Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:06:06 am

Author Topic: Grade Distributions for Assessments - SACS?  (Read 6271 times)  Share 

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +66
Grade Distributions for Assessments - SACS?
« on: July 26, 2009, 12:00:52 am »
In the different subjects on the statistical reports for each subject
At the website http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/vce/statistics/2007/statssect3.html

They have the Exams and the SACS for each subject. Can someone explain to me how the SAC part of each subject works? There is a percentage for students getting an A+ and the score. For example chemistry there is 23% A+ and 182-200/200 is an A+. How does this work since it is marked against the school? It's confusing ><

Thanks.
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

2011: BSc @ UoM

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

20XX: MEDICINE

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
Re: Grade Distributions for Assessments - SACS?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 11:55:09 am »
The SAC marks are the marks students got after moderation from VCAA.  Using your example for Chemistry, it means that when the results come out, not only will you get a study score but you will get 3 grades:

Graded Assessment (GA) 1: Unit 3 Exam
GA 2: Unit 3 & 4 SACs
GA 3: Unit 4 Exam

With GA 2, it just means that 23% of all Chem students received an A+ for their SACs after moderation from VCAA.  In other words, those lucky 23% of Chem students (9045 students) last year saw an A+ next to GA 2 with their results.

You can also see that in order to get an A+ for SACs, you needed 182-200/200.

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 01:13:10 pm »
The SAC marks are the marks students got after moderation from VCAA.  Using your example for Chemistry, it means that when the results come out, not only will you get a study score but you will get 3 grades:

Graded Assessment (GA) 1: Unit 3 Exam
GA 2: Unit 3 & 4 SACs
GA 3: Unit 4 Exam

With GA 2, it just means that 23% of all Chem students received an A+ for their SACs after moderation from VCAA.  In other words, those lucky 23% of Chem students (9045 students) last year saw an A+ next to GA 2 with their results.

You can also see that in order to get an A+ for SACs, you needed 182-200/200.

oooh okay thank you. so basically that 182+/200 means you'd need roughly 91% average overall in SACS to get an A+ in GA2 (after VCAA moderation)?
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 03:23:21 pm »
Well, it's hard to say what sort of average mark you need to get an A+ for GA 2 (SACs). 

To be more accurate, your SAC marks are dependent on your exams.  Even if you get 99.99% average in your SACs but stuff up one or both your exams, VCAA will adjust (lower) your SAC marks to match your exam result.

SACs are merely used to rank you.  It's not the mark that matters; it's the ranking.  It is your mark in comparison to everyone else doing that particular subject in your cohort.

All in all, try to aim for the top SAC mark, slaughter the exams, and you can hope to get 40+ for Chem.  :D

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 06:39:40 pm »
Well, it's hard to say what sort of average mark you need to get an A+ for GA 2 (SACs). 

To be more accurate, your SAC marks are dependent on your exams.  Even if you get 99.99% average in your SACs but stuff up one or both your exams, VCAA will adjust (lower) your SAC marks to match your exam result.

SACs are merely used to rank you.  It's not the mark that matters; it's the ranking.  It is your mark in comparison to everyone else doing that particular subject in your cohort.

All in all, try to aim for the top SAC mark, slaughter the exams, and you can hope to get 40+ for Chem.  :D

Ah. It's so confusing but thank you. I meant 91% because it was 182/200. I will just aim high and hope >_>

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 07:35:02 pm »
Your welcome.

Basically for the bolded parts in my last post, I was just trying to say, it doesn't matter if you fail a SAC - provided everyone else (or most people) fail the SAC with you.

For example, if everyone who does Unit 4 Chem at your school gets < 5% for their first SAC and you get 6% it doesn't matter that you and everyone else has failed because at the end of the day you've beaten all of them and are currently ranked number 1.  :)

EDIT: That's why when my teacher gives me back my SAC, I don't care what I got because that's not important - it's the ranking.  I always ask for the class average if they don't tell me the average. 

it gives me a good indication of where I am ranked.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 07:37:26 pm by Gloamglozer »

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 07:55:05 pm »
Your welcome.

Basically for the bolded parts in my last post, I was just trying to say, it doesn't matter if you fail a SAC - provided everyone else (or most people) fail the SAC with you.

For example, if everyone who does Unit 4 Chem at your school gets < 5% for their first SAC and you get 6% it doesn't matter that you and everyone else has failed because at the end of the day you've beaten all of them and are currently ranked number 1.  :)

EDIT: That's why when my teacher gives me back my SAC, I don't care what I got because that's not important - it's the ranking.  I always ask for the class average if they don't tell me the average. 

it gives me a good indication of where I am ranked.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure i get it. There are three psych classes this year, so i guess i'll try and find out where i'm ranked among them :)