Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 09:42:01 pm

Author Topic: VCE Food Studies  (Read 15160 times)  Share 

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +84
VCE Food Studies
« on: January 08, 2018, 05:17:03 pm »
+7
Hello everyone! :)

Not sure if this is where I'm supposed to start the Food Studies thread, please anyone correct me if I'm wrong!

But just thought to start a VCE Food Studies (yes, the new study design and course!!) question thread to ask anything related to Food Studies! :)

I'm doing Food Studies myself this year, so I'm sure there will be enthusiasts like me who would have some or the other question that they're stuck on or want to find more about the course! :)

For a start, I'd like to ask people who did Food Studies last year, what did you think about the exam? I heard and read some people finding it hard to finish because there was a lot to write?
Any tips from previous students?

Thanks, foodies!! :) Love to see this thread becoming popular!   :D

2017 : Further Maths [38]
2018 : English [45] ;English Language [43] ; Food Studies [47] ;French [33] ;Legal Studies [39]
VCE ATAR : 98.10
2019 - 2023 : Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Arts at Monash University

I'm selling a huge electronic copy of  VCE English essays and resources document (with essays that have teacher feedback and marks) for $10. Feel free to PM me for details!

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: VCE Food Studies
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 05:50:27 pm »
+3
Great to see some activity in here :) Hopefully Foodies get around your post and feel encouraged to post! :D
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 06:28:55 pm »
+3
Great to see some activity in here :) Hopefully Foodies get around your post and feel encouraged to post! :D
Thanks a lot Aaron! :)
Thanks for moving the topic to VCE Food and Technology! I didn't know there was a separate page, so thanks for doing this! :)

2018 : English [45] ;English Language [43] ; Food Studies [47] ;French [33] ;Legal Studies [39]
2019 - 2023 : Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Arts at Monash University

I'm selling a huge electronic copy of  VCE English essays and resources document (with essays that have teacher feedback and marks) for $10. Feel free to PM me for details!

lovelyperson

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 07:09:11 pm »
+5
Oh my jeebus, another food student on the forums??!??! Hello!! It's so nice to see another Food student on the forums here.

I did Food last year, and yeah, the exam was hard to finish because there was soooo much to write. No one saw it coming tbh because the sample was fairly okay with how much it required us to write, and the practice exams were all relatively short. The entire state must've felt the same though cause I somehow still ended up with a sexy 40+ despite leaving the 10 marker blank ...  ::) ::) (the exam is out of 100 for reference) 

Here's some tips:
- Try and find some resources other than the textbook. It's quite frankly terrible. I'm not going to name names but there's only one so you should know what I'm talking about. It's either 1) irrelevant to the study design, 2) factually incorrect, or 3) written for the food technology study design (don't know if this was intentional but it seriously felt like it). I'm not saying that it's without merit, but try and supplement it with something else because it by itself will only get you so far. Apparently Edrolo now has Food in their subject catalogue, so maybe that if your school has it? A+ notes was also good. I would advise against the checkpoints though - most of it was either paraphrased or copy-pasted from the textbook, and only some of the questions were good. The textbook questions were enough if you wanted something to test your knowledge.
- SACs were a mix bag (so most of my advice may not be even applicable to you for most of the year lol). Each one was split into a related practical and theoretical component though. Practicals were essentially cooking a recipe, and theoretical included stuff like (this might change though since schools now have a past exam to go off on) doing a dietary and sensory analysis on organic vs non-organic foods (we did it on weetbixs, without milk :-X :-X), media analysis (reading a food-related article - ours was on sugary drinks - and answering questions about it), or a plain, simple question and answer test. My advice for practicals is to do a production plan and annotate the recipe beforehand so everything goes smoothly. You could even cook the recipe beforehand, but most of the recipes we had required weird, exotic ingredients, so unless you can find them I wouldn't bother. For the theoretical part (and the exam too), my advice would be to overwrite, within time constraints of course. Food's general marking scheme is 1 mark per overall point, regardless of how long the point may be. For example, a 2 mark question could be "explain the environmental impacts of food wastage"; a response like "most wasted food often ends up in landfills, where they then emit the greenhouse gas methane into the atmosphere. This contributes to climate change and global warming, leading to devastating effects like biodiversity loss and soil acidifcaiton" would only get 1 mark even though there's multiple parts to the answer.
- Do practice questions, especially for the exam! The exam was like a HHD exam, in that the concepts are easy so the only thing that differentiates you is how you answer the questions. Do them and get them marked (this is the !!important part!!, only way you're going to improve). I'm currently in the process of collating VCAA-style questions, based off the sample and 2017 exam, and will be posting them here shortly.
- Choose an easy recipe if you're given an design-based SAC (where you get to choose what you cook; we did). Unless there's an explicit criteria for creativity, I wouldn't go for exotic or unusual ingredients and use super technical techniques just for the sake of creative and cooking flair. Trust me, I did this in year 11 and it was so much unnecessary stress and time wasted during production.
- Do everything based off the study design, past exams and examiner's report for the exam (maybe SACs too depending on how your school runs them). This is applicable to every VCE subject, but especially for Food because most of the resources I've found so far deviate way too much from VCAA.
- For questions, spell out your thinking!! This is a common way food students lose marks; they're super brief with their answers because they just assume that the markers know certain things. Do not assume anything!! This happens a lot in Food because most of the content is common knowledge or common sense.
- A follow on from my previous point, and to put it in the most eloquent way possible, food is half bullshit, half content knowledge. There's some stuff that you have to study and memorise, but for the most part, you can make most of the stuff up. For example, one of the questions from last year's exam was along the lines of "what's the social role of food?"
- Don't memorise definitions - they won't ask you to define X term (well, at least for the exam).

I'll probably add more than to that ^^ later once more comes to mind, but for now, good luck for Food this year!! The fact that you've taken the intitative to start this thread is a pretty good indicator that you're going to do amazing!! If you have any questions even remotely food related (doesn't have to be about VCE Food Studies), please don't hesitate to chuck them my way. I'm a serious foodie so I'll be more than happy to answer them.  ;D ;D

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 07:33:58 pm by lovelyperson »

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 08:16:20 pm »
+2
I'll probably add more than to that ^^ later once more comes to mind, but for now, good luck for Food this year!!
Thank you so much for such a highly highly detailed response!!  ;D So "lovely" of you!!!  ;)
You must have done amazing this year, I'm 200% sure!! hahaha!!
You've given some great things to watch out for!! :)
Yes, please please do collate those questions that you said! I'm sure our fam's Foodies are gonna appreciate you so so much, and from me, a big thank you once again! :)

Also, do they mark the 10 mark response harshly? How did they mark your Essay SAC at school (for your own topic e.g. food labelling, accessibility, etc)
It would be great if you could share your essay SAC or any other practice 10 mark question!! (you know, just so we know what A+ standard looks like!! :)
Thanks once again, lovelyperson!! :)

lovelyperson

• Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 09:03:34 pm »
+3
Thank you so much for such a highly highly detailed response!!  ;D So "lovely" of you!!!  ;)
You must have done amazing this year, I'm 200% sure!! hahaha!!
You've given some great things to watch out for!! :)
Yes, please please do collate those questions that you said! I'm sure our fam's Foodies are gonna appreciate you so so much, and from me, a big thank you once again! :)

Also, do they mark the 10 mark response harshly? How did they mark your Essay SAC at school (for your own topic e.g. food labelling, accessibility, etc)
It would be great if you could share your essay SAC or any other practice 10 mark question!! (you know, just so we know what A+ standard looks like!! :)
Thanks once again, lovelyperson!! :)

tbh, i'm not really sure about how harshly they mark the 10 marker - the only thing i'm sure of is that they mark it holistically. but judgng from food tech exams and my own teacher's marking, i would say not that harsh? Idk, it really depends on what you consider 'harsh'. if you spell everything out and be super detailed i can't see why wouldn't get a 9 - 10.

with regards to the essay sac, we didn't have one at our school. i can't help you there, sorry :(. the only research-based and self-directed sac we had was our last one, where we had to design a dish that adhered to one of our food values (e.g low environmental impact), then justify our choices and answer questions about it after we had cooked it.

i'll try and find some of my work and post them up (can't guarantee their quality tho lol). i can probably post the 10 marker i did for the sample exam cos I'm pretty sure I emailed it to my teacher, but otherwise, I threw everything else away, sorry ( I was so angry and disappointed after the exam, and didn't want anything to remind me of it :P).

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 10:11:04 pm »
+2
tbh, i'm not really sure about how harshly they mark the 10 marker - the only thing i'm sure of is that they mark it holistically. but judgng from food tech exams and my own teacher's marking, i would say not that harsh? Idk, it really depends on what you consider 'harsh'. if you spell everything out and be super detailed i can't see why wouldn't get a 9 - 10.

with regards to the essay sac, we didn't have one at our school. i can't help you there, sorry :(. the only research-based and self-directed sac we had was our last one, where we had to design a dish that adhered to one of our food values (e.g low environmental impact), then justify our choices and answer questions about it after we had cooked it.

i'll try and find some of my work and post them up (can't guarantee their quality tho lol). i can probably post the 10 marker i did for the sample exam cos I'm pretty sure I emailed it to my teacher, but otherwise, I threw everything else away, sorry ( I was so angry and disappointed after the exam, and didn't want anything to remind me of it :P).
That's fine!!
Oh wow! We have to do the practical component like you said - designing the recipe, and then write a report/ essay (I'll find out for sure when school starts) on our chosen topic!
Yes! Please do attach your 10 mark prac piece, when you think you've got some time! It'll be really helpful! :) And how did you go in terms of marks for that practice when you showed it to your teacher? (if you don't mind sharing your mark out of 10 :) It's just that I write a bit too much all the time, so I really want to nail down my extended responses so I don't waste unncessary time!

Also, where there any other practical SACs where they told you to design your own meal? Or was it a combination of your teachers setting the recipe and your own recipe selection?
(I'm pretty sure many if not all of our practical components of our SACs are recipes that we have to choose, because my school has a heavy focus on individual assessing and how we select our recipes. But just curious to find about your system! :)

Thanks a lot for helping me out! :)

lovelyperson

• Trendsetter
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 10:42:46 pm »
+1
That's fine!!
Oh wow! We have to do the practical component like you said - designing the recipe, and then write a report/ essay (I'll find out for sure when school starts) on our chosen topic!
Yes! Please do attach your 10 mark prac piece, when you think you've got some time! It'll be really helpful! :) And how did you go in terms of marks for that practice when you showed it to your teacher? (if you don't mind sharing your mark out of 10 :) It's just that I write a bit too much all the time, so I really want to nail down my extended responses so I don't waste unncessary time!

Also, where there any other practical SACs where they told you to design your own meal? Or was it a combination of your teachers setting the recipe and your own recipe selection?
(I'm pretty sure many if not all of our practical components of our SACs are recipes that we have to choose, because my school has a heavy focus on individual assessing and how we select our recipes. But just curious to find about your system! :)

Thanks a lot for helping me out! :)

Yeah, I'll post it sometime this week. Iirc, my teacher gave me a 9 for it. she took a mark off because she wasn't entirely how they were gonna mark (guess we'll see when the examiner's report is released?) and didn't want me over confident haha - otherwise there wasn't much wrong about it. and tbh, i don't think there's any harm in overwriting in the extended response, if not, it's probably good that you're overwriting. since it's marked holistically, you kinda want to show off with everything you got because it's not like a normal question where they're like yep, they said this, 1 mark, and this, another mark. just try and bang everything else out and save as much time as possible for the extended response.

And you're so lucky!  :'( :'( We only got to choose recipes for that SAC, but probably for good reason because around $100 was spent on chocolate alone for that SAC haha.

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 11:33:33 pm »
Yeah, I'll post it sometime this week. Iirc, my teacher gave me a 9 for it. she took a mark off because she wasn't entirely how they were gonna mark (guess we'll see when the examiner's report is released?) and didn't want me over confident haha - otherwise there wasn't much wrong about it. and tbh, i don't think there's any harm in overwriting in the extended response, if not, it's probably good that you're overwriting. since it's marked holistically, you kinda want to show off with everything you got because it's not like a normal question where they're like yep, they said this, 1 mark, and this, another mark. just try and bang everything else out and save as much time as possible for the extended response.

And you're so lucky!  :'( :'( We only got to choose recipes for that SAC, but probably for good reason because around $100 was spent on chocolate alone for that SAC haha.
Bhahaha!!  ;D Yep!
Amazing work!
Ok! now I get the idea of the 10 mark! :)
Jeez it does take time for VCAA to upload the exams online!!
Thanks a lot, lovelyperson!

lovelyperson

• Trendsetter
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 03:27:53 pm »
+3
Bhahaha!!  ;D Yep!
Amazing work!
Ok! now I get the idea of the 10 mark! :)
Jeez it does take time for VCAA to upload the exams online!!
Thanks a lot, lovelyperson!

Hello MissSmiley!! Sorry this is a bit later than promised (or isn't what was), but I couldn't find the 10 marker that I sent my teacher. I must've either deleted the email (probably during my post-exam purge of Food Studies related stuff lol), or never sent one in the first place, instead printing it out and giving it to her to mark. I'm so sorry!! :(

But I do have a tip with approaching 10 markers like these though (ones that ask for your opinion), and that is to approach it like a text response essay. You don't have to go in as much depth as an essay, but in general, you should have 1) an overarching point (yes or no; no need for a nuanced contention like in English), 2) supporting points that are substantiated by evidence and explanation, and 3) a link to the stimulus material provided.

So, as a general structure:
- In your 'intro', define any terms that need defining (e.g if it's about organic eggs, define organic eggs unless they already do so in the stimulus material; self explanatory terms such as "almond milk" from the sample doesn't need to be defined) and give your opinion in a single clear sentence (e.g "Yes/No, I wouldn't buy organic eggs..")
- For your 'body pargraphs', start off with your reason and make sure it doesn't leave your marker asking "so what" (just like in English) after they've read it. For example, saying "Almond milk uses a lot of water" begs the question "so what? Why is using a lot of water bad?". Instead, start with why using a lot of water is bad. It's just easier for you to organise ideas and be succinct this way. Be narrow with this if you have enough evidence to support a narrow one, otherwise go broad. Once you've got your 'topic sentence' down pat, you can proceed with evidence and explanation. Remember to make use of the stimulus material and address every part of the question. Finish with a link back to your overall opinion to tie everything together and make it look like you know what you're talking about. Skip if running out of time.
- 'Conclusion' if you have the time, but otherwise don't care about it. It's just a nice touch where you simply restate your stance: e.g "Thus, this is why I wouldn't buy organic eggs".
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:23:21 pm by lovelyperson »

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 03:51:56 pm »
+1
Thanks a lot for your guidance, lovelyperson! :)
Really appreciate that you gave this time to help some Foodies like me!!  :D
Thanks to you, this thread is a great place to ask any questions about Food Studies ! :)

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2018, 01:56:17 pm »
Hi all!

Could I just clarify what the textbook means by "impact on the environment on overconsumption of food"?
Because everything under that sub-heading was like 'portion sizes,' 'packaging and plate size' So I was thinking how does this relate to the 'environmental' impacts? For example, under the packaging and plate size heading, there's a line that says
"It is now recognised that the environmental influences on food consumption such as serving plate size, have a major impact on overeating."
So isn't this just linked to the overall health of that person who chooses a big size plate or something and then eats a lot?

How is this related to the environment?

Sorry if we're meant to interpret this another way, but just wanted to clarify.

Thanks everyone! :)
Would love to read a response!

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 07:07:55 pm »
+1
Hi! I know this is inactive at the moment, but we need to give this topic some love. Calling all foodies!
I know there aren’t many of you out there, but I know you’re out there somewhere. I’m currently doing the subject this year, and i’m super nervous for it as there are barely any resources out there for this kind of subject, and it does get scaled down quite a bit. However, with practice, I’m sure we can do it!!!

Let’s make this active once more. It would be great to connect with some other foodies to help each other with questions and maybe even look into online study activities online such as kaboot or even sharing quizlets. Anything works!!

I hope to see some of you out there posting here and working together on this awesome subject!
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

AISHAB

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2019, 07:01:01 pm »
Hi Guys,

Are all macronutrients chewed in the mouth and churned in the stomach?

Also could someone provide a list of mechanical digestion and chemical digestion occurring in the body.

THANKS!

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2019, 07:05:07 pm »
+1
Hi Guys,

Are all macronutrients chewed in the mouth and churned in the stomach?

Also could someone provide a list of mechanical digestion and chemical digestion occurring in the body.

THANKS!

Carbs:
   - Salivary amylase begins breaking down polysaccharides
   - Bolus enters stomach and is known as chyme
   - Pancreas secretes pancreatic amylase: breaks down polysaccharides to disaccharides
   - Carbs that aren't digested in the small intestine are partly broken down my intestinal bacteria in the colon
   - Sugars and starches are broken down to glucose, which is absorbed into the blood capillaries
   - Glucose is then transported by the bloodstream and moves into cells with the help of insulin
   - Glucose is burned with oxygen to produce energy for the cell. Excess glucose is converted to glycogen and stored in the liver. Glycogen is used to
          supplement blood sugar levels when needed.
   - Carbs not used by the body are converted to adipose tissue (fat).

Protein:
   - Once in the stomach, the proteins denature (unfold) so digestive enzymes can act upon it to unlink the amino acids
   - Protein-digesting enzyme pepsin is activated, which results in smaller molecules called peptides. Any potentially harmful microorganisms that may
          have been ingested are inactivated
   - Once proteins have been broken down into amino acids, the amino acids and absorbed into blood capillaries where they are carried to the liver for
          storage
   - These amino acids are the building blocks for protein synthesis for the creation of new tissue, cells and hair. Amino acids are also the precursors in
           the creation of body chemicals, such as enzymes and hormones

Fats:
   - Bile breaks down fats and oils into smaller particles to aid digestion
   - Fats are broken down into fatty acids and glycerol, which are absorbed by the lacteal
   - In the lacteal, they recombine to form fats, which mix with lymphatic fluid then move around in the lymphatic system
   - Then they join the blood circulation as insoluble fat
   - Converted to soluble fat in the liver

All 3 macronutrients follow the same simple digestive pattern of chewing in the mouth, then passng through the oesophagus, going through the small intestine etc, so I've excluded those. The processes I have listed are those that are individually unique to each macronutrient.
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash