Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:09:30 am

Author Topic: Should girls be given the option to wear pants?  (Read 4690 times)  Share 

pha0015

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
Re: Should girls be given the option to wear pants?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 10:20:16 pm »
+2
At this rate androgynous wear will be the new school uniform for everyone

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2018, 12:57:23 am »
Call me traditionalist, but no.
Pants aren't in our student uniform (yet) but they are in our teacher uniform. There is only a few teachers who decide to avail themselves of this opportunity, but in the whole school's opinion, they look pretty shit... All the girls at our school accept the uniform (winter {cause I assume it's warm enough for them} and summer) and almost deride the teachers willing to try the "androgynous" option.

'It's archaic that girls should have to wear a dress'
Yeah. BS.
What is archaic is this thought...
Although most public schools offer a range of options to girls, there are still hundreds of schools around the country that do not.

Research on girls' activity levels and school uniforms showed that girls did less physical activity at recess and lunchtime when they were wearing a dress or skirt as opposed to pants.
Girls deliberately sat out lunchtime games like basketball because they were worried about their skirts flying up, a 2012 study by the University of Wollongong found.
Ok, to start with, obviously the girls of Wollongong are clearly a different make to the ones that inhabit my school, but also, the archaic idea is that the primary idea dominating a male's brain is what lies under a dress. Now, for some obscure members for society, that may be the case, but they generally abide in dark alley's, not schools. Conversations are so open nowadays, and the quote Cheaper by the Dozen, "Nothing is left to the imagination"...

So at this time, as so many have pointed out, 2018, why is this, for want of a better word, prudishness, so widespread among the female populace of Wollongong (and I assume greater NSW and Australia...)?

The real "traditionalists" are those parents that are closeting children and scaring them out of their wits ends through comments about the "old man on the corner block" ie: Anthony Jeselnik (wow he's dark!!!!). Like, in which city does he live? Anywhere in Australia? Nyet.

But like seriously?
Dr Mergler was inspired to set up Girls Uniform Agenda, which is agitating for pants to be available for all girls, after her own daughter was denied the option.
At <5, the kid is dressing almost entirely off it's mother's standards. So what the HELL is she doing setting up a "Girl's Uniform Agenda" based entirely on her kid's choice's, which are in turn entirely based on the mother's ideas. It is literally just providing the mother with another opportunity of expressing her thoughts/beliefs. This is like 0.01% about the kid.

I fully sympathize with
Queensland mum Lizzy Edwards
Because her kid has a real reason to forgo the correct uniform.

But seriously... Dr Mergler doesn't have my sympathy. I truly think that this good Doctor is 100% focused on getting her message across, no matter what.
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 05:07:34 am »
surely girls should be allowed to wear pants if they want to. don't know why schools would ban it, why do they even care lol

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 07:33:13 am »
My school is thoroughly against girls wearing pants. I think that our genders don't have to define what items of clothing we wear, and if girls want to wear pants or boys want to wear skirts then let them. Especially considering it's freezing at the moment and girl's legs feel ice cold....but we have to suffer because pants are banned. How ridiculous does that sound?
2018 HSC

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2018, 03:48:58 pm »
+4
This is absolutely not directed at the OP personally, because it's just part of our social dialogue :)

But it's been &@$%##@$ *enraging* me every time I've seen this thread heading in the forum list. As in, "given" the choice? We talk about some things like they're privileges! Instead of coerced 'choices' and deprivations based on social prejudices and power hierarchies. So, I think the question is, 'Are there really any valid reasons to keep prejudicial and discriminatory rules around that differentiate female-typed clothing from male-typed clothing in schools?'

Answer: no.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2018, 03:52:23 pm »
This is absolutely not directed at the OP personally, because it's just part of our social dialogue :)

But it's been &@$%##@$ *enraging* me every time I've seen this thread heading in the forum list. As in, "given" the choice? We talk about some things like they're privileges! Instead of coerced 'choices' and deprivations based on social prejudices and power hierarchies. So, I think the question is, 'Are there really any valid reasons to keep prejudicial and discriminatory rules around that differentiate female-typed clothing from male-typed clothing in schools?'

Answer: no.

Great post. Sums up my thoughts nicely.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.