Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 08:46:34 am

Author Topic: paper 1 unseen help!!  (Read 1233 times)

emilyyyyyyy

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
paper 1 unseen help!!
« on: October 16, 2019, 03:54:05 pm »
Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips for the unseen questions? I can never easily think of how to analyse them, and I always end up writing the wrong thing :/

Also, how should we structure our answers?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: paper 1 unseen help!!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 10:23:50 pm »
+3
Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips for the unseen questions? I can never easily think of how to analyse them, and I always end up writing the wrong thing :/

Also, how should we structure our answers?

Hey, Emily!

This is really late on my end for a reply but hopefully you'll see this before tomorrow! When you start reading time, read the questions first before you head to the texts. This can make sure you know what exactly you're looking for in the text and not just aimlessly trying to make meaning out of it. After you read the question, think of which rubric concepts you can use to answer it. If it says human motivations, use human motivations but if it's more vague like the experience of hardship, you could look at how hardship is paradoxical in that it is in those experiences that humans truly grow and learn.

Once you've done that, read through the texts and identify which quotes and techniques align with your intended answers. Immediately underline them once your reading time ends so you don't forget them as you go through the paper! Always go back to the question if you feel like you're getting stuck and think about the different concepts from the Human Experiences module. This will ensure your response is geared to the question and that you're finding what's relevant to implement in your answer.

As for structuring the short answers, I would go with a regular PEEL paragraph for 2-3 markers, a slightly longer PEEL paragraph for 4-5 markers and anything from 6 marks onwards, I would have a "mini essay" that has a conceptual statement, two PEEL paragraphs and a concluding sentence. The number of quotes you have in total should be one less than the mark you've been allocated for the question (so if it's a 2 marker, 1 quote and technique, for a 7 marker, 6 quotes which you can divide into three per PEEL paragraph). Hope that helps and good luck for tomorrow's exam!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

LoneWolf

• MOTM: March 20
  • Trendsetter
  • 2020!
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 06:11:42 am »
Hello Angewina,
I am in year 11 hand having major problems with time management and am trying to practice english unseen text analysis.
Can you give me a specific time for which i should allocate/work towards for a unseen text analysis, or is it too ambiguous?
Business Studies
Economics
Modern History
English
Maths

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 09:23:07 am »
Hello Angewina,
I am in year 11 hand having major problems with time management and am trying to practice english unseen text analysis.
Can you give me a specific time for which i should allocate/work towards for a unseen text analysis, or is it too ambiguous?

Hey, LoneWolf!

Exam time management is something that develops over lots of practice. For unseen texts, it's particularly important you do this to give yourself opportunities to evaluate what works and what doesn't.

Could you clarify for the second question whether you mean time management for the exam itself or time management in general for the HSC? If it's the former, you would allocate ten minutes of time to reading the question and unseen texts. I always recommend reading the question first so you know what to look for in the unseen text and this will guide your interpretation of it. Once reading time is up, find the techniques you want to use and quickly underline them so you don't forget as you're writing. Then you can go ahead and attempt the questions. If it's the latter, I would recommend doing unseen texts practice at least once a month. The year is going to be really busy and it's completely normal if you get caught up in other subjects. It's just good to touch base with yourself here and there to see if you're improving and if you need to revise anything.

My final point is that you're still in early stages for the HSC so while it might be really frightening and intense, you've got a whole year to master it  :) It's great to see that you're showing eagerness now to set goals and work towards them. Once the HSC papers are done for this year, I hope to do a big review on it and I'll let you know then when it's out so you can see my thoughts on the unseen section. Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

LoneWolf

• MOTM: March 20
  • Trendsetter
  • 2020!
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 11:24:08 am »
+1
This is just in general for the HSC (2020). I have real problems with time management and was trying to alot time for unseen texts part of paper 1.

thanks very much
Business Studies
Economics
Modern History
English
Maths