Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:11:40 am

Author Topic: Need some help with Modern History essay on urbanisation/modernisation in Japan  (Read 968 times)  Share 

kaitlyn.L.S

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Hey,

Just needing some help to structure an essay or the following question 'Evaluate the view that the changes in society, as shown through both modernisation and urbanisation, let to increased social tensions'
I was thinking I could talk about the increase in population and also expansionism into Manchuria, but not sure what else to mention.
If anyone could give some feedback it would be awesome...thanks everyone  :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 05:32:20 am by kaitlyn.L.S »

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Hey,

Just needing some help to structure an essay or the following question 'Evaluate the view that the changes in society, as shown through both modernisation and urbanisation, let to increased social tensions'
I was thinking I could talk about the increase in population and also expansionism into Manchuria, but not sure what else to mention.
If anyone could give some feedback it would be awesome...thanks everyone  :)
Hey there,

Welcome to the forums!

I didn't study the Meiji Restoration/modernisation of Japan, but from what I've read about it, I think you could definitely talk about the Western influence on Japan in regards to colonialism and military strength (e.g. Sino-Japanese War, Russo-Japanese War but make sure that these events fit under the designated years, i.e. if you're only allowed to talk about events in the 19th century then perhaps don't talk about the Russo-Japanese War). I'd also recommend taking a look at the slogan "Fukoku kyohei" ("Rich Country, Strong Army") and how that impacted militarism during the Meiji Restoration.

You could also talk about the clash of political ideologies, abolishment of the Tokugawa shogunate and the creation of a cabinet-system government. Perhaps you could do a bit more research on this but have a look at how this impacted the shogun. (I think the Satsuma Rebellion could fit here).

Another point you could talk about is the tension between Confucianist/Shintoist ideologies and Christianity. Did they resist? How did the state react to Japanese Christians? Were there persecutions?

You could also talk about the urbanisation/industrialisation of Japan and the disabling of the feudal system. How did tax reforms impact peasants? Maybe you could take a look at this journal article to get a few ideas.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

kaitlyn.L.S

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
That is really helpful, thanks heaps!!! :D