Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:10:25 am

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 207547 times)  Share 

emmajb37

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Standard Question Thread
« Reply #660 on: November 21, 2018, 08:19:11 pm »
Hey, I was just wondering because of the new syllabus, what has changed regarding related texts? My sister said that she needed about 3 related texts for her HSC exam in 2016 and now people are saying we do not need a related text at all for the HSC exam. Is this true? My teacher never gives me a straight answer to anything so really struggling with English right now, please help!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #661 on: November 21, 2018, 09:02:17 pm »
+4
Hey, I was just wondering because of the new syllabus, what has changed regarding related texts? My sister said that she needed about 3 related texts for her HSC exam in 2016 and now people are saying we do not need a related text at all for the HSC exam. Is this true? My teacher never gives me a straight answer to anything so really struggling with English right now, please help!

Hey, emmajb37!

Welcome to the forums  ;D I'm currently looking at the new English syllabus for both Standard and Advanced to see what I can do with helping our new 2019er's out.

From what I have observed, the only real change in regards to related texts is whether or not they will actually be asked in the HSC exam itself. The specimen paper provided by NESA seems to have examples requiring only the prescribed text to be used which might be why people may be assuming that you may not need a related text at all. However, in the rubric for 'Texts and Human Experiences', it says this;

"Students study one prescribed text and a range of short texts that provide rich opportunities to further explore representations of human experiences...make increasingly informed judgements about how aspects of these texts...In addition, students select one related text and draw from personal experience to make connections between themselves, the world of the text and their wider world."

This basically should answer your question; it may not be asked at all, but it is still wise to study one in the event that they do. I know some schools' Year 12's for 2019 have assessments for the common module using a related text in isolation or in tandem with the prescribed which might be done so in preparation for this possibility. It definitely is better to be safe than sorry  ;D I wouldn't recommend having three like your sister did if the likelihood of it being tested is quite slim, according to the specimen paper examples at least, but having one will be enough to guarantee that you'll be ready for any curveballs in the exam  :) I hope that helps  ;D If you need related text recommendations, you can chuck your prescribed below and I'll see if I can think of any off the top of my head.

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

emmajb37

• Adventurer
« Reply #662 on: November 22, 2018, 06:32:39 am »
My prescribed text is Billy Elliot. Any related text suggestions? I have started reading Of Mice and Men but I am not really enjoying it so far.

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #663 on: November 22, 2018, 08:31:25 am »
+3
My prescribed text is Billy Elliot. Any related text suggestions? I have started reading Of Mice and Men but I am not really enjoying it so far.

Hi!

I studied Billy Elliot and used The Perks of Being a Wallflower (book). I don’t know how well that would work with the new syllabus though.

Hope this helps!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #664 on: November 22, 2018, 11:24:44 pm »
+1

I think that ‘The Perks of Being a Wallflower’ as a suggestion is a good one! I haven’t studied your prescribed but fantasticbeasts3 has seen it work as a pairing. I was going to suggest ‘August Rush’ which has similar themes but I realised that two films wouldn’t be a good demonstration of your ability to compare texts  :'( You could look into Charles Dicken’s ‘Oliver Twist’ as another possibility  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

charlottemchenry

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #665 on: November 22, 2018, 11:44:55 pm »
+1

I did 'I am Thomas' with Billy Elliot for exploring transitions, not sure if it works for new syllabus but is great if you have limited time to analyse
HSC 2018 - Standard English [88] || Mathematics [89] || Biology [89] || Chemistry [83] || Legal Studies [92] || Studies of Religion 1 [45]

Atar:

UTS 2019 - Bachelor of Advanced Science (Infection and Immunity) and Bachelor of Creative Intelligence and Innovation

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #666 on: November 22, 2018, 11:54:05 pm »
+2

Hello! I did Lana Wachowski's HRC Visibility Award Acceptance Speech as my ORT for Billy Elliot. My analysis is right here. Not sure if it does work with the new syllabus but it won't hurt to give the speech a quick read ;D
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

martinstran

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #667 on: November 24, 2018, 07:14:02 pm »
My school's prescribed text for the Common Module is Waste Land (the documentary). I was thinking of using the book "The Help" to explore the idea of expression of adversity through art forms, but the text is quite lengthy and I won't be able to get through the whole thing and analyse it in time for my first assessment. Any suggestions on a short related text that isn't a film?
HSC 2019
ENG (Std) 89 | MX1 98 | MX2 99| ECO 89 | S+C 94 | SOR 1 44 | ATAR: 99

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #668 on: November 26, 2018, 09:30:51 am »
+3
My school's prescribed text for the Common Module is Waste Land (the documentary). I was thinking of using the book "The Help" to explore the idea of expression of adversity through art forms, but the text is quite lengthy and I won't be able to get through the whole thing and analyse it in time for my first assessment. Any suggestions on a short related text that isn't a film?

Hi...
Welcome to the forums!  :)

Poems are always a good choice for related texts, as they are short, and generally easy to analyse. They would definitely work well at displaying a variety of human experiences, as part of the module requirements, and have their own artistic features.

I would have suggested Robert Gray, but it was already in the prescribed. Here's some Poets I would recommend:
- Carol Ann Duffy: (themes: religion, adaptations of ancient mythology) E.g. Medusa, Prayer
- Margaret Atwood: (theme: adaptations of ancient mythology, satirising society) E.g. Siren Song, A Sad Child

Short stories are also quite easy to use as a related text. But seriously, you can literally find a short story about any topic you would like, so that it will work with the module and your prescribed text really well.
- E.g. Edgar Allen Poe's "The Tell-tale Heart" and "The Raven" have been a popular choice in the past for related texts.
- Franz Kafka: A Hunger Artist.

There is also an extensive list of suggested related texts for the old syllabus, found here, many of which could still for work well for human experiences.

Hope this provides a bit of guidance, and Happy Text Hunting!  :)
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #669 on: November 26, 2018, 10:36:18 am »
+4
Hi...
Welcome to the forums!  :)

Poems are always a good choice for related texts, as they are short, and generally easy to analyse. They would definitely work well at displaying a variety of human experiences, as part of the module requirements, and have their own artistic features.

I would have suggested Robert Gray, but it was already in the prescribed. Here's some Poets I would recommend:
- Carol Ann Duffy: (themes: religion, adaptations of ancient mythology) E.g. Medusa, Prayer
- Margaret Atwood: (theme: adaptations of ancient mythology, satirising society) E.g. Siren Song, A Sad Child

Short stories are also quite easy to use as a related text. But seriously, you can literally find a short story about any topic you would like, so that it will work with the module and your prescribed text really well.
- E.g. Edgar Allen Poe's "The Tell-tale Heart" and "The Raven" have been a popular choice in the past for related texts.
- Franz Kafka: A Hunger Artist.

There is also an extensive list of suggested related texts for the old syllabus, found here, many of which could still for work well for human experiences.

Hope this provides a bit of guidance, and Happy Text Hunting!  :)

Just adding to kauac’s brilliant suggestions with two less conventional texts that share similar themes to your prescribed  ;D

Prince Ea’s Dear Future Generations: Sorry (Spoken Word Poetry, Multimedia)- Looks at climate change and human inactivity in aiming to combat it. This is a short, powerful spoken word poem and is accompanied with fantastic visuals that you can analyse. Spoken word is a great form to utilise and one on a similar topic to your prescribed can help you make effective links.
https://youtu.be/eRLJscAlk1M

Francesca Perry’s 'You can taste it in the air': your stories of life in polluted cities (Feature Article)- A collection of globally conducted interviews on air pollution. I read ‘The Guardian’ a lot and remember this article being really interesting. They have multiple interview responses and accounts from people living all around the world which can give you both individual and collective perspectives to discuss in your Human Experiences Module.
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/feb/16/taste-air-pollution-smog-your-stories-life-polluted-cities

Both of these explore how human crises and pollution, more specifically, inspire literary and artistic content. In being inspired by it, composers aim to provoke change in their audiences and sustain the importance of advocacy, proactivity and innovation in the human experience  ;D Hope these help!  :)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 10:41:01 am by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

remytidy

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #670 on: November 28, 2018, 06:16:46 pm »
Hi I need help finding a related text for an upcoming essay on the human experience. We have to use 2 prescribed poems by Kenneth Slessor and a related text of our choice? Thanks

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #671 on: December 01, 2018, 12:07:18 am »
+4
Hi I need help finding a related text for an upcoming essay on the human experience. We have to use 2 prescribed poems by Kenneth Slessor and a related text of our choice? Thanks

Hey, remytidy!

It would be great if you could provide some more information on what you intend to target on specifically in terms of the human experience and which poems you want to use. I just had a read through the poems (I didn't study them for my HSC so take my advice with a grain of salt) and thought of some potential related text ideas you could explore based on themes.

Related Text Suggestions
- John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men (Novella)
- Shaun Tan's No Other Country (Short Story)
- Dorota Kobiela and Hugh Welchman's Loving Vincent (Film)
- Hieronymus Bosch's The Garden of Earthly Delights (Artwork)
- Antoine de Saint Exupery's Wind, Sand and Stars (Memoir)

I also found an excellent resource for the common module here which you can access  ;D https://dc.edu.au/dux-kenneth-slessor/

Hope this helps! Let me know what related text you end up choosing!  8)

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

GeorgiaManning

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #672 on: January 15, 2019, 11:34:44 pm »
+4
Hi I need help finding a related text for an upcoming essay on the human experience. We have to use 2 prescribed poems by Kenneth Slessor and an related text of our choice? Thanks

Of Mice and Men (novella) is a perfect short story. We studied it in class, and I would've used it as my related text however my school doesn't allow it because we analysed it in class. Its got similar themes to Billy Elliot (stereotypes, dreams etc). It's kind of hard to get used to the different language used by Lennie (intellectually disabled) but once you start its ok and a good read, plus there are tones of online resources for it.

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
  • When you realise Kpop exists... the world is good.
  • Respect: -4
« Reply #673 on: January 24, 2019, 10:02:44 pm »
This a response for the following question... lecturers feel free to mark it number wise any wise really and provide feedback on parts which were good and parts where i went wrong.

Q. Through the telling and recieving of stories, we become more aware of ourselves and our shared human experiences. Explore this statement with close reference to your prescribed text. ( Plan this for 20 min and write in 40 mins - although i didn't do this according to its time, i did both under 60 min);

PLAN:

- thesis: Stories enrich our human experience in seeing the world differently

- eg.1 : eye - level close up of boots and billy's face
- Billy's approach, how willing he is to break gender stereotypes for his newly made passion

- eg.2: (music): london calling
- shares the perspective of 'crime' thru Tony

- eg.3: strength ( Billy) ( low - key lighting + dialogue):
- audience empathise with Billy and see Mrs Wilkiinson outside of her orthodox image from before in the film + depths of being able to maintain past relationships from long ago

- conclusion: Human experience shown through storytelling allow audiences/responders/ourselves to improve our lives by noticing the faults/ faults experienced by others. We establish better human experiences amongst ourselves by learning the losses and struggles featured in the stories.

EXTENDED RESPONSE:

Stories are fictional or factual accounts of individuals and events. Most fictional stories that relate to the human experience have elements of factual ideas. Stories usually account someone's past events in life. In relation to human experience, the human experinence is a shared experience we are all privileged to live through and for. It is the ultimate source and justification for all knowledge, specifically when one learns the bear truths of life and their reactions to it. Stories such as 'Billy Elliot', (2000) enrich our human experience into seeing the world differently. Stories give us insight into how past human experiences have helped us attain justification for knowledge in the present.

A brief scene which displays so is when an eye - level close up of boots and Billy's face are shown in 'Billy Elliot', (2000). An eye- level close up of Billy’s boots whilist taking off,  transitions into focusing upon the ballet slippers at his feet. The camera then tilts towards billys’ face to display his facial expression. The film scene describes how  Billy is joining a female stereotyped sport of ballet rather than continuing on with his boxing journey ( boxing is seen as a sport associated only to males in the movie). It shows how Billy thinks differently from the other guys of his age group and how he is the anomaly by choosing ballet over boxing. This allows responders to suggest how Billys’ approach to passion in sport goes towards the sport the least likely expected by a child of his gender and age. He may even be compared to the situation to that of boys in the present of which some indeed do practise ballet.

Another film technique which describes the link into stories to human experiences is found in the music of 'London Calling', by the clash. 'London Calling', is played during the riot Tony had organised. The song starts off with a scene depicting a crowd of people flooding the streets. It then transitions to  Tony opening a house door ( high - angle shot) revealing a small child. This image highlights the life of violence associated with growing up in this society and the impact that it has on the innocent. As the loud and energetic song continues, images of the police punching an old man in the face are interspersed with images of Tony running through houses and Billy looking for his brother. An extreme long - shot from behind a large group of lined- up riot police illustrates their power and number. We are provoked to see the world differently through the journey of an individual who has commited crime (Tony). We are provoked by Daldry  to not always look from the bystander side or even the victims’ side but to also see through the perspective of someone who is trying to escape from their own created troubles such as Tony in this scene. The featuring of a small baby also conveys how Daldry has used purposeful decisions by embedding the baby to outline how Tony has left the world of innocence and has progressed into the dark world of crime and guilt. This is also effectively shown by the large scale of police visible in the scene.

To recognise the awareness of ourselves, we also need to focus on the human quality of strength shown in the low - key lighting scene and dialogue in 'Billy Elliot'. The low - key lighting throws shadows around the gym, suggesting some secrecy or the unknown. In this setting Billy opens up about his mother for the first time. He shows Mrs Wilkinson a letter from his mother and she comments ‘She must have been a very special woman’, to which he matter- -of - factly replies ‘No, she was just me Mum’. This scene also illustrates Billy's innocence and vulnerability. This allows us to know more about Billy’s context with his Mum when she was alive as if it was a purposeful decision of the director’s to further highlight the tight bond Billy had to his Mother. It allows us to empathise with Billy and see his life differently as well as his bond with Mrs. Wilkinson differently after seeing her empathise with Billy too. The low - key lighting emphasises how individuals have to go into ‘the unknown’ to go back to their memories with the loved ones they have lost from before.

Therefore, human experiences through storytelling allows audiences like us to justify their knowledge of what it means to be human and the perspectives of others in knowing how and what the human experience should be defined as.

thanks!
, Komal:)

-KgkG-

ss67

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #674 on: March 06, 2019, 04:14:00 pm »
Hey guys, I studied Pygmalion this term so I have to write an essay tomorrow as part of my assessment and we just got the question today "Analyse how language can reveal significant ideas about culture". Can someone tell me specific concepts i can use?