Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 10:31:05 pm

Author Topic: Should I take Year 12 Legal Studies if I didn’t take it in Year 11?  (Read 1091 times)  Share 

katarmy

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Hi everyone!

I’m in the process of changing one of my subjects for Year 12 as I really struggled with one of them this year, and only see myself struggling more next year.

Out of all of the options for classes I can change into, I have really been considering Legal Studies. Since I did not study Unit 1&2, I’m wondering how disadvantaged I will be. If so, what can I do to prepare myself for Unit 3&4? I already plan on buying and reading through the 1&2 textbook over the summer, so any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

marcus.delios

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
Re: Should I take Year 12 Legal Studies if I didn’t take it in Year 11?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 02:05:01 pm »
+6
Hey there!
They're extremely different. There's small foundational knowledge you can gain from Unit 1&2 such as really important cases you have to have to know, and civil torts, which would be a helpful, but for the most part, legal studies isn't tremendously difficult. Anything you didnt learn in 1&2 is really simple to grasp the concept of in 3&4. Unit 3&4 almost feels like a different subject in a way from 1&2, I felt like I was learning some completely different concepts all together. You will be doing the second year of the study design as well meaning you'll have plenty of resources available to you which we didn't get.

The best advice I could give is that it's one of those subjects where its quite easy to fall behind in, as long as you're willing to do the work in class you'll never drop a C+ in a SAC.

It doesn't scale too horribly as well. I'd highly reccomend it.
Marcus  :)

katarmy

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Should I take Year 12 Legal Studies if I didn’t take it in Year 11?
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 05:37:25 pm »
Hey there!
They're extremely different. There's small foundational knowledge you can gain from Unit 1&2 such as really important cases you have to have to know, and civil torts, which would be a helpful, but for the most part, legal studies isn't tremendously difficult. Anything you didnt learn in 1&2 is really simple to grasp the concept of in 3&4. Unit 3&4 almost feels like a different subject in a way from 1&2, I felt like I was learning some completely different concepts all together. You will be doing the second year of the study design as well meaning you'll have plenty of resources available to you which we didn't get.

The best advice I could give is that it's one of those subjects where its quite easy to fall behind in, as long as you're willing to do the work in class you'll never drop a C+ in a SAC.

It doesn't scale too horribly as well. I'd highly reccomend it.
Marcus  :)

Thank you Marcus! That has given me some reassurance about picking it up. I appreciate it!