Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 07:57:47 pm

Author Topic: Society and Culture Question Thread  (Read 49243 times)  Share 

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: Society and Culture Question Thread
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2018, 07:00:37 pm »
Hey guys,
Just a question on 5-mark questions, how much do you usually write for these types of questions? When I check the HSC marking and feedback, it's only one paragraph, but I've been doing two paragraphs for my 5-mark responses so I'm not sure if I'm spending way too much time in the exams on 5-mark questions.
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2018, 07:49:59 pm »
+2
Hey guys,
Just a question on 5-mark questions, how much do you usually write for these types of questions? When I check the HSC marking and feedback, it's only one paragraph, but I've been doing two paragraphs for my 5-mark responses so I'm not sure if I'm spending way too much time in the exams on 5-mark questions.

Hey Olivia!

I think it all depends what section the five marker is in. If you were answering a 4/5/6 marker in Section 1 (Core topic- Social and Cultural Continuity and Change), you would typically spend about 5-10 minutes on them, just filling out the provided space. Nothing more, nothing less. If you just happen to go over the provided space, don't do it too much to the point where you're cutting time into Section 2. Though if you're answering the 5 marker in Section 2, remember this rule; whatever how much the question is worth, double it and that's should be the time you should spend when answering the question. So 5 marker = 10 minutes and 15 marker = 30 minutes, thus adding up to the allocated 40 minutes per section. 5 markers in section 2 should just be one big MASSIVE paragraph anyways (same goes with 4/5/6 markers in Section 1).

Hope this helps :)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2018, 08:05:11 pm »
+1
Hey Olivia!

I think it all depends what section the five marker is in. If you were answering a 4/5/6 marker in Section 1 (Core topic- Social and Cultural Continuity and Change), you would typically spend about 5-10 minutes on them, just filling out the provided space. Nothing more, nothing less. If you just happen to go over the provided space, don't do it too much to the point where you're cutting time into Section 2. Though if you're answering the 5 marker in Section 2, remember this rule; whatever how much the question is worth, double it and that's should be the time you should spend when answering the question. So 5 marker = 10 minutes and 15 marker = 30 minutes, thus adding up to the allocated 40 minutes per section. 5 markers in section 2 should just be one big MASSIVE paragraph anyways (same goes with 4/5/6 markers in Section 1).

When you say 'one big massive paragraph' in Section 2- how much exactly?

I have two sighted questions on Social Inclusion/Exclusion (completed under exam conditions) and at the moment I have ~250 words for a 5-mark question but I'm not sure if I should do another paragraph (HSC marking feedback only showed one paragraph and my teacher didn't specify so I'm in a dilemma whether to write more or not).
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2018, 08:28:37 pm »
+1
When you say 'one big massive paragraph' in Section 2- how much exactly?

I have two sighted questions on Social Inclusion/Exclusion (completed under exam conditions) and at the moment I have ~250 words for a 5-mark question but I'm not sure if I should do another paragraph (HSC marking feedback only showed one paragraph and my teacher didn't specify so I'm in a dilemma whether to write more or not).

Depending on how big your handwriting is, the 'one big massive paragraph' I was talking about should be around 3/4 to 1.25 pages. But typically the average is around 1 page. My suggestion is to really integrate your ideas into one another so that they flow smoothly to avoid having another paragraph :)

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2018, 09:40:48 pm »
Hey guys,
My 15-mark question is on community/government organisations and its role in contributing social inclusion of a group (women) in a country (Australia). At the moment, my plan is to do one paragraph on government initiatives and the second paragraph on community initiatives, but I'm struggling to come up with an idea for my third paragraph. I was thinking of doing UN Women but it's classified as an intergovernmental organisation- does this still count as a government initiative?

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2018, 03:38:03 pm »
Hey guys,
My 15-mark question is on community/government organisations and its role in contributing social inclusion of a group (women) in a country (Australia). At the moment, my plan is to do one paragraph on government initiatives and the second paragraph on community initiatives, but I'm struggling to come up with an idea for my third paragraph. I was thinking of doing UN Women but it's classified as an intergovernmental organisation- does this still count as a government initiative?
I'd say the UN is more of a "global initiative" then a single government one.
Whats the specific wording of the question? Based on what you've said, i'm not sure it requires a third paragraph, just two super long ones? But thats just me

I have two sighted questions on Social Inclusion/Exclusion
I wish i did Social Inclusion/Exclusion  :'( :'(
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2018, 05:14:08 pm »
+1
I'd say the UN is more of a "global initiative" then a single government one.
Hey there,
I asked my teacher about this and she said it should be fine as long as I use the specific UN branch, being the UN Women National Committee Australia to tie together community and government organisations.

Anyway, it would be great if you guys were to take a look at my plans and comment on them:

Explain how individuals and groups may experience stereotyping, prejudice and/or discrimination within Australia at the macro level.
Stereotyping through media
E.g. Advertisements portraying women with unrealistic beauty standards and submissive and males prioritising athleticism --> hegemonic masculinity
Stereotype --> prejudice against women
Prejudice --> discriminate women in real-life situations
E.g. Employment where 31% women believe there is gender equality in workplace; 50% men believe there is gender equality in workplace
10% of surveyed women reported sexual harassment in workplace
Violation of the Sex Discrimination act but statistics may be inaccurate
Macro institutions can influence a woman's role in society

Analyse the roles of government and community organisations in contributing to the social inclusion of one group.
Thesis: Government/community organisations play a significant role in socially including women in Australia.

Paragraph 1: Government initiatives are important because they can influence other macro institutions
'Our Watch'- provides support to various socially excluded groups (e.g. disabled, ATSI, LGBT+)
Provide access to SVRs (e.g. technology, housing, employment, health, legal services, education)
Important in helping the 4.6% women that experience physical violence and 1.2% that experience sexual violence each year
Beneficial initiative since it helps increase awareness (e.g. increased engagement of 4.1% on social media like Facebook)

Paragraph 2: Community organisations help implement initiatives at a meso level
Community influence attitudes towards gender inequality
ATSI women are more likely to be hospitalised that general female population
Relationships Australia Victoria help provide SRVs to ATSI and migrant families (employment, education, health)
Migrant women are 7% less likely to be employed that Australian-born women
RAV doesn't focus on other SRVs like housing but 77% clients reported to have learned knowledge and new strategies in various situations --> community organisations provide benefit at meso level

Paragraph 3: Collaboration of government and community organisation help increase awareness of gender inequality through community support of government initiatives
UN Women National Committee Australia use influence as intergovernmental organisation to encourage community support
UN is able to partner with stakeholders (e.g. Vodafone campaign CodeLikeaAGirl promotes women in STEM through partnership with UN)
35% women further their studies in STEM subjects so the campaign provides free coding lessons --> access to education
UN promotes community involvement (e.g. International Women's Day --> provide media resources for communities to organise their own rally)
Former Prime Minister Julia Gillard: 'I as Prime Minister referred to as a witch, a commentator said I should be put in a chaff bag and drowned at sea.' --> reflects how giving women the opportunity to lead a community can help address the issue of lack of women in leadership positions
UN doesn't focus on providing SRVs but combination of government/community contributes to social inclusion of women through increasing awareness

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2018, 09:14:00 pm »
+1
Anyway, it would be great if you guys were to take a look at my plans and comment on them:

Explain how individuals and groups may experience stereotyping, prejudice and/or discrimination within Australia at the macro level.
Stereotyping through media
E.g. Advertisements portraying women with unrealistic beauty standards and submissive and males prioritising athleticism --> hegemonic masculinity
Stereotype --> prejudice against women
Prejudice --> discriminate women in real-life situations
E.g. Employment where 31% women believe there is gender equality in workplace; 50% men believe there is gender equality in workplace
10% of surveyed women reported sexual harassment in workplace
Violation of the Sex Discrimination act but statistics may be inaccurate
Macro institutions can influence a woman's role in society

Analyse the roles of government and community organisations in contributing to the social inclusion of one group.
Thesis: Government/community organisations play a significant role in socially including women in Australia.

Paragraph 1: Government initiatives are important because they can influence other macro institutions
'Our Watch'- provides support to various socially excluded groups (e.g. disabled, ATSI, LGBT+)
Provide access to SVRs (e.g. technology, housing, employment, health, legal services, education)
Important in helping the 4.6% women that experience physical violence and 1.2% that experience sexual violence each year
Beneficial initiative since it helps increase awareness (e.g. increased engagement of 4.1% on social media like Facebook)

Paragraph 2: Community organisations help implement initiatives at a meso level
Community influence attitudes towards gender inequality
ATSI women are more likely to be hospitalised that general female population
Relationships Australia Victoria help provide SRVs to ATSI and migrant families (employment, education, health)
Migrant women are 7% less likely to be employed that Australian-born women
RAV doesn't focus on other SRVs like housing but 77% clients reported to have learned knowledge and new strategies in various situations --> community organisations provide benefit at meso level

Paragraph 3: Collaboration of government and community organisation help increase awareness of gender inequality through community support of government initiatives
UN Women National Committee Australia use influence as intergovernmental organisation to encourage community support
UN is able to partner with stakeholders (e.g. Vodafone campaign CodeLikeaAGirl promotes women in STEM through partnership with UN)
35% women further their studies in STEM subjects so the campaign provides free coding lessons --> access to education
UN promotes community involvement (e.g. International Women's Day --> provide media resources for communities to organise their own rally)
Former Prime Minister Julia Gillard: 'I as Prime Minister referred to as a witch, a commentator said I should be put in a chaff bag and drowned at sea.' --> reflects how giving women the opportunity to lead a community can help address the issue of lack of women in leadership positions
UN doesn't focus on providing SRVs but combination of government/community contributes to social inclusion of women through increasing awareness

Hey there Olivia! I didn't do Social Inclusion/Exclusion last year but your plans look good! Great evidence as well :) Seems that you're on the right track.

denisetrann

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2018, 12:50:01 am »
I'm currently on 10 units which is risky for me and I was wondering if I don't do well in my PIP, would it greatly drag down my ATAR? I'm so over this PIP and no longer interested in it but have to get it done sooner or later, but again I only have 10 units :(

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2018, 01:35:38 pm »
+1
I'm currently on 10 units which is risky for me and I was wondering if I don't do well in my PIP, would it greatly drag down my ATAR? I'm so over this PIP and no longer interested in it but have to get it done sooner or later, but again I only have 10 units :(

Hey there! And welcome to the forums :)

As someone who also did Society & Culture on EXACTLY 10 units during my HSC last year, I must say that the PIP is actually a great way to increase your mark for Society & Culture. If you see your PIP this way- (this is probably going to be badly explained so feel free to reply to this thread if you need me to clarify stuff)

Your HSC mark for Society & Culture depends on your internal and external marks. As we know it, the PIP is 40% of your external mark, whilst your exam is worth 60%. You don't do your exam until the HSC exam period obviously. It's only you and that exam paper during that time. You will get marked on your performance during the exam alone. Once the 2 hours are done- that's it. No more. Goodbye exam. Goodbye stress. However- your PIP on the other hand, you get to work on this project during Year 12. You get to work on it at home, in class and any spare time you've got. You literally have access to gazillion of resources- including your textbook, your teacher, class discussions and more. You can ALWAYS get your PIP marked by your teacher and keep improving your project. Just really take advantage of the many resources you have access to during the remaining terms.

TL;DR: Your HSC exam is just a normal exam. Your PIP is like an open book exam- but much more flexible!

Once your PIP has been submitted, you have all the time in the world to study and practice for your SAC exam. Since you've constantly submitted your PIP for feedback beforehand and studied heaps for your SAC exam- you're bound to get a fantastic mark for SAC! I completely understand loosing interest in your PIP (this happened to me during my second term of Year 12). Though once I started to get more stuff done (get responses for my questionnaire or complete a chapter), I realised how ~pretty~ my PIP was. It was so aesthetically pleasing to look at a completed area so I knew I had to get the entire thing done. Up to this day, I like to look back at my (printed) PIP and see how ~professional~ and ~pleasing~ it was to look at.

Though I highly doubt if your PIP scores significantly lower than your SAC exam, it will affect your ATAR. Obviously you have to take into account your internal marks (not as much compared to your external marks though) and your HSC exam for SAC (definitely a defining factor). You can check out the ATAR/Scaling question thread if you need any clarification in regards to how ATARs and scaling work.

Maddyschultz

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2018, 10:33:10 am »
Hey guys, I'm doing rock n roll for my popular culture and am struggling with how id write an essay with enough content for any of the potential questions. Has anyone done rock r roll and have tips on how to prepare for the essays/any practise essays i could have a look at? thanks :))) x

roob

• Adventurer
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2018, 04:57:49 pm »
hey this might seem like a dumb question but how essential are quotes to sac? for most subjects quotes are definitely needed but from reading about it doesnt seem like thats necessarily the case for sac and examples suffice
whats the go?

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2018, 05:45:44 pm »
+3
hey this might seem like a dumb question but how essential are quotes to sac? for most subjects quotes are definitely needed but from reading about it doesnt seem like thats necessarily the case for sac and examples suffice
whats the go?
Personally, i've never used quotes and its fine. I use heaps of examples to back stuff up and it works wonders for me
A few examples explained well=Band 6 (IMO) That's how my teacher marks it. I'm usually getting  B-A range responses when i use examples.
So personally i'd say quotes aren't necessary
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

jenae.madden

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2018, 02:51:53 pm »
Hi everyone, I am currently doing the belief and ideologies unit with a focus on feminism. However I am struggling with relating it back to the syllabus, I was wondering if anyone had any notes or if they could help me specifically with the "symbols custom, and rituals" dot point. I have my symbols as Rosie the riveter and the woman power symbol, ect. I was unsure about the other two..

Thanks ! :)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2018, 10:29:15 pm »
+2
Hi everyone, I am currently doing the belief and ideologies unit with a focus on feminism. However I am struggling with relating it back to the syllabus, I was wondering if anyone had any notes or if they could help me specifically with the "symbols custom, and rituals" dot point. I have my symbols as Rosie the riveter and the woman power symbol, ect. I was unsure about the other two..

Thanks ! :)

Hey there!

I didn't do feminism for belief systems and ideologies depth study but there might be some notes on feminism in the notes section of the site!

Though if you were to talk about feminism in terms of symbols, customs and rituals, there could be different pathways you may want to use. This could possibly include the 'Slut Walk' as a custom and/or ritual as it was a way for women to protest against victim blaming and slut shaming but was also an event that empowered women to embrace the skin that they're in. There's Women's History Month that occurs every March and celebrates the contributions of women throughout history.

I'm afraid these are the only things that popped from the top of my head as I didn't study this topic but I hope this helps in some way :)