Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:28:28 pm

Author Topic: My Gap Year Journal  (Read 13328 times)

Caitlynk_22

• MOTM: DEC 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +238
My Gap Year Journal
« on: January 01, 2019, 06:22:32 pm »
+17
Inspired by Mada!

Hey everyone! My name is Caitlyn. Some of you may know me from my HSC Journal from last year where I documented my final year of high school. Right now, I am having a gap year to earn some money and really think if I want to go to uni. The main reason I am taking a gap year is because I want to earn money. This is because I have to move away from my country town to a coastal (I think it is) city. Newcastle. And to be honest, I am so excited to 2020 to come around. Bring on uni!

But first... 2019.

It's finally 2019, 2018 went so quickly it wasn't funny. I thought that the year was going to go reasonably slowly due to it being HSC year and all. But now, months after we finished school and got our results back, I must say that ending highschool wasn't really the happiest moment of my life. It actually made me sad watching the NYE 12am fireworks.

So I still have actually got to find a job, as its pretty hard being in a country town and I am still 17. I think the job scene will pick up in early January so I should be fine. I have applied for a few jobs, one at the post office and a few others.

I'm kind of scared of what's to come. Only one of my friends is taking a gap year meaning all the others are moving away from town and going to uni's far far away. It'll be sad to see them all go but they are all saying come to Sydney to visit us! I'm like it depends if I have work or not....

In the meantime, I have been working at my parents business doing odd jobs that my mum doesn't want to do (She has two jobs, a receptionist and as a teacher) so it's good experience plus I am earning some money.

I hope this journal will help motivate me to do somethings that I have never done before and help me work through this year without a hitch. It'll be a long hard year but I hope you can all help me as you did in 2018!

Thank you! Byeeeee

2018 - HSC - My HSC Journal 2018
2019 - Gap Year - Cert 3 @ TAFE My Gap Year Journal
2020 - 2022 B of Design (Architecture) @ UoN My University Journal

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Re: My Gap Year Journal
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 06:36:11 pm »
+9
Hey Caitlyn!
It's good to see someone else who is takng a gap year!

I wish you the best of luck with finding a job, it will really help. But i think the job scence may pick up more towards the end of january as a lot of businesses may be coming back from holidays.

Also, being scared is part of the experience i think. I'm pretty nervous about whats to come in my journey.

Just remember you're not alone okay? I'm here if you want to share some thoughts about the coming year
And i look foward to following this thread as you progress

Best of luck with everything!!  ;D
Adam
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

Caitlynk_22

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 05:09:28 pm »
+9
Best of luck with everything!!  ;D
Adam

Thanks a lot :D I think I'll need all the support I can get.

Hi everyone! So its been about a week (ish?) since I last wrote in the journal. Not much has happened except that today I finally went job hunting, wandering my small town asking managers if they had any positions available etc. It was okay, I handed a few resumes out so fingers crossed!

I also walked into my local bookshop asking as well and they were like ' Currently we only have a gap year job available' and I was like 'I'm on gap year!' (Obviously didn't say it like that hahaha). So I applied there, I feel like I might actually have a chance there because I went in there so often. We had a nice little chat about the subjects I did in school, which school I went to, and what I planned to do in 2020. FINGERS ARE FRICKEN CROSSED!

To fill my time up a bit, I have been working at my parents business doing all those random things no one wants to do. It earns me money so I don't mind :)

Anyway, adios amigos!

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 06:09:50 pm »
+4
Good luck for the jobs! 😁 Working in a bookshop would be fantastic!!

Caitlynk_22

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 01:25:21 pm »
+9
Hey everyone!

I think it kind of hit me today that I won't see my friends as much anymore. Its kind of sad but a part of me is like 'Everyone is starting fresh and new, starting another chapter in their lives'. I saw my friends snapchat story, she's moved into her uni accomodation already. It makes me think if I should have gone to uni this year - to start something new and independent. But another part of me is like, 'You made the right decision. You are going into the adult world, its a new chapter for you too. You're gonna get to uni as well even if it is a year after everyone else.'

I'm glad that I decided to do this. Take a gap year to decide if architecture is really what I want to do and to get some experience in the real world. A chance for me to really grow up (as well as turning 18 in a month).

I think I'll really miss my friends. We've been with each other for the past four years (for me, cause I changed schools in year 9). I'm grateful for all the experiences we have had together.

This year is going to be tough and so is the year after and the year after that. It'll be tough but I think we'll all make it.

Anyway, quite a dark and sad post but ya know. If you've read some of my hsc journal you'll know I can be a bit moody etc...

About the job, they said they would ring this Friday and I really really want the job :D

Ok, baiii!

Caitlynk_22

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 02:25:35 pm »
+10
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

About that job I applied for? I uh have an interview tomorrow with the owners of the shop and I am SO nervous! It's literally my first ever job interview. Margaret, one of the owners rung me just then and asked me what time I'd like to come in, she also said it was more of a casual chat to see if I would fit in the the bookstore. I HAVE MY FINGERS CROSSED. Though, I cannot wait. I have a feeling that the interview will go well because I am a reader and I guess cause it's a bookstore.

Has anyone else been nervous before a job interview? Also, I've been wondering what I should wear tomorrow? Dress nice? I guess?

Anyway, that was a quick update. WISH ME LUCK!

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 03:12:05 pm »
+6
Yay congrats on the interview!!

It’s natural to be nervous before an interview — I’m always nervous before interviews but you will get more comfortable as the interview goes on. Wear smart casual to interviews that don’t specify a dress code because you don’t want to turn up in shorts and a t-shirt or something like that ahaha

Best of luck!!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 08:44:19 pm »
Best of luck! You'll smash it. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 11:06:16 am »
+4
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!
(Image removed from quote.)

About that job I applied for? I uh have an interview tomorrow with the owners of the shop and I am SO nervous! It's literally my first ever job interview. Margaret, one of the owners rung me just then and asked me what time I'd like to come in, she also said it was more of a casual chat to see if I would fit in the the bookstore. I HAVE MY FINGERS CROSSED. Though, I cannot wait. I have a feeling that the interview will go well because I am a reader and I guess cause it's a bookstore.

Has anyone else been nervous before a job interview? Also, I've been wondering what I should wear tomorrow? Dress nice? I guess?

Anyway, that was a quick update. WISH ME LUCK!
Ah, congrats! I know it's a bit late but here's my tips regarding what to wear. I'd recommend dressing smart casual - so a nice dress (no logo) or shirt and pants that are generally considered mature and safe should be good. Skip the ripped jeans and fluoro or flashy items. You don't have to go business shirt and stuff seeing as it's a bookshop, but a plain dress at knee length will do the trick. If you wear make up, keep it rather natural. Shoes-wise, find something you'd think would work with your outfit and would probably be necessary to work in a bookshop e.g. no sandals, but flats, school shoes or small heels (that look slightly more professional) would probably work.   

Hope you smash that interview. :)
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Caitlynk_22

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 02:18:10 pm »
+5
HI EVERYONE!

First, I just want to say thank you to everyone who supported me and wished me luck for the interview.

Second, I just got home. I think it went quite well! Margaret was really nice and I think its a maybe that I might get the job? I think there were a few other applicants as well so ugh. I am praying that I get the job. I might hear back from them this afternoon or tomorrow.

Anyway. Goodbye. *Fades from sight*

Caitlynk_22

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 05:21:02 pm »
+13
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

So, I GOT THE JOB! I'm so excited! Oh wow. I can't believe it :)

Thanks everyone for the support!!

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 05:23:40 pm »
+2
Congrats! ;D
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 06:20:52 pm »
+1
Yay!!!! Congrats!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 06:48:43 pm »
+1
Awesome. Congratulations - that's excellent news, and very exciting!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Caitlynk_22

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 12:13:55 pm »
+4
Awesome. Congratulations - that's excellent news, and very exciting!
Yay!!!! Congrats!
Congrats! ;D

Thank you!! It was really nerve wracking waiting for a phone call - to see if I'd actually get one at all.

Anyway, this week is gonna be packed full of stuff!

Monday - Going out to buy some food? Yes, that's what I'm gonna do.
Tuesday - Game of Thrones Season 7 marathon with my best friend
Wednesday - Worry about starting job. Remember to fill out tax file form thingy to give to my boss(?)
Thursday - Start job. SO NERVOUS.
Friday - Work. Then over to my friends house for a sleep over (before they all leave for uni)
Saturday - Rest of my friend group comes over, doing secret santa (extremely late) and going out for coffee. Also officially 20 days till I turn 18.
Sunday - Bid farewell to my best friend who is leaving for uni. It's so sad, I don't know what I'm going to do without her.

Then the weeks after that, my other friends are leaving :( and I will fall into the (almost) endless work for a year as well as doing Tafe. It's kind of scary to be starting a new chapter in life but I'm sure I'll get used to it! Also, I am actually excited to finally turn 18 in February.

Goodbye! I am going to do something useful now... maybe.