Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 01:47:49 am

Author Topic: Looking toward 2017: ask your Psych questions here  (Read 17381 times)  Share 

Digi

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Looking toward 2017: ask your Psych questions here
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2017, 08:01:19 pm »
Is psych as content heavy as say, biology?

Butterflygirl

• Trendsetter
  • An evil ferocious demon.
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2017, 08:04:23 pm »

Definitely. I did bio last year and it was super content heavy and from what I've heard so far, psych is just as content heavy or maybe even more.

Digi

• Adventurer
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2017, 08:10:55 pm »
Definitely. I did bio last year and it was super content heavy and from what I've heard so far, psych is just as content heavy or maybe even more.

Does that mean it would take up heaps of time in year 12? More than subjects like chem?

Butterflygirl

• Trendsetter
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2017, 08:18:55 pm »
Does that mean it would take up heaps of time in year 12? More than subjects like chem?

Yeah, it would take heaps of time but to be honest, in year 12, all your subjects will take heaps of time.

Also, remember that this depends on the person. If your strong in one subject, you may not have to invest as much time as another subject which you find difficult.

seth

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2017, 10:22:34 pm »
Ohh okay but why does the neural message jump from one node (node of ranvier) to the next? Or do you mean it jumps from myelin sheath to myelin sheath? because its the insulated segment of the axon?

Thanks again! :)

The reason why it jumps from node to node is a bit out of the scope of the study design. But if you're interested I remember my teacher saying something about action potential or something, can't remember cause I wasn't paying attention.  ::) ::)

Butterflygirl

• Trendsetter
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2017, 10:24:16 pm »
The reason why it jumps from node to node is a bit out of the scope of the study design. But if you're interested I remember my teacher saying something about action potential or something, can't remember cause I wasn't paying attention.  ::) ::)

Hahah, thanks :)

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2017, 12:02:29 am »
Yeah, it would take heaps of time but to be honest, in year 12, all your subjects will take heaps of time.

This!
I'd say that almost everyone finds that year 12 takes up a lot of time; irrespective of the specific subjects one completes. :)
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2017, 09:32:26 am »
+1
I quite honestly know very little about nodes, so thank you seth for answering that question haha.

I can't comment specifically on the Biology comparison (as I didn't study Bio), but Psych is definitely content-heavy. I also studied Business Management and HHD, and it's on par with those in terms of content IMO (if that helps at all).

To an extent this'll sound stupid but like, it depends how much time you put into it. It also depends on how much you enjoy it. It also depends on how hard you find it. I don't think anybody can really answer this sufficiently.

EDIT: Yeah, basically what Butterflygirl said in regard to this. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Digi

• Adventurer
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2017, 06:33:21 pm »
I don't really have any other subjects to do in year 12, so would psych be good to take as a filler? Or it just depends if I like it?

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2017, 09:08:15 am »
I don't really have any other subjects to do in year 12, so would psych be good to take as a filler? Or it just depends if I like it?

What do you mean when you say there aren't really any other subjects? Do you mean there aren't any other subjects that you like? I'd be hesitant to choose Psych (or any subject) just as a "filler", but I'd definitely recommend Psych in general. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

NAT0003

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2017, 04:55:33 pm »
What do you mean when you say there aren't really any other subjects? Do you mean there aren't any other subjects that you like? I'd be hesitant to choose Psych (or any subject) just as a "filler", but I'd definitely recommend Psych in general. :)
48 for psychology is amazing :)

forbiddensoulxx

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2017, 05:45:56 pm »
Could someone explain what context-specific effectiveness is, elements of a stressful situation which are relevant to context-specific effectiveness and examples of a context-specific effectiveness is demonstrated and not demonstrated.

Also, not a question, but does anyone find the JacPlus book has some dodgy questions?
VCE
Spoiler
2017: Psychology [45]
2018: Economics [50] Legal Studies [42] Methods [37] Accounting [46] English Language [36]
ATAR: 98.4
Open to tutoring and selling notes for some of these subjects, PM me for more details!

Uni
Spoiler
Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash

seth

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2017, 08:33:41 pm »
+1
Could someone explain what context-specific effectiveness is, elements of a stressful situation which are relevant to context-specific effectiveness and examples of a context-specific effectiveness is demonstrated and not demonstrated.

Also, not a question, but does anyone find the JacPlus book has some dodgy questions?

Assuming that this is in terms of stress, context-specific effectiveness refers to a coping strategy's ability to deal with a specific stressful situation. For example, studying is a context-specific effective strategy for SAC stress, whereas wishful thinking for a good grade isn't. In determining if whether a strategy is effective, an individual should take account the cause of stress, and most importantly is their own personality. If you are a person that hates physical activity for example, exercise wouldn't be an effective strategy for coping with stress. Likewise could be said for a person who doesn't like planners using one to help manage stress from making time for different commitments.

With regard to JacPlus, I find the questions reasonable but my teacher thinks the author is "a bit wonky-donky" and "loopy" at times (her words, not mine :P) so the questions aren't always the best. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 08:43:12 pm by seth »

forbiddensoulxx

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2017, 09:02:47 pm »

Thanks a lot for that! Just have a few more questions again before my SAC next week haha.

What primarily determines whether or not a neurotransmitter will have an excitatory or inhibitory effect?

List the key steps in the spinal re ex sequence of activity that enables a withdrawal response to occur before the brain
processes the conscious perception of pain.

Explain why a spinal re ex involving a withdrawal response is considered to be an adaptive response with reference to
conscious and unconscious responses to sensory stimuli.
VCE
Spoiler
2017: Psychology [45]
2018: Economics [50] Legal Studies [42] Methods [37] Accounting [46] English Language [36]
ATAR: 98.4
Open to tutoring and selling notes for some of these subjects, PM me for more details!

Uni
Spoiler
Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash

NAT0003

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2017, 11:09:15 am »
Do you learn about sleep and dream theories in psych