2 so that it could've been swept out of the way for me to focus on my studies. As an introverted person, I'm worried that the formal will end up being an awkward night for me ahahahha

I know that lockdowns can be annoying but I'm trying to change my mindset (approach strategies for dealing with stress amirite hehehe) by telling myself that what I can control is the amount of study I manage to fit in. Studying with a stuffy nose, high fever and an unbearably sore throat only compels me to lie in my bed all day but I know that's super unproductive! Netflix has brought some joy into my life and I've managed to catch up on The Office and Gilmore Girls.
Marylen's VCE journal

2020:
Psych: 40
Further Maths: 39

2021:
Methods, Accounting, English & Chemistry

Marylen

• Forum Regular
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2021, 12:25:42 pm »
+2
It was very rude of me to not post a reply! I'm so sorry y'all! 💕
Spoiler
Eloise:
Eloise, thank you so much for taking the time to read my journal last year (and this year as well!) I have no doubt that you'll score your dream atar at the end of this year. You're so sweet and thank you so much for helping me last year! Can't wait to see more updates! PS: GO flex your study scores you maths queen go youuu!!!
👩🏻‍🦰

Spoiler
Whys:
Omg you're still lurking round here! Ty for the wishes!

Spoiler
ashmi
Ashmi! I'm so happy for you that you got on the Top Designs list! Super envious that I couldn't hop on the school excursion to go and look at your amazing work (reserved for art students only) but I hope to go sometime soon on my own!

Spoiler
potato
Hey potato! (Can I call you by this name?) I loved reading you journal last year! It even sparked some motivation within me whenver I felt lazy lounging around in bed, mindlessly scrolling away on my phone. So happy that you got a 43 for bio! Go flex that score go you!!! Keep hustling my gurl there's no doubt you'll get that 99 atar!!!

Spoiler
Bri
Omg Bri you've been trailing along!? Thank you for the wishes! 💌
Marylen's VCE journal

2020:

2021:

Marylen

• Forum Regular
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2021, 10:30:06 am »
+5
Song of the journal update! (Inspired by Ashmi!)
This song represents the internal mental conflict experienced by Mary and her experience with the dualistic struggle between determination motivated by extrinsic means and pessimistic outlook. In this essay I will

Look, I honestly don't really know what else to say at this point. I'm typing this during my Accounting blocking so again, I think this is a huge mutual time waster for you, whoever is reading this and myself. If you're not prepared to to read about my ramblings then I suggest you turn back and head off somewhere else where time is better spent.

When I was in year 11, My goal for VCE was to get an ATAR of at least a 95+
Spoiler
🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡 Yeahh this isn't happening. I don't know if it's the lockdown or if I've overestimated my ability to succeed but I'm definitely not satisfied with the way school is going for me and how I feel like such a massive failure

If you've even bothered to read past this point, thank you. Really. I mean it. Sincerely. Now let's nosedive into my subjects.

ENGLISH
hmmmm English. English. There's no choice but to 'do well' in this subject. Am I meeting that criteria of 'doing well'? Nope. Am I trying as hard as I should? Nope. Am I writing essays? If that means one paragraph a week and half assing an essay a week, YEAH! My school has been speed running through the comparative for I Am Malala and the film Pride. Random tangent but I just find it so irritating when I hand in an essay for my teachers to mark and then she's like 'oh yeah definitely look forward to reading this!' and then I get it back two weeks later like 😐😐😐😐😐😐😐😐 Im not trying to start beef with her (hope nobody here rcognises which school I go to... yikes) but honestly can you just please mark my work please I just need feedback. Considering English is my weakest subject, this is really concerning. I don't know if my school is just trash in general but the text response took the whole english cohort two months to mark. In that period of two months, I was able to finish the entire chem textbook (oh wait I still have to revise this subject. More on that later), vacuum the house from top to bottom, exercise (a rarity) and change my phone wallpaper. If you're wondering how I went on that text response essay for Extinction, I lost four marks. I'm not going to delve any further because English marks make my head spin but I will move on now and discuss my bipolar relationship with chem.
Spoiler
Hey, before you tell me to empathise with teachers because they are busy human beings, I get that. But just please mark my essay. I feel like this never-ending cycle of my teaching refusing to mark my essay turns onto me and makes me demotivated to write more essays because I know that they will never be marked... and I will never improve in this subject

Chem
Ohhh chem. I realised that chemistry is another subject that I will just have to do well in because I will need it as a prereq (more on my course prefs later). My teacher finished the course two months ago (yep) and now I've realised that half of the u3 content has fallen out of my head. It's so annoying when you learn something quickly and you get it but then it doesnt consolidate properly and then you forget it later and then you come to learn it again and then your other subjects become weaker because you've neglected them for the sake of chemistry... I have a remote sac for chem later this week on food chem and I feel so underprepared I feel like I'm going to fail this sac. My days pretty much consist of me walking around the house chanting, 'OXYGEN IS ALWAYS THE OXIDANT in a fuel cell'.

Accounting:
This is definitely a bottom 2 subject. I put zero effort into this subject. Good news is that I haven't failed a sac and I'm hovering in a 'good percentile' to get at least  30+ ss. My class is currently learning about the DU PONT method of ratio analysis and comparing analysis techniques, return on assets, liquidity...

Methods:
I don't know why but it takes me like two hours to finish methods homework every night. At this rate, it will probably take me a day to finish exam 1. Sometimes, I just don't have time to finish everything so I cram everything for the weekends and thus, go on an entire maths methods marathon on sunday afternoon till sunday night finishing unfisnished chapters, worksheets, google classroom stuff. I wanted to vomit when I started doing the past exam questions. They require such a sophisticated level of thinking instead of the 'ready to eat meals' you get in the textbook. My teacher doesn't follow the textbook and instead prints us worksheets full of notes and past exam questions and booklets she expects completed every night. We just finished confidence intervals last thursday so now exam revision is awaiting. I hate disappointing my methods teacher. She works so hard to give us extra worksheets, stuff to revise and yet I'm still here finishing a booklet on sampling from last week.

On a more positive note, I hope that I am able to get into something related to health science/pharmacy/ pharmacy science. My number one goal and dream is to work in pharmacy. I've always thought that being a pharmacist is cool because you get to interact with members of the community and learn about drugs but then I realised there was this huge issue about the chemist warehouse monopoly... So then I decided if I were to graduate with a degree, I might as well work in hospital pharm. Sometimes when I feel hopeless, I remind myself how grateful I am to be able to attend school and how education is so valuable. In fact, education isn't just about learning cool shizz in science class and how lipids are formed... it helps you achieve social mobility and how to make a living for yourself. Although we need to sacrifice our personal time and money to achieve great marks, our education is so valuable to us. I didn't realise how privileged I am, after reading Yousafzai's memoir. A very eye opening read to say the least.

Mary

Marylen's VCE journal

2020:

2021:

Marylen

• Forum Regular
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2021, 06:55:53 pm »
+3
To my dear journal readers,
Woah, y'all still reading this? Thank you. I'm speechless. I don't know what else to say. My anticipation was that if I had forgotten about my journal, others would as well.

No more waffling, here's the song of my journal update:
Perhaps it might make reading my journal more tolerable?

English
hmmmm.... what more is there to say about this subject? I can definitely sense that my writing skills have improved within a span of one year. But will it still be enough to achieve my goal of a 35+ in English? In year 9 ish I was like oh yeah oh yeah 40, no problemo... It makes me chuckle when I look back on my mentality back then. Year 9 me spent 50% of my time on English, 45% of my time on maths and a measly 5% on science. but anyways, my point is that I made an unhealthy dedication to English in year 9 because when I heard some year 12s got raw 40s and above I wanted to be like them too.  Will I get a 40+ ABSOLUTELY NOT. Will I try. Yes. YOLO

I've sent my English teacher a grand total of 4 and a half essays for my upcoming sac on Monday and I am so irritated that zilch essays have been marked. I checked my inbox to see if I had sent them in a reasonable time frame for them to be marked but looking at my inbox, Microsoft Outlook is telling me that I sent my first essay three weeks ago so I am still wondering what's taking the department so long to mark one damn essay.

I don't know how people have the mental capacity to memorise an essay, let alone one hundred and twenty something (according to the dude who got a 45 ss in English years ago at the college) so I've been revolving around the 'cause and effect' mindset for my comparative essays. Like eg, Malala engages in activism covertly vs Mark's overt display of activism.. but consequences are, they must make sacrifices to reach their dreams blah blah and then I switch over to discussing the impacts of the egalitarianism and elitism clash by those who abuse their power and the differences include the reliance of spreading prejudice vs the brutal tyranny exhibited by the Taliban...

This update is going to be shorter than the length of the decapitated twisty in my chip packet because I'm depriving myself of the luxuries on the internet and any 'PREDICT MY ATAR' posts because I feel that it's jsut an unhealthy mindset to engage with. One of my teachers told me that you can't control your atar and scaling but you can definitely improve your marks from an 80 to a 90% or from a 90% to even a 95%. And I think taking these small, tentative steps will reduce the stress I impose upon myself on factors I can't control and instead, focus on improving my praccy exam and (final) SAC marks.

I should stop eating chips.

Mary

PS: solemn reminder to youse all including myself but just do it. Okay. Just. Do. It. You only life once.
Marylen's VCE journal

2020:

2021:

Marylen

• Forum Regular
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2021, 07:57:15 pm »
+5
Sup

First things first... IM SAC FREEEEEEEEEE My last sac was on last Tuesday and I feel so relieved. But 'don't be lazy now!' says my English teacher. Squid Game? What's that? 🦑 I haven't watched recreational TV for about a month now because I don't want to regret anything come results day. Some of you might be chuckling as you read this and think 'pftttt I haven't watched TV in a YEAR'. Sorry! I needed my dopamine kick from watching Andy performing in Sweeny Todd in June 🤷‍♀️

My school gave our mock english exams to an external marker and I finally got my highly awaited results today! I got:
Section A = 8-9/10 (Idk marker highlighted both boxes so I'm assuming I'm an 8.5?... Pretty sure half marks aren't given on real exam though)

Section B = 5/10 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 guess who didn't finish their exam... (sigh, if only I had more time to talk about how both authors emphasise how courage and valour are reciprocated yet are also challenged in their respective spheres)

Section C = 8-9/10 (feeling pretty gooooood considering my sac marks for this was terrible)

The GAT exam on the other day went pretty well! One of the teachers at my school is an examiner and she gave us the analogy that the 'GAT is like a lawnmower' so 'push it in your favour'. Sounds bizarre and it became the biggest meme at school and on the College Discord server but tbh I really liked this notion and that was what I did in my exam - wrote an expository piece outlining the significance of time for the modern man and I grouped the information into buckets that I could dissect further into each body paragraph... and wrote a 'sassy' piece of writing outlining how us flawed humans should admit to our wrongdoings otherwise we would succumb to our innate desires of protecting our self worth. Super grateful that I sat the UCAT which gave me ample time management skills to apply on the mc! Hoping my marks for this year's gat will be better than my 31 for Maths and 33 for humanities which gave me the biggest eyesore ever..... I don't know why VCAA loved my report on the evolution of cars for mankind so much that they decided to give me a 42 for written com. Besides, you music fans out there would've spotted the irony and laughed your heads off upon reading the 'songs about cars' infographic... I know I did... (Ahem, who decided to put "Little Red Corvette" on there? 😂🤔🤨)

Muck up day is on Friday and I'm not sure what to wear. From dressing up as an uno card to dressing up as Hermione Granger, so many people in my cohort are wearing such creative outfits (I had to google that squid game guard to see what all the rave was about) but I'm frugal and I don't want to spend money on an outfit so I might just come dressed up in a tacky tourist outfit and call it a day XD. Besides, I just want to have fun and not stress out on things that are VCE unrelated because of how close exams are.

Keep studying y'all! You only live once!!!!!!!!!! 🦾🦾🦾

Mary 💕
Marylen's VCE journal

2020:

2021: