Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:53:05 am

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 207550 times)  Share 

martinstran

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +8
Re: English Standard Question Thread
« Reply #705 on: October 14, 2019, 10:18:01 pm »
Thanks for the help Angelina! Sorry to bombard you with these last minute questions, but should I keep a related text in the back of my mind for the common module? I've heard from my teachers (and AN) that it's implied through the rubric that it isn't required in the HSC exam, but is it wise to brush up on things just in case?
HSC 2019
ENG (Std) 89 | MX1 98 | MX2 99| ECO 89 | S+C 94 | SOR 1 44 | ATAR: 99

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #706 on: October 15, 2019, 07:29:56 am »
+1
Thanks for the help Angelina! Sorry to bombard you with these last minute questions, but should I keep a related text in the back of my mind for the common module? I've heard from my teachers (and AN) that it's implied through the rubric that it isn't required in the HSC exam, but is it wise to brush up on things just in case?

Hey, martinstran!

No worries about asking questions at all  :) That's what this thread here is for! The related text for Common Mod was only intended to be examined internally. I think this is due to it being something from the old syllabus that teachers weren't a huge fan of. So the short answer is no, it is very unlikely that it will be asked in the HSC!

That being said, you should have done your assessment for school using it so my recommendation would be to just briefly look over it. It might be a good way to revise the module concepts from the rubric if you have time. I would definitely still prioritise your prescribed text and short answers revision over it but if you do feel like it'll be beneficial to touch on it, do go ahead  :)

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

timothy333333

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #707 on: October 15, 2019, 09:25:20 pm »
Is there a difference between 'mise-en-scene' and 'background'?

Thank you :)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #708 on: October 15, 2019, 09:46:28 pm »
+2
Is there a difference between 'mise-en-scene' and 'background'?

Thank you :)

Hey, Timothy!

Background refers to all the visual elements of a composition (film or other visual text) that appear furthest away from the viewer. Mise-en-scene is different; it's more the design and arrangement of those visual elements in order to construct the "look and feel." Think of how the placement of certain objects, lighting, props, set design and choice of film stock all contribute to creating this atmosphere for the audience to immerse in. They essentially look at similar aspects of a scene but where background just describes the composition of elements in it, mise-en-scene captures the meanings that come out of deliberately choosing to situate them there. Hope that clarifies that!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

timothy333333

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #709 on: October 15, 2019, 10:33:35 pm »
So is 'mise-en-scene' the meaning that the 'background' creates?

Also, from this, we would only talk about 'mise-en-scene' and not background?

Thank you for your help btw :)

alisontungmy

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #710 on: October 15, 2019, 10:44:10 pm »
Hello!
What is the biggest difference between a discursive and a creative/imaginative?
Everytime when I write a discursive I feel like I'm just writing a more descriptive, first person creative...
And for my trials I somehow get 17/20 when the question specifically asked for a creative, but I was writing something that was leaning more towards a discursive(in my opinion)  :-\
Thanks a lot!
HSC 2018: Mathematics(94)
HSC 2019: Maths Ext.1(94), Maths Ext.2(84), Music 2(97), Biology(90), Physics(85), Standard English(84)
Uni 2020-2024: Bachelor of Education(Secondary: Maths)/ Bachelor of Science at USyd

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #711 on: October 16, 2019, 12:13:34 am »
+1
So is 'mise-en-scene' the meaning that the 'background' creates?

Also, from this, we would only talk about 'mise-en-scene' and not background?

Thank you for your help btw :)

Hey, Timothy!

In a sense, yes  :) Here's how I would use it in an analysis!

Sample Answer
Arranged in the background are vases of wilted, assorted flowers, symbolising the protagonist's failed attempts to establish her identity. Combined with the clever use of dark filters, the mise-en-scene constructed invites the audience into a physical display that reflects the character's personal and cultural tension.

In a way, background to mise-en-scene is like setting in novels; it's more about the atmosphere. I would definitely use background as a technique on its own and then have mise-en-scene as an extension that shows how background (and what's placed in it) generates mood and meaning. Hope that clarifies that a bit better  :)

Hello!
What is the biggest difference between a discursive and a creative/imaginative?
Everytime when I write a discursive I feel like I'm just writing a more descriptive, first person creative...
And for my trials I somehow get 17/20 when the question specifically asked for a creative, but I was writing something that was leaning more towards a discursive(in my opinion)  :-\
Thanks a lot!

Hey, Alison!

Discursive writing is achieved from exploring an idea or ideas without the direct intention of persuading a reader to have a certain view. If you're drawing from personal experiences, using anecdotes and discussing an idea that emerges from those recollections, you're more than likely writing from a discursive standpoint! I often think creative writing is more fictitious and from personal experience, creative writing conceals the idea more amongst the activities of language in the text. For creative and imaginative pieces, I would draw more focus into setting, characterisation and plot, whereas discursive pieces tend to be more driven by perspectives, ideas and voice.

In the HSC exam, I don't think they will specify a form to write in so if you're feeling unsure and are asked to reflect on your writing, just refer to it by a title or as "the text" :) Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 12:00:35 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

eliza.rose

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #712 on: October 16, 2019, 04:57:18 pm »
When answering short answer questions, what is an example of a conceptual statement? Like what do you write in your first sentence?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #713 on: October 16, 2019, 09:51:22 pm »
When answering short answer questions, what is an example of a conceptual statement? Like what do you write in your first sentence?

Hey, eliza.rose!

Your conceptual statement is essentially your answer to the question. In it, you would include your judgement on how the unseen text represents an aspect of the human experience. Use the concept in the question as a means to drive it. If we look at this sample question "Analyse how language forms and features have been used to explore human motivations," your statement would need to include how human motivations are represented in the unseen text to generate meaning. An example of a conceptual statement could be something along the lines of "Exploring the complexity of an individual's motivations enables audiences to understand their relationships to human behaviour." You would then introduce the text and how it relates to that conceptual statement. Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

minh.tran278

• Adventurer
« Reply #714 on: January 20, 2020, 11:49:54 am »
Hey,
I was wondering if anyone has any particular habits strategies that they use to actually practise english std for the new syllabus.
Currently in y12 but i seriously don't have any ideas of how to start studying for my next modules being mod a, b and c.
I'm striving for that band 6 as well even tho i know it is hard to actually get one

Pls share, I'm grateful for that

minh.tran278

• Adventurer
« Reply #715 on: January 20, 2020, 11:50:16 am »
Hey,
I was wondering if anyone has any particular habits strategies that they use to actually practise english std for the new syllabus.
Currently in y12 but i seriously don't have any ideas of how to start studying for my next modules being mod a, b and c.
I'm striving for that band 6 as well even tho i know it is hard to actually get one

Pls share, I'm grateful for that

Grace0702

• MOTM: OCT 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #716 on: January 20, 2020, 02:18:56 pm »
+6
Hey!

Well first off, I think the most important thing to do in English is actually read your text!(a lot of people actually don't so please do) In my HSC I found it important to understand the context in which my text was written. So just doing some basic research to understand the cultural pushes that may have been occurring that could have possibly provoked the creation of the text you are studying. Module A (language, culture and identity) especially deals with themes of racism and politics (and many others depending on the your prescribed text) and asks you to consider the texts effect on certain social issues. Markers often look at your ability to not only analyse and draw meaning from a text, but connect this meaning to the real world and suggest what the composer may have been trying to achieve.

Like most subjects the key to success is simply practice. You need to learn how to adapt your select quotes and themes to different questions ensuring that when you are tested you are prepared. Module C is a bit different though, it asks you to apply what you have learnt about what makes a good text and compose a good text yourself. For this module I just found heaps of stimulus and past questions (even from the old syllabus) and tested my ability to write on the spot. "Lightening writing" is a great way to practice English. Giving yourself 10 minutes to write a thesis/introduction, a body paragraph, or the beginning of creative and see what amounts helps you target areas you need to improve (it definitely helped me, plus its a great way to start writing faster).

Hope this helped! :)
HSC 2019: Advanced Maths 92 || Standard English 89 || Physics 80 || Business Studies
95 || Information Processes and Technology 94 || Studies of Religion 1 45

ATAR: 96.05

2020: B Engineering/B Commerce @USYD

minh.tran278

• Adventurer
« Reply #717 on: January 21, 2020, 09:05:39 pm »
How should I come about structuring for my essay this question (for Billy Elliot) as I found it quite broad

"In what way does your prescribed text offer new insight into the anomalies in human behaviour and motivations?"

Cheers

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #718 on: January 21, 2020, 09:58:51 pm »
+2
How should I come about structuring for my essay this question (for Billy Elliot) as I found it quite broad

"In what way does your prescribed text offer new insight into the anomalies in human behaviour and motivations?"

Cheers

Hey, minh.tran278!

Looks like you've got yourself a funky question there  :o Your essay essentially needs to argue that the film has provided you with a new way of viewing and understanding what drives human actions and how those who pursue desires that may challenge the status quo are ultimately the ones who educate us the most about what makes being human so empowering. How I would recommend approaching it would be writing a thematic essay exploring a theme in each body like rejection, identity and relationships where we can see characters like Billy emerging as "anomalies" with their deviant motivations and behaviours. Three bodies should suffice for a question like this and you can use key scenes from the film to conduct your analysis. Hope that helps and let me know if you have any further questions!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

minh.tran278

• Adventurer
« Reply #719 on: January 21, 2020, 10:27:57 pm »
Hey, minh.tran278!

Looks like you've got yourself a funky question there  :o Your essay essentially needs to argue that the film has provided you with a new way of viewing and understanding what drives human actions and how those who pursue desires that may challenge the status quo are ultimately the ones who educate us the most about what makes being human so empowering. How I would recommend approaching it would be writing a thematic essay exploring a theme in each body like rejection, identity and relationships where we can see characters like Billy emerging as "anomalies" with their deviant motivations and behaviours. Three bodies should suffice for a question like this and you can use key scenes from the film to conduct your analysis. Hope that helps and let me know if you have any further questions!

Angelina  ;D

If I was to write body paras about these themes, how would I link it back to the "giving new insights" part. A better way to phrase this is, say, if I was writing about how Billy goes against everything and pursue his passion, what would be the insight that this gives the audiences about anomalies in human behaviours and motivations?