Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 05:07:22 pm

Author Topic: Help WITH Nervous System Question  (Read 5798 times)  Share 

responsibleforeverything

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Help WITH Nervous System Question
« on: November 19, 2016, 08:23:55 pm »
I just recently picked up psych 3/4 and I'm confused on how to answer this question; identify and explain the role of two relevant divisions of the nervous system in each of the scenarios below.

Scenario 3
Evan is woken and startled by a tapping sound on his window in the middle of the night. He is unsure of what the cause of the tapping is so he grabs his cricket bat from the cupboard and decides to open his curtain and investigate.

Scenario 4
Tony is watching the news on television but realises the sound isn’t loud enough. He reaches for the remote and increases the volume so he can hear what is being said more clearly.

Scenario 5
Carol is lying on the grass in her backyard catching some rays. She feels a tickle on her leg, looks down and realises it’s a butterfly. Carol then gently brushes it off her leg and it flutters off to the nearby garden bed.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Help WITH Nervous System Question
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 08:43:08 pm »
+3
I just recently picked up psych 3/4 and I'm confused on how to answer this question; identify and explain the role of two relevant divisions of the nervous system in each of the scenarios below.

Scenario 3
Evan is woken and startled by a tapping sound on his window in the middle of the night. He is unsure of what the cause of the tapping is so he grabs his cricket bat from the cupboard and decides to open his curtain and investigate.

Scenario 4
Tony is watching the news on television but realises the sound isn’t loud enough. He reaches for the remote and increases the volume so he can hear what is being said more clearly.

Scenario 5
Carol is lying on the grass in her backyard catching some rays. She feels a tickle on her leg, looks down and realises it’s a butterfly. Carol then gently brushes it off her leg and it flutters off to the nearby garden bed.

Hi there, responsibleforeverything. Welcome to ATAR Notes! :)

So firstly, the nervous system has a number of divisions. This isn't quite how I'd explain it, but it's pretty much like this:

These particular questions appear to be concerned with the distinction between sensory (afferent) neurons and motor (efferent) neurons. Basically, sensory neurons send messages (if you will) from the organs to the brain, whilst motor neurons send messages from the brain to the organs. In, say, Scenario 5, sensory neurons would be responsible for allowing Carol to feel the tickle on her leg (that message is taken to the brain, where it is processed), whilst motor neurons would allow Carol to make the physical movements to brush it off.

The question asks for the role of the two relevant divisions of the nervous system. Slightly ambiguous, IMO, but I'd probably answer by noting that the central nervous system and the peripheral nervous system are both in play. The former processes the sensory information, whilst the latter (and more specifically the somatic nervous system) is responsible for the voluntary movements.

Does that make sense?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

responsibleforeverything

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 09:19:21 pm »
Hi there, responsibleforeverything. Welcome to ATAR Notes! :)

So firstly, the nervous system has a number of divisions. This isn't quite how I'd explain it, but it's pretty much like this:

(Image removed from quote.)

These particular questions appear to be concerned with the distinction between sensory (afferent) neurons and motor (efferent) neurons. Basically, sensory neurons send messages (if you will) from the organs to the brain, whilst motor neurons send messages from the brain to the organs. In, say, Scenario 5, sensory neurons would be responsible for allowing Carol to feel the tickle on her leg (that message is taken to the brain, where it is processed), whilst motor neurons would allow Carol to make the physical movements to brush it off.

The question asks for the role of the two relevant divisions of the nervous system. Slightly ambiguous, IMO, but I'd probably answer by noting that the central nervous system and the peripheral nervous system are both in play. The former processes the sensory information, whilst the latter (and more specifically the somatic nervous system) is responsible for the voluntary movements.

Does that make sense?

Yes, that mainly makes sense thank you!! However, I'm confused with the first one because I'm pretty sure the sympathetic nervous system would be involved in there somewhere. How would you phrase that, like if you were to outline the pathway of the response?

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 10:25:23 pm »
+1
Yes, that mainly makes sense thank you!! However, I'm confused with the first one because I'm pretty sure the sympathetic nervous system would be involved in there somewhere. How would you phrase that, like if you were to outline the pathway of the response?

Great point! Yep, the sympathetic nervous system would definitely be activated ("Evan is woken and startled by a tapping sound on his window in the middle of the night"). I personally don't think you need to outline the pathway as such. As long as you identify and explain two divisions, I think it'd be fine. So you might even have dot points:

Sympathetic nervous system: Evan was startled etc.

Somatic nervous system: Voluntary movements etc.

If you fancy having a crack at answering, we can collectively give feedback. :)

responsibleforeverything

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 11:27:31 am »
Great point! Yep, the sympathetic nervous system would definitely be activated ("Evan is woken and startled by a tapping sound on his window in the middle of the night"). I personally don't think you need to outline the pathway as such. As long as you identify and explain two divisions, I think it'd be fine. So you might even have dot points:

If you fancy having a crack at answering, we can collectively give feedback. :)

Thank you!!!
But IF you were to answer it by outlining the pathway, how would you do this for 2 and 3, because I am not sure how you would include the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system in the response? In 2, would the somatic nervous be involved in sensing the sound? And would the sound be processes in the CNS by the brain and THEN would the sympathetic system come into play?

Eg. Jemma picks up a glass of soda.

Somatic NS; Motor neurons are responsible for initiating the movement of the muscles in the arm and hand so she can pick up the soda.

Somatic NS; Sensory neurons convey the sensation to the brain via the spinal cord.

CNS; The brain processes the soda as being cool.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 02:42:18 pm »
Thank you!!!

No problem. :)

But IF you were to answer it by outlining the pathway, how would you do this for 2 and 3, because I am not sure how you would include the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system in the response?

What do you mean? For 2 and 3 marks, or for questions 2 (Scenario 4) and 3 (Scenario 5)?

Eg. Jemma picks up a glass of soda.

Somatic NS; Motor neurons are responsible for initiating the movement of the muscles in the arm and hand so she can pick up the soda.

Somatic NS; Sensory neurons convey the sensation to the brain via the spinal cord.

CNS; The brain processes the soda as being cool.

Yeah, so if the scenario were Jemma picking up a glass of soda, I think your explanation here is pretty spot on. You might like to mention that initially, the motor neurons travel from the brain to the organs, which allow for the voluntary movement (and, equally, that the sensory neurons originate in the organs).

Does that answer your question(s), or have I gone off a little tangentially? :)

lleeea

• Trendsetter
  • dont judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 09:21:54 pm »
Hey everybodayyy,

wow looks like we both got the same hw coz im also stuck on the same questions. tbh with you'all, i suck at these scenario type questions where you have to apply your understanding n stuff its just so challenging, i just dont get them.like why cant vcaa just give clear, straightforward, knowledge based questions it just makes life so easier. anyway, so back to the questions, these are the questions im stuck at, like i know all parts of the nervous system and their functions, but im just having difficulty answering these scenario type questions. could you please help me and is there a formula you can use, like in sacs, to answer scenario questions and if there is, please tell me. it will save my life, coz i tend to get very overwhelmed and scared when i see these kinda questions (ANSWERING SCENARIO RELATED QUESTIONS IS ONE OF MY BIGGEST WEAKNESSES)

Scenario 1: Georgia's cat Trixie is rubbing against her leg and meowing for attention. She decides to pick her up and give her a cuddle:
'My answer (its really bad, i know, but at least i made an attempt): "When Georgie picks her cat, Trixie up, to give her a cuddle, motor neurons would initiate the movement of the skeletal muscles in her hands, hence enabling Georgie to pick up her cat"-

i feel my answer is incomplete and that i could add so much more but i dont know what else to write so pls feel free to give possible alternative answers/suggestions on how to improve my answer coz i know my answer is crap. (i am open to constructive critisism)

Katlii

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 10:06:24 pm »
+1

Scenario 1: Georgia's cat Trixie is rubbing against her leg and meowing for attention. She decides to pick her up and give her a cuddle:
'My answer (its really bad, i know, but at least i made an attempt): "When Georgie picks her cat, Trixie up, to give her a cuddle, motor neurons would initiate the movement of the skeletal muscles in her hands, hence enabling Georgie to pick up her cat"-

Hello! Awesome attempt :)
So the question here wants you to outline each of the stages of the neural pathway. You've done a great job at the motor response part of that, but could also expand on the other steps in the process.
So generally with this type of question, there are three stages you need to address:
1. Sensory reception: sensory receptors in Georgia's leg receive the sensation of the cat, and also auditory receptors in the ears would collect information on the cat meowing for attention. The sensory neuron (as part of the somatic NS, subdivision of the peripheral NS) then transmits this sensory information to the CNS.
2. Interneurons in the CNS help to transmit the information to the brain, up the spinal cord. Sensory information is received in relevant lobes (e.g. temporal for auditory, parietal for the leg sensations), and then the decision to pick up the cat is made in the frontal lobe. That message is transmitted to the primary motor cortex.
3. Motor cortex delivers a message via motor neurons (back through the peripheral NS) to skeletal muscles in the arm, which voluntarily pick up the cat :)

So you have a pretty sweet understanding of the process of motor neurons and the mention of skeletal muscles. Doing some more of these scenario questions with reference to the full neural pathway - from sensation, to processing, to response - is a good idea.

Good luck with your homework!
2017 ATAR: 99.80
English [50] Psychology [50] Legal Studies [47] Literature [46]
Offering tutoring and essay corrections :)
Tutoring for all your VCE subjects at https://www.aptitute.net/

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 10:20:06 pm »
+1
Hey everybodayyy,

wow looks like we both got the same hw coz im also stuck on the same questions. tbh with you'all, i suck at these scenario type questions where you have to apply your understanding n stuff its just so challenging, i just dont get them.like why cant vcaa just give clear, straightforward, knowledge based questions it just makes life so easier. anyway, so back to the questions, these are the questions im stuck at, like i know all parts of the nervous system and their functions, but im just having difficulty answering these scenario type questions. could you please help me and is there a formula you can use, like in sacs, to answer scenario questions and if there is, please tell me. it will save my life, coz i tend to get very overwhelmed and scared when i see these kinda questions (ANSWERING SCENARIO RELATED QUESTIONS IS ONE OF MY BIGGEST WEAKNESSES)

i feel my answer is incomplete and that i could add so much more but i dont know what else to write so pls feel free to give possible alternative answers/suggestions on how to improve my answer coz i know my answer is crap. (i am open to constructive critisism)

In your response you have focused on "picking up the cat" a lot rather than considering the whole scenario. Maybe it would help you to break down scenarios into multiple components when you read them.

So this one can be broken into  sensing the cat (sensory) -> making the decision (CNS) -> picking up the cat (motor) as outlined by Katlii above

Neural system scenarios can often be broken into afferent, interneurons, and efferent or sympathetic and parasympathetic  so perhaps looking for these components can help you comprehensively address this style of question

lleeea

• Trendsetter
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 11:48:53 am »
hey guys,
thx so much for replying, especially Katlii no wonder you got 50 in psychology your answer is so good and concise i wish i could write like that, i tend to overcomplicate things and thats why i dont get questions like these right. sorry for taking your time during the holidays so kind of all of you to reply i absolutely appreciate your generosity and help.
actually this was my original answer to the question:
Sensory neurons or receptors in Georgia's leg will detect the sensation of rubbing caused by her cat, Tixie, and transmit this sensory information of rubbing to the CNS (spinal cord), via the PNS and somatic nervous system. The interneurons located in the spinal cord will receive this sensory message of rubbing and subsequently relay these messages to the brain. The brain, including the somatosensory cortex in parietal lobe, which will process the sensation of rubbing (touch) from the cat, will make a decision to pick up the cat, and transmit this motor information, down through the spinal cord, to the skeletal muscles in Georgia's hand or forearm, via the PNS, thus enabling her to pick up her cat.

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 好きこそものの上手なれ ☆ What one likes, one will do well
  • Respect: +383
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 01:26:47 pm »
+2
I think this question has already been addressed well, but I thought I'd just put in my thoughts on your response.
Sensory neurons or receptors in Georgia's leg will detect the sensation of rubbing caused by her cat, Tixie, and transmit this sensory information of rubbing to the CNS (spinal cord), via the PNS and somatic nervous system.
Since the somatic nervous system is a branch of the PNS, mentioning both could be a bit redundant.
Same concept with neurons/receptors. Sensory receptors are actually a part of the sensory neuron itself, so you can just say 'sensory neuron'. Otherwise, 'sensory receptor' is used throughout the psychology course and textbook and is widely understood, so you can use that. But surely using one is more succinct.
This could be me being suuuper picky but personally I wouldn't write "CNS (spinal cord)" because it gives off the impression that you're saying CNS=spinal cord (and neglecting the brain). I would say one or the other, or CNS (via the spinal cord). But seriously that's probably way too petty and it sounds fine lmao.

The brain, including the somatosensory cortex in parietal lobe, which will process the sensation of rubbing (touch) from the cat, will make a decision to pick up the cat, and transmit this motor information, down through the spinal cord, to the skeletal muscles in Georgia's hand or forearm, via the PNS, thus enabling her to pick up her cat.
Touch and rubbing - one or the other.
As for "will pick up the cat", I think this statement makes the sentence too long and a little misleading. I would have made one statement, "the somatosensory cortex of the parietal lobe processes the sensory stimuli (rubbing).", followed by "then the brain [or frontal lobe, if you wanted], makes the decision to pick the cat up and coordinates a motor response to pick the cat up etc. etc."
But that's also just picky and my opinion.
Anyway I think if you want to make your answers succinct, be precise and avoid giving two alternatives because they are usually one and the same.
Sometimes you make choices, and sometimes choices make you.

♡ Subjects ♡
2015: Japanese SL [42]
2016: Psychology [43] Philosophy [36] Japanese SL [50] [Premier's Award]
2017: UMEP Further Advanced Japanese [4.5]
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]
ATAR: 97.45
2019-2024: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ UNSW

Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
Is Repeating a VCE Subject Worth It?

lleeea

• Trendsetter
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 02:48:48 pm »
thx so much for the help everyone. and sorry for throwing a tsunami of questions
can you please also give feedback on my response to another similar scenario question:
Scenario: Evan is woken and startled by a tapping sound on his window in the middle of the night. He is unsure of what the cause of the tapping is so he grabs his cricket bat from the cupboard and decides to open his curtains and investigate.a;
My answer: Evan's sympathetic nervous system would have been immediately activated since he was startled by the tapping sound, which could have further activated the flight/fight/freeze response in his body and initiated physiological responses, such as an increase in heart rate so the heart beats more faster and blood and oxygen is pumped throughout the body at a more faster rate, dilation of pupils, etc.  As well as that, auditory receptors in Evan's ears would receive information on the tapping sound on his windows, and this information would be transmitted to the CNS via the sensory neurons (as part of the somatic and peripheral nervous system). The sensory information would then be received by the relevant lobes of the brain, including the temporal lobe, which would process the auditory information of the tapping sound and the frontal lobe, which would interpret the tapping sound as a potentially dangerous or life-threatening stimulus or sound and thus make a decision to pick up the cricket bat from the cupboard and open the curtains to investigate. That message would then be transmitted to the primary motor cortex, which would then deliver a message via motor neurons to the skeletal muscles in Evan's arms to pick up the cricket bat, open the curtains and approach and deal with the tapping sound through the activation of the sympathetic nervous system.

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 好きこそものの上手なれ ☆ What one likes, one will do well
  • Respect: +383
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 03:31:17 pm »
+2
My answer: Evan's sympathetic nervous system would have been immediately activated since he was startled by the tapping sound, which could have further activated the flight/fight/freeze response in his body and initiated physiological responses, such as an increase in heart rate so the heart beats more faster and blood and oxygen is pumped throughout the body at a more faster rate, dilation of pupils, etc.
This is unnecessary. I wouldn't waste the time/space on defining "heart rate" since it is pretty self-explanatory and afaik it's not a necessary definition for psychology.
As well as that, auditory receptors in Evan's ears would receive information on the tapping sound on his windows, and this information would be transmitted to the CNS via the sensory neurons (as part of the somatic and peripheral nervous system). The sensory information would then be received by the relevant lobes of the brain, including the temporal lobe, which would process the auditory information of the tapping sound and the frontal lobe, which would interpret the tapping sound as a potentially dangerous or life-threatening stimulus or sound and thus make a decision to pick up the cricket bat from the cupboard and open the curtains to investigate. That message would then be transmitted to the primary motor cortex, which would then deliver a message via motor neurons to the skeletal muscles in Evan's arms to pick up the cricket bat, open the curtains and approach and deal with the tapping sound through the activation of the sympathetic nervous system.
I still think there is a lot of superfluous explanation given here. E.g. "potentially dangerous or life-threatening sound or stimulus". Dangerous and life-threatening are almost synonymous and the sound is the stimulus. Honestly writing "potentially dangerous stimulus" is taking seven words to three. If you're writing these on your laptop and not on paper, that might be the problem. Under timed and written conditions, it's much harder to bother with this kind of thing. That's what I found anyway. The bold parts are this ^
The final "through the activation of the sympathetic nervous system" is almost wrong in my opinion. The preceding explanation: "... pick up the cricket bat, open the curtains and approach and deal with the tapping sound" are all not governed by the sympathetic nervous system. The sympathetic system is definitely involved, but not there in my opinion.

I went back and read the original question actually (probably should have in the first place lol). Honestly, I think the key thing is the question:
Identify and explain the role of two relevant divisions of the nervous system in each of the scenarios below.
The focus should be on the two relevant divisions of the nervous system. The process is idk good if you have the line space but otherwise, assuming this is a 3-point question, the marks would be: identifying one relevant division (1), identifying another (1), and explaining them with reference to the scenario (1). Or maybe identifying the divisions (1), explaining their use in the scenario (2).
Because of this, Joseph41's answer is actually great.

If you need to have more explanation (again, judging by the amount of line space provided), then you can include some more.
But essentially, I think the advantage of having subheadings like Joseph41's example is that the "identifying" marks are done and dusted, indisputably. That could be 1/3 or even 2/3 marks.
Reading your response, I think it is a little difficult to distinguish which systems you're trying to identify and how exactly they work in the scenario. It might not be as easy as compared to Joseph41's example to secure those 1 or 2 marks. And sometimes, if those 1-2 marks can't be awarded, the third is not because the nervous system function cannot be applied to the scenario if the assessor is unsure of which nervous systems are being emphasised.
Anyway!!! That's just what I think. I'd love to hear some other people's takes.
Sometimes you make choices, and sometimes choices make you.

♡ Subjects ♡
2015: Japanese SL [42]
2016: Psychology [43] Philosophy [36] Japanese SL [50] [Premier's Award]
2017: UMEP Further Advanced Japanese [4.5]
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]
ATAR: 97.45
2019-2024: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ UNSW

Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
Is Repeating a VCE Subject Worth It?

lleeea

• Trendsetter
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 07:12:07 pm »
This is unnecessary. I wouldn't waste the time/space on defining "heart rate" since it is pretty self-explanatory and afaik it's not a necessary definition for psychology.I still think there is a lot of superfluous explanation given here. E.g. "potentially dangerous or life-threatening sound or stimulus". Dangerous and life-threatening are almost synonymous and the sound is the stimulus. Honestly writing "potentially dangerous stimulus" is taking seven words to three. If you're writing these on your laptop and not on paper, that might be the problem. Under timed and written conditions, it's much harder to bother with this kind of thing. That's what I found anyway. The bold parts are this ^
The final "through the activation of the sympathetic nervous system" is almost wrong in my opinion. The preceding explanation: "... pick up the cricket bat, open the curtains and approach and deal with the tapping sound" are all not governed by the sympathetic nervous system. The sympathetic system is definitely involved, but not there in my opinion.

I went back and read the original question actually (probably should have in the first place lol). Honestly, I think the key thing is the question:The focus should be on the two relevant divisions of the nervous system. The process is idk good if you have the line space but otherwise, assuming this is a 3-point question, the marks would be: identifying one relevant division (1), identifying another (1), and explaining them with reference to the scenario (1). Or maybe identifying the divisions (1), explaining their use in the scenario (2).
Because of this, Joseph41's answer is actually great.If you need to have more explanation (again, judging by the amount of line space provided), then you can include some more.
But essentially, I think the advantage of having subheadings like Joseph41's example is that the "identifying" marks are done and dusted, indisputably. That could be 1/3 or even 2/3 marks.
Reading your response, I think it is a little difficult to distinguish which systems you're trying to identify and how exactly they work in the scenario. It might not be as easy as compared to Joseph41's example to secure those 1 or 2 marks. And sometimes, if those 1-2 marks can't be awarded, the third is not because the nervous system function cannot be applied to the scenario if the assessor is unsure of which nervous systems are being emphasised.
Anyway!!! That's just what I think. I'd love to hear some other people's takes.

Thanks for your feedback. now i definitely know what i need to work on coz scenario type questions are just not my cup of tea, thats why i always end up writing slabs and slabs of irrelevant info thats not even related to the actual scenario