Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:56:17 am

Author Topic: How to conquer post highschool boredom  (Read 6369 times)  Share 

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
How to conquer post highschool boredom
« on: November 17, 2017, 11:56:00 am »
+22
Hey,
dunno if I've put this thread in the right place BUT I just thought I'd make a list of things you could do with your freedom if you are still struggling to conquer post highschool boredom. I've heard of post HSC boredom striking many a NSW year 12 but have never experienced it myself since there is so much to do! So without further ado, I give you a random list of ideas to occupy your time:

- Get a job/ work
- clean the house
- write, write ANYTHING
- create art
- get some work experience
- make a short film
- go camping
- take up a hobby
- learn a new skill
- go on day trips to explore!
- organise a holiday with friends (or several)
- just genrally doing stuff with friends
- decide on your prefferred Uni if you havnt done so already
- get your drivers liscence if you don't have it already
- Do an RSA, RCG or barista course
- volunteering
- Read
- redecorate/ organise your bedroom
- do some gardening
- dance
- plant some terrariums
- learn to cook/ learn to cook a new food
- Have FUN!

Hope you use this break wisely, and feel free to leave more suggestions!  ;D

HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: How to conquer post highschool boredom
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 12:04:03 pm »
+4
Post HSC I just played as many games as I could.

Big 1-up to that drivers licence though.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 12:14:24 pm »
+10
Yeah, you should probably learn how to drive.

I didn't, and I still haven't, and I'm an idiot.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 12:18:49 pm »
+3
Yeah, you should probably learn how to drive.

I didn't, and I still haven't, and I'm an idiot.
No one's an idiot =)

It's just that people are lazy to get it or either don't need it to get around =).

As for me .. I defs need it to get to work ^^.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 12:25:08 pm »
+3
Jumping on the getting your Ps bandwagon - get some driving lessons, get your 120 hours and bob's your uncle! The driving test isn't even that bad, and I got my manual licence so I imagine anyone driving an auto would have it even easier.

Also want to add in - just enjoy the feeling of having nothing pressing to do :) Boredom can be nice, sometimes!

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 12:36:22 pm »
+4
Highly recommend some form of embracing the boredom.  Practicing just sitting, still, breathing through your nose, with nothing (that includes no phone/tech!), for periods of time.  You'll learn a lot about yourself, it won't necessarily be pleasant, it's not fancy, but it will be SO useful.

+ ofc recommend yoga :p
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

peterpiper

• Forum Obsessive
  • ppp
  • Respect: +257
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 12:53:21 pm »
+3
My recommendation is always play sims for the short-term if you're incredibly bored. You will find yourself making a list of things to do as you play:
make families
kill families
make graveyards
make houses
get rich
make babies
marry grown babies
make alien babies
....and the list goes on.
2017: VCE COMPLETED

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 12:54:37 pm »
+2
I just finished my last uni exam of first year.... I'm already bored - these suggestions are great!?!?

Anybody have any others??
HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW  

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 01:27:28 pm »
+2
Big 1-up to that drivers licence though.
I feel personally victimised by this :(

I'll get it once the boredom kicks in...
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 03:58:58 pm »
+1
Something I posted here a few days before this thread began that I feel some people may have missed. It should work regardless of whether you're a VCE, HSC or other Australian equivalent graduate as of the last few weeks.

Here's something I made up for the Class of 2017 Year 12 graduating students who have no idea what to do with their free time after exams.
Quiz to determine what to do if you're finished with exams
Question 1a. Do you have your Ls?
Yes: See Question 1b.
No: Now's probably a good time to get started. See Question 2 for more activities.
Question 1b: Do you have your Ps?
Yes: Good on you. See Question 2 for more activities.
No: Get those hours up! Time to find a driving instructor or a fully-licensed adult you trust to go practise. See Question 2 for more activities.
Question 2: Have you ever had a job? Do you also have a Tax File Number (TFN)?
Yes: If you still have it, you can probably ask to do more now. If you don't, either it's time to look for one, go back if possible or volunteer and build up your resume! (It's also probably high time to rewrite your resume.) Dig up your TFN for course offers next year if you're looking at CSP places (see "edit" outside spoiler). See Question 3a for more activities.
No: Time to go job hunting, mate. Also probably time to get a TFN (read "edit" outside spoiler). Read from the "If you don't" section, in the "yes" answer above. See Question 3a for more activities.
Question 3a: Did you stop watching your favourite shows for exams?
Yes: Time to either marathon it again or find the newest series and watch it! Bring on the popcorn! See Question 4 for more activities.
No: See Question 3b.
Question 3b: Did you have a favourite show prior to exams?
Yes: Time to marathon it again. See Question 4 for more activities.
No: Oh, that's not your thing? What about books, videos, music albums, movies, games or other entertainment then? Surely there's something of interest to you out there. See Question 4 for more activities.
Question 4: Did you get enough sleep and exercise during exams?
Yes: Wow, good on you! You're super good at keeping to schedules. See Question 5 for more activities.
No: Time to get that back on track! See Question 5 for more activities.
Question 5: Do you have any hobbies you haven't revisited in a while? Friends who are done with exams too and you haven't seen for a while?
Yes: There you go! Go and visit them again. See Question 6a, especially if you said you haven't seen your friends in a bit.
No: Time to find some! Join a community club, go outdoors or stay at home watching Netflix or go on the internet flicking mindlessly through semi-interesting Youtube videos until you find something interesting. Better yet, add to AN's forums. See Question 6a for more activities.
Question 6a: Are you and your friends are bored and seemingly have nothing to do still?
Yes: You guys should pack for Schoolies. If that's not your thing, then you could have a tame version nearby and visit local tourist attractions, go Christmas shopping or just do some fun activities together for a couple of days. If it's money you don't have, go back to Question 2. Otherwise, see Question 7 for more activities.
No: Time to do whatever doesn't bore you together. If that's not possible, see Question 6b.
Question 6b: Are your friends not done yet/ do you not have that many friends?
Yes: Time to go back to Questions 1- 5 to occupy your time in the meantime. See Question 7 for more activities.
No: If they're done, time to go back to Question 6a. If that doesn't help, go back to Questions 1 - 5 for help. If neither of those help, see Question 7.     
Question 7: Do you have a good list of activities to do now?
Yes: It's time to get started on that! :)
No: Alright, we have two final options. (1) Time to think about a good bucket list to do and revisit Question 1 - 6 in the hopes of finding a more extreme list of activities or (2) Join the ranks of AN and contribute until we find something to interest you!   
I am not so good with constructing diagrams so if someone has some free time, feel free to make one of this. It'll probably be more comprehensive that way.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that if the above was relevant to you, this advice will help: If you do not have a Tax File Number (TFN) and you are intending on getting a job or go to university/ tertiary institution on a CSP (i.e. you want a HECS loan, instead of paying full fee), you will need to apply for one during this extended break.
To make things easier for you, here's the link to begin the process.

Additional short courses (for work/ volunteering), getting paperwork/ certifications for work/ volunteering (e.g. Working with Children Check) and volunteering should be considered as part of Question 2.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 04:24:06 pm »
+9
- learn a coding or programming language
- learn basic computer architecture/management.

Jobs of the future will require this level of critical thinking and problem solving. Honestly, having some sort of knowledge in relation to this will also save you $$ in the long term. Diagnose and rectify simple problems without having to pay the technician $50+, learn how to create a website so if you start a business or something you are able to DIY instead of paying someone hundreds of dollars for the same thing.

As someone who is qualified as an IT professional, it really is funny how much some charge for an extremely basic service.... and the worst part is, everyone who isn't technologically-inclined just nods and agrees to pay up.

So my advice to anybody who is sitting around doing absolutely nothing - learn a digital language.

HTML/CSS/Javascript is a good start for those looking to get into the web development/design space.
PHP - backend scripting.
Python - a good foundation language to begin with, ideally moving into more complex languages later on (e.g. C++, Java)

A lot of us on ATAR Notes are tutors (or considering the prospect of tutoring and offering their services). What better way than to learn how to create a website to market yourself even further? Honestly, people want ready access to information without hassle.

There's plenty of tutorials, videos, paid courses etc around. All you need to do is gain the motivation to do so :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 04:32:33 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 06:00:20 pm »
+2
- write, write ANYTHING
Best suggestion ever.
Write a journal like your thoughts or a dairy even of your life.
I still treasure my some of my earlier journal entries and laugh at how I was such a worry wart, but also smile at the times I predicted my future actions as well. I also get nostalgia from reading my entries.
That being said don't keep in limited to writing your thoughts on anything you want or having a daily log. You can have an excuse journal, a personal manifesto like your principles/morals/values you want, write a 10-year plan, write a letter for your future self like when you finish university or for your 21st birthday or even make a book dedicated to things your grateful for.
If you want, you can even write down drafts for things you think would be good for ATARNotes (Something I do quite often now due to the break I have now 8) )

I would also recommend to make a Linkedin account (If you have one, then update it).
-This is like the "professional" Facebook where people connect with each other in their industry.This is not a PERSONAL social media account
-It is useful for building and maintaining your network (You can also make an excel spreadsheet for this as well; I do this as well. PM for the templates)
-Most industry members will ask to add you on this. So get used to it.
-It is even more critical if your industry uses this as a networking platform like IT, Engineering, Business, etc
This site is made by Linkedin and is extremely useful for learning about the basics of Linkedin.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 03:13:39 pm by zofromuxo »
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

The Bus

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 06:45:53 pm »
+1
- learn a coding or programming language
- learn basic computer architecture/management.

Jobs of the future will require this level of critical thinking and problem solving. Honestly, having some sort of knowledge in relation to this will also save you $$ in the long term. Diagnose and rectify simple problems without having to pay the technician $50+, learn how to create a website so if you start a business or something you are able to DIY instead of paying someone hundreds of dollars for the same thing.

As someone who is qualified as an IT professional, it really is funny how much some charge for an extremely basic service.... and the worst part is, everyone who isn't technologically-inclined just nods and agrees to pay up.

So my advice to anybody who is sitting around doing absolutely nothing - learn a digital language.

HTML/CSS/Javascript is a good start for those looking to get into the web development/design space.
PHP - backend scripting.
Python - a good foundation language to begin with, ideally moving into more complex languages later on (e.g. C++, Java)

A lot of us on ATAR Notes are tutors (or considering the prospect of tutoring and offering their services). What better way than to learn how to create a website to market yourself even further? Honestly, people want ready access to information without hassle.

There's plenty of tutorials, videos, paid courses etc around. All you need to do is gain the motivation to do so :)
Would a MacBook be fine for learning this kind of stuff and running the programs required?
You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. “You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap.”

🙏

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 06:47:21 pm »
+2
Would a MacBook be fine for learning this kind of stuff and running the programs required?

Python - yes: https://www.python.org/downloads/mac-osx/

HTML/CSS/Javascript - can be read by any web browser so yes

PHP - probably would be the one you'd run into a bit of trouble with. This requires a web server of some kind (e.g. paid or XAMPP as a local alternative).

The good thing about a Mac is the fact that you can get XCode and investigate Swift and objective-C for iOS App development (if you were serious).. would definitely not recommend if you've never touched a programming language before. Android uses Java so you know... it's about what side you want to pick and stick with. :)

Another thought: if you really want to go back to basics - get Scratch. Ideal for those who haven't experienced it before and it teaches you the foundations of programming in a visual/colourful environment. This is like an upper primary/lower secondary resource but good as a back-to-basics if you need it.

i am personally anti-apple, android is open source and freeeeeeee
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 06:59:44 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Vaike

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +236
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 07:15:05 pm »

Any in particular you'd recommend? I've tried to learn a language before but always get stuck at the point where I've learned the basics, yet there seems a huge gap to the 'harder stuff' and no real middle ground.