Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:13:23 pm

Author Topic: VCE English Language Question Thread  (Read 151388 times)  Share 

peter.g15

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +29
Re: English Language Question Thread
« Reply #105 on: January 27, 2018, 11:30:55 pm »
You will find that you will write essays your way in English Language. I suppose if you can find enough to discuss in the article in a quick amount of time, that is entirely possible. I used to go via the subsystems instead though, as that works for both written and spoken texts.

Okay! Thanks :)
2019 - 23: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

exit

• Forum Obsessive
  • COALESCE
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2018, 12:13:13 am »
+3
Okay! Thanks :)

I personally found it easier to have my paragraphs:

1. Function/social purpose
2. Register
3. Discourse features (turn taking/topic management mainly for spoken and coherence/cohesion for written). This works really well in my opinion as you dont have to think about what subsystems to write about. Also, if you pick a subsystem and can’t find enough features to analyse, it’s kind of ugly.
 I found my paragraph structure worked really well for both me and the people who used it. Super broad and customisable yet very specific and detailed.
VCE [ATAR: 99.25]: Physics 1/2, English 1/2, EngLang,Methods, Spesh, Accounting, Chem, German

2018-2021: Bachelor Of Commerce @ University of Melbourne
VCE English Language: A+ Short Answer Guide[pm for extra guidance!]

tinkerbell101

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2018, 12:01:53 pm »
hey what is the difference between semantic field and domain?

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #108 on: February 01, 2018, 02:10:09 pm »
+3
hey what is the difference between semantic field and domain?
These are really really similar if not to a certain extent quite same!
But the major difference is that "semantic field" includes a series of words relating to a certain topic.
Whereas, the domain is just the one-worded topic. So you can say the range of words are a subset of the domain.

The definition of semantic field:
an area of meaning that is identified by a set of related lexical items; e.g. claret, rose, sangiovese, riesling, and so on are part fo the semantic field of wine.

The definition of domain:
a sphere of activity, concern, interest or field; for e.g. home, work, school, the law and government are all domains.

Do you see the parallels?

Hope this helps! :)

2017 : Further Maths [38]
2018 : English [45] ;English Language [43] ; Food Studies [47] ;French [33] ;Legal Studies [39]
VCE ATAR : 98.10
2019 - 2023 : Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Arts at Monash University

I'm selling a huge electronic copy of  VCE English essays and resources document (with essays that have teacher feedback and marks) for $10. Feel free to PM me for details!

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2018, 04:50:12 pm »
+2
/həˈləʊ̯/,

I am trying to make a flowchart/mindmap of all the areas of study and big ideas in English Language to show how they relate to each other. I was wondering if someone could give me some advice for what I should include?

So far I've got:
Social purpose + context + register --> language choice --> addresses many needs (face needs, PC, coherence/cohesion) + language innovation and varieties (neologisms, SAE)
I'm also trying to include all the conversational strategies (floor, turn-taking, minimal responses ...)

Any ideas?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2018, 04:59:10 pm »
+2
/həˈləʊ̯/,

I am trying to make a flowchart/mindmap of all the areas of study and big ideas in English Language to show how they relate to each other. I was wondering if someone could give me some advice for what I should include?

So far I've got:
Social purpose + context + register --> language choice --> addresses many needs (face needs, PC, coherence/cohesion) + language innovation and varieties (neologisms, SAE)
I'm also trying to include all the conversational strategies (floor, turn-taking, minimal responses ...)

Any ideas?

identity, culture, domain, medium, mode etc.  could all also work well :)

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2018, 05:04:55 pm »
identity, culture, domain, medium, mode etc.  could all also work well :)
I've mainly put those things under headings that I previously mentioned. E.g. I put mode under context,   and identity under the list of things (identity, face needs) that language choice can address.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 05:06:35 pm by TheAspiringDoc »

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2018, 05:44:03 pm »
+1
I've mainly put those things under headings that I previously mentioned. E.g. I put mode under context,   and identity under the list of things (identity, face needs) that language choice can address.

Ah, ok. Are you including things like para linguistic features? Do you want to address unintended impacts? Language change?

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #113 on: February 09, 2018, 06:14:38 pm »
Ah, ok. Are you including things like para linguistic features? Do you want to address unintended impacts? Language change?
Yeah I'd basically just like to cover the whole course's main ideas. Specifically, I'd like to show the main inputs into a discourse (the input factors of context, social purpose, register, relationship structure etc that are prior factors), then show the actual elements of the discourse (e.g. Whether active or passive voice is used, politeness conventions, or what types of semantic patterning are used) and then show the flow-on effect to its effects on society and individuals identity etc .

I've drawn it out (vaguely) but I still don't know how to easily upload a photo to AN xD

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2018, 06:17:42 pm »
+1
Yeah I'd basically just like to cover the whole course's main ideas. Specifically, I'd like to show the main inputs into a discourse (the input factors of context, social purpose, register, relationship structure etc that are prior factors), then show the actual elements of the discourse (e.g. Whether active or passive voice is used, politeness conventions, or what types of semantic patterning are used) and then show the flow-on effect to its effects on society and individuals identity etc .

I've drawn it out (vaguely) but I still don't know how to easily upload a photo to AN xD

You can use a photo sharing site, or click reply > attachments and other options > choose file 

I think the easiest way for you to cover everything is to read through the study design and tick or cross off all the metalanguage/key ideas you come across

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #115 on: February 09, 2018, 06:44:44 pm »
+1
Here it is (thanks miniturtle for photo help!)
I'm mainly wanting feedback on what the the big headings (context, conversational strategies etc) should be and how I should organise the poster
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 06:50:53 pm by TheAspiringDoc »

TheAspiringDoc

Re: VCE English Language Question Thread
« Reply #116 on: February 18, 2018, 11:46:49 am »
Hypothetically, if I was to make notes on only 10 concepts in English language, what would be the most important? For example:
-spoken vs written vs e-communication (I know it's no longer considered a straightforward dichotomy, but still)
-formal vs informal spectrum
-features of political speech
-lexical patterning
-connected speech processes
-cohesion/coherence
-etc etc..

What would you say are the most worthwhile ~10 topics?

cookiedream

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #117 on: February 18, 2018, 12:25:50 pm »
+7
Hypothetically, if I was to make notes on only 10 concepts in English language, what would be the most important? For example:
-spoken vs written vs e-communication (I know it's no longer considered a straightforward dichotomy, but still)
-formal vs informal spectrum
-features of political speech
-lexical patterning
-connected speech processes
-cohesion/coherence
-etc etc..

What would you say are the most worthwhile ~10 topics?

Hello!

Hmmm, perhaps the most prevalent concepts I've seen are:
- political correctness/euphemisms/doublespeak
- individual + group identity (connection with ethnolects, Aboriginal English, teenspeak)
- gender identity/generational identity, etc.
- modes of communication + overlaps
- patterning (like literally all the patterning: phonological, morphological, lexical, semantic, syntactic)
- cohesion
- coherence
- formality/informality/mixed register
- SAE/non-SAE
- Australian English/identity

Might have missed some topics though, since that's what I can think of off the top of my head.
VCE: (click the links below to view my guides)
2016: Methods [44], Psych [48]
2017: Bio [50], Eng Lang, Chem, Spec
ATAR: 99.75 | UMAT: 88th
2018-2022: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

! No longer offering tutoring !

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #118 on: February 19, 2018, 10:02:49 pm »
Hello everyone :)

1. Could someone please explain what antithesis and parallelism are? And provide examples so we can understand them better?
Just confused how to spot them and how to explain what syntactic features contribute to antithesis and parallelism.

2. Also, what is included in lexical patterning?
(does it just mean semantic patterning?) and then that'll include metaphor, irony, parody, etc?

Thanks guys! :)

2017 : Further Maths [38]
2018 : English [45] ;English Language [43] ; Food Studies [47] ;French [33] ;Legal Studies [39]
VCE ATAR : 98.10
2019 - 2023 : Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Arts at Monash University

I'm selling a huge electronic copy of  VCE English essays and resources document (with essays that have teacher feedback and marks) for $10. Feel free to PM me for details!

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #119 on: February 19, 2018, 10:16:12 pm »
+2
^^
Spoiler
Hey,

So syntactic patterning is basically deliberately ordering a sentence in a certain sequence so for a given purpose (e.g. For coherent/cohesive syntax or to memorably highlight the most important elements of the sentence).

The three types as per the study design are:
Antithesis: using syntactical structure to show contrasts (write quickly and you will never write well, but write well and you will soon write quickly)
Listing: can use dot points or commas (I study methods, spec, Lang, and chem)
Parallelism: repeating similar clauses or phrases to emphasise a theme (see Churchill's speech, we shall fight on the beaches)
Just to add on:

Lexical patterning is essentially the repetition of lexemes throughout a text, with simple lexical patterning being the repetition of the same word, whilst complex lexical patterning is the repetition of the same word with different derivational/inflectional morphemes attached. As already mentioned, this may be used to emphasise a certain point (the interlocutor’s social purpose may be linked here), as well as to bolster the cohesive nature of the text (by creating semantic links between sentences). Just note that this differs to morphological patterning - examples include ‘mishy mashy’ and ‘He studies philosophy, geography, and sociology'.

With lexical choice (i.e. word choice), this can be important, say, if the writer/reader wants to increase the entertainment value of his/her piece, or add a sense of flair to the text - this is commonly done with hyperbole. There are plenty of other implications of lexical choice; you will mainly discuss these in the AC. And with syntactic patterning, you will almost certainly refer to the three in your AC since they are usually easy to find and good to talk about with reference to the social purpose of a text.
I don't think lexical patterning = semantic patterning
What is a stylistic feature?