Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 12:42:14 am

Author Topic: IMMEDIATE ADVICE  (Read 1229 times)

Bubblesxgrapes-_+

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
IMMEDIATE ADVICE
« on: November 16, 2020, 12:09:12 am »
Okay probably wrong area but I’m stressing.
I need advice in the next roughly 10 hours (Ik it’s late). At 11am I have a meeting with my careers teacher deciding my VCE subjects (I’m skipping year 10). I’m going for English, methods, chemistry, physics, applied computing and biology 3/4 (I haven’t done 1/2). I may not be able to do bio 3/4 though. I really want 6 subjects to my ATAR. Alternative would be doing 6 subjects in year 12, which would probably be hell with my subject selection. Another idea I had was doing the bio 3/4 and hoping to do a bio University enhancement program in year 12 and dropping technologies. Please help me!!
I want to get into Melbourne bachelor of science, if I don’t get high enough I’ll go to another uni a year and try and transfer. I’ve thought about this a lot. Sometimes I think I’m doing a dumb thing, others I’m excited. I feel unprepared  and this will help me sleep tonight. Hoping for advice in the morning!

(I’m choosing these subjects because I enjoy this stuff, I’m passionate and want to go into research. Applied computing is just cause it didn’t seem horrible and my Morrisby results suggested it).
-_+

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
Re: IMMEDIATE ADVICE
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 12:57:31 am »
+9
Don't know what advice you're looking for - all I can say is, 6 subjects in year 12 is definitely too much. But also, if all you're aiming for is science at unimelb (an ATAR requirement of usually just 86), then a 6th subject at most will only add up to 1 ATAR point - it's not necessarily going to add as much as you think it will, and it's not the end of the world if you don't get it. At the same time, why be in such a rush to graduate? Take it from experience - uni can be a socially much harder place to deal with if you're running around below the age of 18. Even if you're not interested in drinking, there are many times people will want to meet up at a bar, there's many camps you  might be interested in going to but they won't let you because you're underage, etc. Socially, uni is a better experience when you're of age, regardless on your opinion of alcohol and whether or not you plan on having any.

On top of that, if you're doing this because everything's too boring, you could instead negotiate a half-half situation. Do half of your subjects as 1/2 next year, then when you're in year 11, do half 1/2 and half 3/4, and then in year 12, just study 3 subjects. You still get most of the acceleration done, and you finish high school so that you're 18 when going to uni. Plus, this way you get 6 subjects - hell, you can even jump on 7 if you really want.