Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:40:55 am

Author Topic: Engineering Q+A!  (Read 20349 times)  Share 

Happy Physics Land

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • Forum Obsessive
  • MAXIMISE your marks by MINIMISING your errors
  • Respect: +38
Re: Engineering Q+A!
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2017, 08:39:02 pm »
+2
Thank you very much for your responses, really good to know. Since you recommended for me to undertake a bridging course, would you recommend an online one?

Hey there!

No worries! Anytime! Thats what we are here for - to give you the best advices! So personally I wouldn't recommend an online one - depends on personal choice really. I just think the traditional classroom way is in general better suited for learning and if you take your own university's bridging course it will be better suited to the courses that you will be undertaking in your first year. Really up to you, but I would definitely recommend an actual one offered by usyd.
Mathematics: 96
Maths Extension 2: 93
Maths Extension 1: 97
English Advanced: 92
Physics: 95
Chemistry: 92
Engineering Studies: 90
Studies of Religion I: 98

2017 ATAR: 99.70
University of Sydney Civil Engineering and Commerce
University of Sydney Faculty of Civil Engineering Scholar
Student Representatives Council Student Housing Officer
City of Sydney Council Sydney Ambassador
University of Sydney Business School Student Mentor
Entrepreneur, Company of Year Junior Achievements Australia

Happy Physics Land

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2017, 08:47:22 pm »
+1
I only did Advanced Mathematics in Year 12 but the assumed knowledge in almost every engineering course is maths extension 1. How do I get through an engineering course with only having learned advanced maths?

Can you recommend any materials I could read or look up in advance to be prepared for any engineering course in general?

Mod edit: merged posts. (keltingmeith)

Hey There!

I would still recommend taking a bridging course, because despite you've known and learnt the extension knowledge on your own, chances are you still don't have a good manipulation of these mathematical techniques - after all you only get good at them after doing numerous past papers to prepare for hsc. Some materials you can have a look at definitely are the Cambridge mathematics extension I textbook and maths in focus extension 1 textbook.

Happy Physics Land

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2017, 08:51:43 pm »
+1
Hi! I'm looking at doing engineering at ANU. They don't offer the typical majors of Civil, Structural or Electrical but rather "mechanical and material systems, electronic and communication systems and biomedical systems" as examples.
Do you think there is a disadvantage for not doing a "normal" engineering course?
Cheers

Hey There!

It really depends on the kind of career direction you would want to head towards. if you are interested in biomedical engineering (just as an example), an ANU engineering degree in biomedical systems wouldn't be too different from biomedical engineering degree anywhere else. Something that is of more crucial importance is the transportation, the professors they have at ANU and the connections that you can make. The benefit of going to Canberra though - is that the headquarters for engineers Australia is there :) .

Happy Physics Land

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2017, 08:55:44 pm »
+1
I really want to do mechatronic engineering but I've heard that it has a lot of coding and I'm not sure how good at that I'd be. I've never tried coding before and don't know whether that would affect my performance at a mechatronic engineering degree. What's coding like? Is it hard? How do I know that I won't hate it before I enroll in a degree that has a lot of it?

Also, I've asked this before on AN but I'd like to know whether anyone has any info on space engineering at Usyd? It's taken as a major and I find it incredibly interesting. I've read over the course outline and units of study, but want to know more about the course before I take any further steps. Does anyone have any advice on this?

TIA

Hey there!

The mechatronics/aerospace major engineering degree in usyd (the 99 star one) is perhaps the most difficult engineering degree just in terms of science and mathematics (to be honest, they are beyond me). Mechatronics in itself is a tough engineering degree to do, one of the hardest since you have to know about maths, physics, electricity and coding. Aerospace is even more difficult because you are no longer just dealing with things taking place on earth, but cosmic mechanics. So yes you definitely need to consider whether challenging mathematics and physics is something that interests you - don't just do a degree because of the high star you did - choose what is the best for you and choose what you love!

haony98

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2017, 09:50:18 pm »
Hi!
I would really appreciate it if the three of you answer some of my questions and give me different perspectives 😊

Some info and context:

I finished my hsc this year and I want to do aerospace engineering in the future. I’m really interested in this kind of field and I would love to do a major in physics as well as I really love all space related stuff and even went to space camp in USA when I was in year 11 so I’m really passionate about it.
Now the really dilemma (well they are few lol) I only did general maths and haven’t done physics in highschool. I only came here to Australia 2 years ago and I didn’t know the whole system here and I did not know the difference in maths levels here, on the other side, I did a lot of physics when I was in my country so I don’t feel very disadvantaged not doing it.

(1)   How would you recommend doing engineering with no 2 unit knowledge whatsoever? Would I be able to survive if I go over calculus this holidays before uni start? Do unis help ppl in this kind of condition or should I really re-consider engineering as a whole?

I got an srs offer from WSU to do Engineering majoring in robotics and mechatronics. I already accepted the offer and I was planning to enroll and do well in first year there and transfer to unsw. I know that unsw is renowned for eng and computer science and they are really active in those fields. However, I found out from wsu that im not eligible for hecs help or fee help because im a permeant resident and still have 2 years to go to be eligible for hecs or fee help. So basically, if I want to do first yeat at wsu and then transfer to unsw. I would pay upfront fee ($9000 yearly) and apply to unsw and even if I got accepted, I would re-do first year because there is no credit transfer between wsu and unsw (correct me if im wrong).
So I have two options, either stay at wsu and do the full degree, or waste ($9000) in the first year and hopefully get into unsw and re-do first year eng in unsw (well if I got into unsw, I would do double eng/science so I can major in aero and physics)
The other day, I found out that there is a third option, so unsw has this program which is called UPP basically it is a uni prep program for people aged from (17-19) and you have to write a personal statement stating why you want to do it. It offers an engineering stream where they teach maths, physics and eng units. The program is 18 months and could be 1 year for people who show good results and after that you can transfer to unsw first year eng. The good thing about the program is it guarantees you a spot in eng first year (if you pass your units), the units you take in the prep year is credit transferable and most importantly (in my case) is it is fully funded from the gov for the whole year. so, I would only pay the student service fee ($250)

(2)   –  In the end I only have 3 options, either stay at wsu and do robotics for 4 years and pay upfront fees every year.
-    do first year in wsu and waste ($9000) and transfer to unsw to re-do first year to do aero/physics
-   Do Unsw prep program, pass everything, use the time to work and save up some money and transfer to first year eng.
-   Any other ideas or options would be really appreciated 😊

Thank you for taking the time to read all of this :D

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2017, 10:09:28 pm »
+2
Hi!
I would really appreciate it if the three of you answer some of my questions and give me different perspectives 😊

Some info and context:

I finished my hsc this year and I want to do aerospace engineering in the future. I’m really interested in this kind of field and I would love to do a major in physics as well as I really love all space related stuff and even went to space camp in USA when I was in year 11 so I’m really passionate about it.
Now the really dilemma (well they are few lol) I only did general maths and haven’t done physics in highschool. I only came here to Australia 2 years ago and I didn’t know the whole system here and I did not know the difference in maths levels here, on the other side, I did a lot of physics when I was in my country so I don’t feel very disadvantaged not doing it.

(1)   How would you recommend doing engineering with no 2 unit knowledge whatsoever? Would I be able to survive if I go over calculus this holidays before uni start? Do unis help ppl in this kind of condition or should I really re-consider engineering as a whole?

So, doing engineering on just 2U mathematics is (dangerous but) possible. On the other hand, the hard truth is that without 2U, there's gonna be a LOT of problems, since they will always assume you have the bare minimum knowledge with calculus.

Being quick to give up on it is probably a shame given your strong interest factor, so before you rush to that decision you should consider how capable you are at self learning. Of course, some 2U concepts such as Euclidean geometry proofs might not be of use, but you will need ALL of the calculus sections as well as some solid understand understanding of many of the standard curves (e.g. hyperbola, parabola, simple cubics). They probably don't directly contribute, but they're concepts you're assumed to know and when university lecturers talk about it, they can call it 'trivial'.

Although not doing physics here isn't a huge detriment seeing as though HSC physics isn't too useful to engineering here either. Having done physics overseas is quite sufficient.

So basically, it is possible to survive, but you need to put in an EXTENSIVE amount of work if you want to. If you're as interested as you say you are, then this may very well succeed; in fact you should consider doing a bit of 3U on top of 2U to aid this. It's going to be very difficult nonetheless, because it will most likely take up the entire summer break. (It's one thing to understand it, but it's another to know how to apply all of it.)

(Bridging courses are also a viability but keep in mind the cost factor in that stuff.)

I got an srs offer from WSU to do Engineering majoring in robotics and mechatronics. I already accepted the offer and I was planning to enroll and do well in first year there and transfer to unsw. I know that unsw is renowned for eng and computer science and they are really active in those fields. However, I found out from wsu that im not eligible for hecs help or fee help because im a permeant resident and still have 2 years to go to be eligible for hecs or fee help. So basically, if I want to do first yeat at wsu and then transfer to unsw. I would pay upfront fee ($9000 yearly) and apply to unsw and even if I got accepted, I would re-do first year because there is no credit transfer between wsu and unsw (correct me if im wrong).
So I have two options, either stay at wsu and do the full degree, or waste ($9000) in the first year and hopefully get into unsw and re-do first year eng in unsw (well if I got into unsw, I would do double eng/science so I can major in aero and physics)
The other day, I found out that there is a third option, so unsw has this program which is called UPP basically it is a uni prep program for people aged from (17-19) and you have to write a personal statement stating why you want to do it. It offers an engineering stream where they teach maths, physics and eng units. The program is 18 months and could be 1 year for people who show good results and after that you can transfer to unsw first year eng. The good thing about the program is it guarantees you a spot in eng first year (if you pass your units), the units you take in the prep year is credit transferable and most importantly (in my case) is it is fully funded from the gov for the whole year. so, I would only pay the student service fee ($250)

(2)   –  In the end I only have 3 options, either stay at wsu and do robotics for 4 years and pay upfront fees every year.
-    do first year in wsu and waste ($9000) and transfer to unsw to re-do first year to do aero/physics
-   Do Unsw prep program, pass everything, use the time to work and save up some money and transfer to first year eng.

Thank you for taking the time to read all of this :D
UNSW is, of course, brilliant. Because we're UNSW.

Now this question is very personal. It's possible for us to give us our opinions but we can never really rub off our opinions on you for this stuff, because your own financial status is on the line.

There's nothing really wrong with WSU. Just because UNSW is fabulous doesn't mean WSU sucks in any way; you can still do a degree there and go far with it. Wasting $9K-$10K as a result of zero credit transfer is too brutal in my opinion to be worthwhile.

I'm actually aware of the prep program; have had friends do it before. Although I'm not particularly sure what you learn during it though. Basically, the prep program is good if you're more like me and really have your mind set on UNSW. It's not too hard to get into and so long as you put in enough effort into it, like you said it'll guarantee you a spot the year after.

So in my opinion, it's really just about how much you want to go to UNSW here. If you're not overly concerned about it and wouldn't mind playing it safe, there's nothing wrong with going to WSU. But if you want to pick UNSW that badly, then the prep program might be a better choice.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2017, 10:29:09 pm »
+2
Since you wanted different perspectives!

A challenge no doubt, but definitely doable. There are bridging courses available, but alternatively find yourself a Maths tutor who knows the relevant bits to pluck out of the 2 Unit (and perhaps even 3/4 Unit) courses, and have them teach it to you. You could learn it over a few weeks in January if you were determined, using a combo of online material and some one-on-one time with a tutor! Then just be prepped to put in a little more work than everyone else might have to when you are doing your first year maths units ;D

The UPP does sound like a cool option, but don't rule out WSU. It will get you graduated faster which is always a positive. Industry experience will trump university prestige pretty much every time, especially in the fields you've discussed (imo at least) - So long term, WSU could still be a better option for you.

Definitely don't just do first year at WSU only to transfer to first year UNSW though. That's a waste. Either stick with UNSW and do the prep program or do WSU and stay there - Both are good options and both have you studying at good universities ;D

tazza99

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2017, 10:46:13 pm »
I just finished the HSC and am planning on doing the B Electrical/M Electrical integrated degree at UNSW. I have a keen interest in physics and maths. My question is whether it is worth doing the 5 year integrated degree to obtain both an undergraduate and postgraduate qualification OR just simply going with the 4 year B Electrical degree. Is there a large difference which puts me in a better position with the masters degree OR does it not affect my employability? Also, what happens if i fail the integrated degree >> do i get pushed down into the normal B engo degree (the 4 yr one)?
Thanks in advance, I appreciate the work that goes into these forums :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2017, 11:07:00 pm »
+3
I just finished the HSC and am planning on doing the B Electrical/M Electrical integrated degree at UNSW. I have a keen interest in physics and maths. My question is whether it is worth doing the 5 year integrated degree to obtain both an undergraduate and postgraduate qualification OR just simply going with the 4 year B Electrical degree. Is there a large difference which puts me in a better position with the masters degree OR does it not affect my employability? Also, what happens if i fail the integrated degree >> do i get pushed down into the normal B engo degree (the 4 yr one)?
Thanks in advance, I appreciate the work that goes into these forums :)

Hey! The advice I've been given on doing Postgraduate study in the normal way (after the Bachelor) is that you only do it if you find something worth gaining extra knowledge in. Latching onto something in your degree and really wanting to delve into it more than the Bachelor can provide. It isn't necessarily something that will make a huge difference to your employability in the short term, though it could give you the knowledge to access different roles and progress more quickly in the mid-late stages of your career.

Are you more qualified than someone with a Bachelor only? Of course. Would, all other things equal, you be hired over someone with a Bachelor only for a graduate position? Probably. But other things like industry experience and 'soft skills' are likely to play a greater role.

However, you've got the opportunity to get the Masters qualification in half the usual time, so that sways things a bit. I'd personally do it I think, but what I'd perhaps check is if you get in and end up deciding that you want to just get into the industry at the regular time, when/if you are still able to shift back to the Bachelor. That's the downside, you are committing to delaying your graduation and getting into industry before you've started, rather than the normal pattern where that decision is made at the end.

I think it is highly likely that you could swap back to the Bachelor until about halfway through. The first half of courses would have to be common to the Bachelor and integrated programs - If that was the case, I'd be 100% backing doing the integrated degree. Then, if you get in and you just want to start working and make some dosh, you can do so ;D

If you are able to get an ATAR high enough for that program, you will be able to pass your Engineering units. Failing a course at uni is usually a freak one-off occurrence due to a bad exam. It won't happen if you work hard, and if it does, it won't happen again. Failing a course is okay though because you just redo it and pass it the next time - It extends your study, but no huge consequences for one or two shockers ;D

Beca-W

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2017, 05:31:58 pm »
Hi Jamon/Rui/Jacky. Thanks for answering my questions   :)
1) What do you think of a computer science/law double degree? Do you know anyone who has studied this/how common is this degree choice?
2) I've heard that the workload for both engineering and law is quite large, so do you think this combination is manageable?
3) Would you know how many hours per week I'd be likely to spend in lectures/tutorials for this double degree?
Thanks again!!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2017, 06:21:07 pm »
+1
Hi Jamon/Rui/Jacky. Thanks for answering my questions   :)
1) What do you think of a computer science/law double degree? Do you know anyone who has studied this/how common is this degree choice?
2) I've heard that the workload for both engineering and law is quite large, so do you think this combination is manageable?
3) Would you know how many hours per week I'd be likely to spend in lectures/tutorials for this double degree?
Thanks again!!

Hey! Welcome to the forums - You're very welcome! ;D

1) I think that sounds like a cool double! I don't anticipate that those two skillsets will overlap much though - Meaning, whatever career you progress into, you'll use one set of skills or the other. This is both a pro and a con - Absolutely though, you'll be learning two very useful sets of skills. This could give you more versatility in choosing what you do with yourself post university :)

2) Engineering workload is definitely large, computer science has the potential to be a black hole depending on how much of a perfectionist you are to get your stuff working just right. Law is heavy too - Lots of readings and class attendance will be far more important if not mandatory. Is it manageable? Absolutely, just be prepared to work really hard. You'll still only be doing four courses per semester - It's not like you'll be doing more than anyone else at any given time ;D

3) Since attendance in Law classes often counts towards marks, you'll be catching most classes for your Law units. Computer science lectures you might skip - I've skipped a lot of computer science lectures to no detriment. For Comp Sci, you'll also have labs. Be prepared for 20+ hours in class per week ;D

SpanishPear

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2017, 06:28:39 pm »
Hey Rui,
I REALLY have my heart set on doing Computer Science at UNSW  when i finish year 12 (2018), but as every student is, im concerned about the ATAR requirement (92), how do i get into Computer Science if i do NOT get the atar requirements?

angelahchan

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2017, 08:46:31 pm »
Hi, is it possible to do engineering without having learnt physics before and only ext. 1 maths?  If not, do you guys have any recommendations for online bridging courses (as I'll be going overseas)?

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2017, 08:58:42 pm »
Hey Rui,
I REALLY have my heart set on doing Computer Science at UNSW  when i finish year 12 (2018), but as every student is, im concerned about the ATAR requirement (92), how do i get into Computer Science if i do NOT get the atar requirements?
Hi there =)

If you don't get the required ATAR in 2018, you can choose 2 options:
- Study at another university and then do an external transfer via UAC
> http://www.uac.edu.au/undergraduate/offers/transferring.shtml

- Study a degree (in the same Uni) with a lower ATAR (say.. do arts at UNSW and then internally transfer).
Arts and business = 90
Media (PR and advertising) = 85 ATAR.

So you get 89 ATAR, you can do Media for 6 months and then transfer!
If you don't get into the course of your dreams in the first go, it isn't the be all , end all !

SpanishPear

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2017, 11:07:28 am »
Awesome! Thats really comforting knowing the world isnt over if i dont get that ATAR requirement  :D.
Whats Computer Science like?