Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:25:18 am

Author Topic: Help! Dropping from 13 units to 11?  (Read 1102 times)

sunbunbri

• Adventurer
  • 好好学习,天天向上!Study hard & you will improve!
  • Respect: +10
Help! Dropping from 13 units to 11?
« on: March 29, 2019, 03:00:21 am »
Hey friends,
I have been doing mental gymnastics trying to come up with an answer to my issue and I thought getting the forum’s advice would be helpful.
I am in year 12 and currently take 13 units: 4u English, 3u Chinese, society, modern and ancient.
I love all my subjects, but my school has chosen to make 1/2 of our ancient course Ancient Egypt (both the time period study and personality study). And am really not enjoying it, it doesn’t interest me and it’s getting to the point where I loathe going to ancient.
I am currently considering dropping ancient and pursuing 11 units in the HSC, what do you guys think? Is this a good idea?
Should I drop something/a class just because I hate it? My prelim average for ancient was 92% and my current average is 92.5%. Would I be a stupid idea to drop this class that I have such a high average in?
Also, no I don’t need ancient for uni and am not particularly worried about my atar because I only need a 75. I’m also fairly confident that my prelim results will allow me a spot in early entry!
Help me!  :'(
HSC 2019: Adv Eng (89), Ext Eng 1 (46), Ext Eng 2 (44), Modern History (86) Society & Culture (95), Chinese Continuers (89) & Chinese Ext (43).

ATAR:   94.30

2020: Bachelor of Education (secondary) & Bachelor of Arts - English & History @ USYD

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: Help! Dropping from 13 units to 11?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 10:13:54 am »
+4
Hi!

I think having 11 units will be fine because you still have that one unit for backup. Personally I don’t think it’s worth putting yourself through something you don’t like while you still have that extra unit. :-)

I hope this helps!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 10:29:51 am »
+5
Totally agree with Holly! Why put yourself through something you so strongly dislike! ;D

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 10:36:33 am »
+4
Hey, sunburi!

If you're enjoying your other units and there's one class that's clearly causing you some grief, I do think you should drop it. Since I did three of your subjects, I can tell you now that balancing Ext 2 English, SAC and Modern will be a challenge. This will become even more apparent during periods when you have to submit drafts for your Major Works, as well as prepare for exams. Dropping Ancient will give you more time to work on those subjects, as well as a language which I can imagine would be quite demanding content-wise too. More importantly, if the content doesn't excite you, I don't think good marks will be enough to motivate you down the track.

Good to see that you're thinking about your uni prospects already though  :) I'm sure that you'll find success whether you keep Ancient or not but I agree with what fantasticbeasts3 and jamonwindeyer have suggested  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

sunbunbri

• Adventurer
  • 好好学习,天天向上!Study hard & you will improve!
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 02:46:23 pm »
+2
Hi!

I think having 11 units will be fine because you still have that one unit for backup. Personally I don’t think it’s worth putting yourself through something you don’t like while you still have that extra unit. :-)

I hope this helps!

Hey Fantasticbeasts3,
Thanks so much for a prompt reply to my call for help lol  ;D
At first 11 units scared me, but so many have been telling me that I still have that 1u safety net if I screw up a portion of an exam. Thanks for reassuring me and ridding me of this concern

Totally agree with Holly! Why put yourself through something you so strongly dislike! ;D

Hey Jamon, you’re always coming in crutch for me and my advice posts lol!
I have the forms to drop ancient and have talked to my teacher and head teacher about it, I am fairly certain I will but will solidify my feelings over the weekend!
Also, look forward to seeing you around at the upcoming term 1 lectures! <3

Hey, sunburi!

If you're enjoying your other units and there's one class that's clearly causing you some grief, I do think you should drop it. Since I did three of your subjects, I can tell you now that balancing Ext 2 English, SAC and Modern will be a challenge. This will become even more apparent during periods when you have to submit drafts for your Major Works, as well as prepare for exams. Dropping Ancient will give you more time to work on those subjects, as well as a language which I can imagine would be quite demanding content-wise too. More importantly, if the content doesn't excite you, I don't think good marks will be enough to motivate you down the track.

Good to see that you're thinking about your uni prospects already though  :) I'm sure that you'll find success whether you keep Ancient or not but I agree with what fantasticbeasts3 and jamonwindeyer have suggested  ;D

Thank you so much for your long and detailed reply! I have decided 99% to drop ancient, I have talked to me teachers and the head teacher as well as my mum and they all say it’s in my best interest if I’m really not enjoying it. I will hand in my forms come Monday!

I am loving ext 2 English, sac and modern at the moment and my love for them give me a great deal of passion and motivation to do well and study... however I do not have this passion for ancient and I feel that even though my current marks are great, leading up to the hsc I will lose my ability to force myself to study for it, and my marks will eventually fall.

So awesome to find another like me who is very English/humanities based ;D it’s a lot of content and work but so rewarding!
HSC 2019: Adv Eng (89), Ext Eng 1 (46), Ext Eng 2 (44), Modern History (86) Society & Culture (95), Chinese Continuers (89) & Chinese Ext (43).

ATAR:   94.30

2020: Bachelor of Education (secondary) & Bachelor of Arts - English & History @ USYD

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 05:32:09 pm »
+1

So awesome to find another like me who is very English/humanities based ;D it’s a lot of content and work but so rewarding!

I always love finding people who share subjects in common with me  :) Great conversations to be had! The immense work and effort you put into these subjects really empower you. I agree wholeheartedly about them being so rewarding! Hope you’re coming to the lectures for this series  ;D Lots of exciting things ahead!
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music