Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:21:58 am

Author Topic: Horrible SAC Result.  (Read 4715 times)  Share 

Azzzz

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
Horrible SAC Result.
« on: April 09, 2017, 08:28:06 pm »
Hello all!
I'm in year 11 and I recently got my 1st psychology unit 3/4 SAC results back and I'm extremely disappointed with what I got....I got 34.5/50 (69%) and I'm ranked 9th in my class out of 20 people. Since this ranking is only out of my class there is no doubt within my mind that I'm even lower out of all my cohort. But my question is will it still be possible to get a 40+ study score despite this horrible result? I'm extremely sad and my cohort is not extremely strong but there are quite a few students who are extremely intelligent. I'm just concerned about a 40+ study score.
Thanks in advance :)
BCom - Monash

koreaboo99

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
Re: Horrible SAC Result.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 08:55:25 pm »
+5
Hey!  It is definitely possible to get a 40+ I assure you that.  From personal experience, I can attest to the fact that it is indeed the exam that can either make or break your study score.  My SACs for philosophy last year ranged from the 60s to mid-80s, no 90s and I don't even know nor have an idea of what my ranking was.  Nonetheless, I still ended up with a 43 because of nailing the exam.  This is, by no means, to say that SACs aren't important, but they get scaled according to your performance on the exam (on the results thing, it showed my grade for GA1 and GA2 as A+ and A respectivly - nowhere near my SAC study scores for any of the GAs!)  So yeah, hopefully this cheers you up and gives you the motivation you need to get that 40+!  It is definitely possible, it's only your first SAC, you have the whole year to turn the tables around! :))))

However, I would like to encourage you to study hard for your SACs as they do nonetheless play some role in determining your study score.  Work hard for your SACs, but don't get disappointed by them as they are by no means, the be all and end all.  Yeah, I think that sums up everything I wanna say - work hard for them, but don't get disappointed by them.  Instead focus on what you can learn from them and how to apply this knowledge to nail the exam :)

Hope this was helpful!

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 12:16:20 pm »
Hello all!
I'm in year 11 and I recently got my 1st psychology unit 3/4 SAC results back and I'm extremely disappointed with what I got....I got 34.5/50 (69%) and I'm ranked 9th in my class out of 20 people. Since this ranking is only out of my class there is no doubt within my mind that I'm even lower out of all my cohort. But my question is will it still be possible to get a 40+ study score despite this horrible result? I'm extremely sad and my cohort is not extremely strong but there are quite a few students who are extremely intelligent. I'm just concerned about a 40+ study score.
Thanks in advance :)

Hey Azzzz. :)

Is Psych your first 3/4 subject?

To answer your question directly: yeah, absolutely still possible to get that 40+ study score. No doubt about it. I mean, the whole VCE system is designed so that one result in isolation won't hugely impact your study score. I know people who were devastated about one or two SACs and then went on to achieve a 50 in that subject lol.

What I'd personally be focusing on right now is less the quantitative stuff (so like, where you're ranked, or what raw percentage you scored in the first SAC or whatever else), and more the qualitative stuff. By that I mean things like:

- Why did you lose the marks you did?
- How can you improve for future SACs?
- Did you study effectively?

Because really, these are the sort of things that will push you toward a 40+ study score. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Azzzz

• Trailblazer
Horrible SAC Result.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 04:21:19 pm »
Hey Azzzz. :)

Is Psych your first 3/4 subject?

To answer your question directly: yeah, absolutely still possible to get that 40+ study score. No doubt about it. I mean, the whole VCE system is designed so that one result in isolation won't hugely impact your study score. I know people who were devastated about one or two SACs and then went on to achieve a 50 in that subject lol.

What I'd personally be focusing on right now is less the quantitative stuff (so like, where you're ranked, or what raw percentage you scored in the first SAC or whatever else), and more the qualitative stuff. By that I mean things like:

- Why did you lose the marks you did?
- How can you improve for future SACs?
- Did you study effectively?

Because really, these are the sort of things that will push you toward a 40+ study score. :)

Hey Joseph! Psych is my first 3/4 subject and my only 3/4 subject this year as we are only allowed one accelerated subject :/ I found out about my result over email and they have not moderated the SACs yet therefore I have no idea what I did badly but will find out once school starts again :) I know my teacher is the strictest marker among the psychology teachers in my school so hopefully I will get an extra mark or two from other teachers :p Thanks for your reply it definetly cheered me up and I'm not going to take psychology as lightly as I did in the first term and will strive to get 100 in every SAC from now on! Thank you once again :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 10:00:59 am by Azzzz »
BCom - Monash

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 04:56:49 pm »
Hey Joseph! Psych is my first 3/4 subject and my only 3/4 subject this year as we are only allowed one accelerated subject :/ I found out about my result over email and they have not moderated the SACs yet therefore I have no idea what I did badly but will find out once school starts again :) I know my teacher is the strictest marker among the psychology teachers in my school so hopefully I will get an extra mark or two from other teachers :p Thanks for your reply it definetly cheered me up and I'm not going to take psychology as lightly as I did in the first term and will strive to get 100+ in every SAC from now on! Thank you once again :)

Not a problem at all! Let us know how you're going throughout the year. :)

This SAC result aside, are you generally enjoying Psych's content?

Azzzz

• Trailblazer
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 05:02:01 pm »
+1
Not a problem at all! Let us know how you're going throughout the year. :)

This SAC result aside, are you generally enjoying Psych's content?
I will definelty let you know! :) I don't mind the content covered so far in psych but some topics do bore me haha....I want to become a psychiatrist so I have to ace psych this year. However, I am looking forward to the topics we are going to cover :)
BCom - Monash

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 05:03:00 pm »
I will definelty let you know! :) I don't mind the content covered so far in psych but some topics do bore me haha....I want to become a psychiatrist so I have to ace psych this year. However, I am looking forward to the topics we are going to cover :)

Right on! ;D What are you looking forward to most?

Azzzz

• Trailblazer
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 05:07:09 pm »
+1
Right on! ;D What are you looking forward to most?
Probably what influences mental wellbeing :)
BCom - Monash

Molel Sunil

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 08:32:04 pm »
I got 12.5 out of 25 for my psych sac last week and the teacher said the vcaa marks it out of 16.6. Does this mean I just got a pass? Is it medium or low? Just wandering

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 09:33:30 pm »
+1
I got 12.5 out of 25 for my psych sac last week and the teacher said the vcaa marks it out of 16.6. Does this mean I just got a pass? Is it medium or low? Just wandering

Your teacher probably means that Unit 3 SACs are worth 16% of your study score for psychology. Given you got above 30%, you must have passed the SAC, but whether the score itself is considered medium or low depends entirely on your cohort.
UAdel MBBS

zhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • The world is a bitter place
  • Respect: +338
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 09:42:07 pm »
+1
Basically it doesn't matter that you got 12.5/25, what matters is your ranking in the cohort, since VCAA doesn't care about specific SAC marks, as different schools have SACs of different difficulty. Here's a link about SAC rankings if you want to read about it. https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=160060.0