Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 05:46:20 am

Author Topic: Subject review requests  (Read 134488 times)  Share 

emchun

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Subject review requests
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2014, 10:59:39 pm »
I didn't do MTH1010 but I just had a look at the exam paper. Out of the 6 questions, 3 are purely computation, eg.
Solve or find the inverse of .

And the remaining 3 are word questions. But they are nothing like VCE Maths Methods, but more like Year 10 linear equations sort of word questions.

Eg. A population of birds in a National Park varies in size over a year. The population is at its lowest of 100 in July and rises to a maximum of 1000 in January, then falling again to 100 by the next July. Assuming that the population size is a sinusoidal function of time,
(i) sketch a graph showing how the population varies with time over 2 years. Use the month of July as the starting month; and
(ii) determine a formula for the curve you sketched in part (i).

Hope this helps a little.

Wow, thank you! If most of the questions are like that in the exam then I definitely think I can do alright on it. Would MTH1020 be similar? Not the same content but as in how the questions are set out like the examples you showed above.

m.Chemia

« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2014, 11:37:39 pm »
Wow, thank you! If most of the questions are like that in the exam then I definitely think I can do alright on it. Would MTH1020 be similar? Not the same content but as in how the questions are set out like the examples you showed above.

I didn't do MTH1020 personally either so I really can't comment on assignments but looking at the exam paper, the maths involved is definitely harder than MTH1010 (not surprisingly) but again, out of the 6 questions, there would be total of ~1 has 'context', all others are purely computation. Most maths unit from MTH1030/35 onwards, for exams at least, the questions involve computation, deriving certain results/methods for applied maths units or proving theorems for pure maths units, but no more high school 'analysis questions'.

So don't be put off by the stupid VCE Maths Methods and definitely consider doing some MTH units if you think you can handle the theory. Good luck.

emchun

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2014, 11:43:05 pm »
I didn't do MTH1020 personally either so I really can't comment on assignments but looking at the exam paper, the maths involved is definitely harder than MTH1010 (not surprisingly) but again, out of the 6 questions, there would be total of ~1 has 'context', all others are purely computation. Most maths unit from MTH1030/35 onwards, for exams at least, the questions involve computation, deriving certain results/methods for applied maths units or proving theorems for pure maths units, but no more high school 'analysis questions'.

So don't be put off by the stupid VCE Maths Methods and definitely consider doing some MTH units if you think you can handle the theory. Good luck.

Thank you so much! I feel so much more hopeful of being able to do good in MTH1010 and MTH1020.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2014, 09:22:38 am »
Probably a long shot, but I would be more than grateful if anybody had input on:

- ATS2682 (/ATS3682): Second Language Acquisition and Attrition
- ATS2679 (/ATS3679): Psycholinguistics and Child Language Acquisition
- ATS2681 (/ATS3681): Structure of English
- ATS2671 (/ATS3671): Managing Intercultural Communication
- ATS2628: Power and Poverty in a Globalised World
- ATS2698: Middle East Politics: Continuity, Change, Conflict and Co-operation
- ATS2872: Topics in Indian Philosophy

In return, I have completed the following units, should anybody have any questions:

- ATS1314: Human Rights Theory 1
- ATS1325: Contemporary Worlds 1
- ATS1338: The Language Game: Why Do We Talk The Way We Do?
- PSY1011: Psychology 1A
- ATS1315: Human Rights Theory 2
- ATS1326: Contemporary Worlds 2
- ATS1339: Describing and Analysing Language and Communication
- PSY1022: Psychology 1B
- ATS1371: Life, Death and Morality (Introduction to Philosophy A)
- ATS2637: The Human Body and the International Marketplace
- ATS2667: Language Across Time
- ATS2767: Sociolinguistics

Please and thank you!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 09:30:01 am by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

achre

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +72
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2014, 02:26:22 pm »
Haven't done any of the units you're after, but I'd love to hear anything you have to say about contemporary worlds 2! Especially about the article review and the presentation. (If that was in your year of completion)

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2014, 04:13:38 pm »
If anyone could review ATS 1835 (Time, Self, and Mind), that'd be awesome. Well, I don't particularly need a review, I just want to know how easy the assessment and exam is.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2014, 05:38:30 pm »
+2
Haven't done any of the units you're after, but I'd love to hear anything you have to say about contemporary worlds 2! Especially about the article review and the presentation. (If that was in your year of completion)

Hi Achre,

I won't write a full review, as I can't remember the unit well enough to do one justice. I very much enjoyed both Contemporary Worlds 1 and 2, but probably more so Contemporary Worlds 2. I came in very, very ignorant in regard to world history, and felt as if I finished Contemporary Worlds with a better (but still limited) understanding of some fairly important historical issues.

Unfortunately, I don't remember an article review nor a presentation of any description. I'm not sure if the assessment has changed from last year, or if I just have a poor memory of the unit. The way I remember it, assessment included a website review (which may be the article review to which you are referring), which I found rather mundane but easy enough; a major essay; an in-class test; and the exam, which was nicely structured and easy to revise for.

The unit itself focuses on globalisation (which discusses issues briefly covered in HHD Unit 4, if you did that), including things such as global marketing, migration and the environment. My tutor - Jess O'Leary - was one of the best I've had, but I'm not sure if she will be part of the unit again next semester.

Apologies for not being able to provide a more detailed review. I would definitely recommend the unit, though!

All the best.  :)

jeanweasley

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Trust only in yourself
  • Respect: +73
  • School: SHGC
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2014, 09:01:44 pm »
Hi, Joseph could you please tell what PSY1022, ATS1339, AND ATS2667. Cheers.
2014: BA @ Monash University
2015: LLB(Hons)/BA @ Monash University

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2014, 07:57:27 am »
+5
Want:
ATS1040 - Religions and the modern world
PHY3012 Integrative neuroscience
PHY3072 Muscle and exercise
PHY3102 Nutrition, metabolism and body weight

Can give:
Poorly drawn pictures
Sloths

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2014, 10:38:30 am »
+3
Hi, Joseph could you please tell what PSY1022, ATS1339, AND ATS2667. Cheers.

Certainly. I have just written a unit review for ATS2667 for you here.

As for PSY1022 and ATS1339, I'm afraid I don't remember them quite as well, for I completed them last year. However:

PSY1022: This is the only unit I have done that I genuinely disliked. The assessment was vague and frustrating, the unit felt poorly organised, and things kept changing at the last minute. Some of the lecturers were okay, but others I found confusing and unapproachable. I didn't much like its structure, either, for lectures and labs from PSY1011 had been replaced with lectorials, which led to less feedback for students. I think Psych is great, and I intended on at least minoring in it before this unit, but it really did put me off. In saying that, keep in mind that this was only the experience of one student (although I have heard numerous others suggesting that Psych in general is rather poorly run), and a student who was fairly disenchanted with life in general at the time. The content is largely covered in Year 12 Psych but does present some new information and ideas. Most of these new ideas I found unappealing, for they related to things such as research methods, but maybe that's just me. In summary, I didn't particularly enjoy the unit, but I really, really don't want to put you or anybody else off, as it was probably more a poor reflection on me and where I was at the time rather than the unit itself. And, from what I understand, you need this unit to finish your first-year sequence and study Psychology further.

ATS1339: To be honest, I remember very little from this unit apart from the fact that I enjoyed it very much. I'm sorry that I can't contribute more, but I would certainly recommend ATS1339. The assignments prepare you well for (at least the two units I have done from) second-year Linguistics. I had Anthony and then Cat as my tutor (Anthony left halfway through the semester, which was planned), both of whom were excellent and very much helped to consolidate knowledge from the lectures.

All the best.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:50:17 am by Joseph41 »

uni_student

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2014, 12:34:27 pm »
Has anyone done:
SCI1020
ATS1298
HSC1081
BIO1022
Thank you! :)

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2014, 12:41:05 pm »
Has anyone done:
SCI1020
ATS1298
HSC1081
BIO1022
Thank you! :)

Here's a review I wrote for BIO1022: Re: Monash University - Subject reviews & ratings
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

mseleanor

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School: Mercy College
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2014, 07:19:11 pm »
Would love to see a reviews on :

ATS1111 - Indonesian Introductory 1  (I know there's a review of general languages which is really helpful, but would love some insight into this specifically. :) )
ATS2624 - Global Governance
ATS2706 - Foreign Policy Analysis

Thanks! :)
2013: VCE
2014: Arts/Law @ Monash University

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2014, 07:41:26 pm »
Has anyone done:
SCI1020

Dont have time for a full review, will do mini one here.

Very easy, it assumes you know zero mathematics. If you love math, you might get bored in this. I took it because im bad at math and i still needed to fulfil the math requirement of the science degree. The subject itself is rather easy but you cant slack off either. There's still heaps and learn to do but if you do it, it is easy. All the labs are done in MS-Excel (more or less), using the statistical functions. A few assignments have components done by hand but they're fairly easy. The exam itself shouldnt be too difficult if you know what you're doing.

IF you're just looking at something to fill the math requirement, this is it. If you want to pick up some more skills/better at math, maybe look elsewhere.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

ChloeCameleon3

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: +7
  • School: Monash
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2014, 09:08:05 pm »
+1
Would love to see a reviews on :

ATS1111 - Indonesian Introductory 1  (I know there's a review of general languages which is really helpful, but would love some insight into this specifically. :) )
ATS2624 - Global Governance
ATS2706 - Foreign Policy Analysis

Thanks! :)

Hi mseleanor! I'm doing Global Governance at the moment, and I'll probably end up writing a full review later after the semester's ended. But I'll write a couple comments now whilst I procrastinate from doing the essay...
So far, it's been a very up and down experience... Anne McNevin is an alright coordinator, but her lectures aren't particularly engaging or thought-provoking. I have her as a tutor too, and classes are generally boring because the topics she chooses to discuss don't interest me or any of my classmates. We have had some guest lecturers, who have been good to mix things up. However, we had Sara Meger for 3 weeks and her lectures were baaaddd. She doesn't seem to know the content well enough, so whenever anyone asked questions she couldn't answer them.
The assignments are also very different, focusing a lot more on applying knowledge and being able to think critically and engage with the topic. For the major essay, we watch a film then write about the aspects of GG in it (that's simplifying it a bit but that's the gist of it). Personally, I'm more of a fan of the standard essays, where there's a list of like 10 essay questions to choose from.
Overall, I haven't found it to be very interesting. But at the same time, it has not been particularly challenging, so that's a benefit!