Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:13:25 am

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1231754 times)

Fergus6748

• Trendsetter
  • Never let your memories be greater than your dream
  • Respect: +20
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #4170 on: October 16, 2018, 03:06:11 pm »
+1
Hi I was wondering if I could get feedback on this thesis and whether or not it is too obscure in answering the question.

Q: To what extent do the texts you have studied reveal discoveries may be re-assessed over time?

A: It is not simply discoveries whose worth may be re-assessed over time, as discoveries themselves may provoke individuals to re-assess their beliefs regarding their identity, values and transformative introspection. As such, an individual's experiences and interactions with others in a new landscape may stimulate such reconsideration.
Heya, it's a great thesis. You've answered and exceeded the question in the first sentence then you expanded further in the second sentence. It will work well. Great job!!
Hsc: Advanced English || Maths Extension 1 || Mathematics || Economics || Chemistry || Physics

horse9996

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #4171 on: October 16, 2018, 03:46:51 pm »
For mod B, how crucial is context? How should I be integrating it into my arguments? I'm doing Hamlet
HSC 2018
Advanced English (88) | Maths Ext 1(47) | Chemistry (88) | Earth & Environmental Science (94 - 5th in state) | Geography (89)

ATAR 98.2

theyam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #4172 on: October 16, 2018, 05:18:31 pm »
For mod B, how crucial is context? How should I be integrating it into my arguments? I'm doing Hamlet

Hi,
I'm doing Cloudstreet so the way I'm approaching context is when my composer is deliberately trying to explore the issues from the past. Another way I'm using context is through audience, what is it about the audience's context that makes them react so strongly and value this text so much.
Hope this helps :)
good luck~

Blissisignorance

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4173 on: October 16, 2018, 05:24:57 pm »
Is it true that writing a creative from an animal's point of view is generally not favoured by HSC markers?
Also, is it alright to borrow quotes from known poets like Elliot to use in our creatives?

eliseeeeee_m

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #4174 on: October 16, 2018, 05:59:53 pm »
+2
Is it true that writing a creative from an animal's point of view is generally not favoured by HSC markers?
Also, is it alright to borrow quotes from known poets like Elliot to use in our creatives?

Definitely add quotes from other texts, it counts as intertextuality!!

I am not too sure about the animal's perspective, it should be fine as long as it is written sophisticatedly. I mean just look at George Orwell's Animal Farm.

Good luck :)   
HSC 2018: Advanced English // Extension English I // Modern History // Legal Studies // Drama // Studies of Religion I

Fergus6748

• Trendsetter
  • Never let your memories be greater than your dream
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #4175 on: October 16, 2018, 06:22:14 pm »
Heya, guys. I've been practicing a lot with integrated essays and I've got a bit of a predicament. For Discovery, I study Robert Frost's poems so I have three texts to analyse within the essay. I still want to do integrated essays as it's just easier for me to think about but its generally only for two texts in a paragraph. not sure what to do?? Any thoughts? Thanks
Hsc: Advanced English || Maths Extension 1 || Mathematics || Economics || Chemistry || Physics

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4176 on: October 16, 2018, 07:05:45 pm »
+2
Heya, guys. I've been practicing a lot with integrated essays and I've got a bit of a predicament. For Discovery, I study Robert Frost's poems so I have three texts to analyse within the essay. I still want to do integrated essays as it's just easier for me to think about but its generally only for two texts in a paragraph. not sure what to do?? Any thoughts? Thanks

Hey! Have you tried having a go at an integrated with three poems per paragraph? It isn't much different than doing two - Almost identical I'd say!

Otherwise, you could do something like AB, BC, AC - Where A, B and C are your poems? :)

headsup

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #4177 on: October 16, 2018, 07:12:32 pm »
Definitely add quotes from other texts, it counts as intertextuality!!

I am not too sure about the animal's perspective, it should be fine as long as it is written sophisticatedly. I mean just look at George Orwell's Animal Farm.

Good luck :)   
Agreed!!! Definitely add the quotes. this standards out as sophisticated integration to the marker. just make sure it does not take over your whole creative...

in terms of the animal perspective. def can but make sure it is clear to the reader what is occurring and does not just make them confused. you are always trying to make it easy for the marker to give marks.

ATVB!!
So close to the end!!!!
MY SCHEDULE
18th - English P1
19th - English P2
25th - Mathematics
29th - Modern History
30th - Mathematics extension one
2nd - Business Studies
7th - Economics
9th - D&T
10th - DONE!!!
14th - Turn 18!!
15th - green P's!

talitha_h

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4178 on: October 16, 2018, 08:35:50 pm »
Hi again, I was wondering if anyone could identify a technique in this quote? I haven't been using one in all my practice essays but if anyone has some insight that would be helpful. Thank you!

"They try to resist change. Power comes from becoming change."
This is for AOS btw.
ARTEXPRESS 2019

zanibalh

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4179 on: October 16, 2018, 09:42:45 pm »
Hey guys,
I tried answering the question relating to mango in last years unseen texts section.

Can someone please give me feedback?
Thankyou!

Explain how the poet conveys the delight of discovery. 2
The delight of discovery is portrayed through the persona’s journey whereby through sensory imagery, she hears “boys talking about mangoes”, and is found intrigued when she realises “some have never had one”. The persona continues to visually recount the essence of this delightful discovery through the observance of “the squeeze of a cheek” and the pleasant surprise encountered by an eight year old when the chins are “dripping”. The inconsistencies in language and grammar also showcase the essence of an “eight year old” in writing; portraying a sense of excitement through discovery and thus, reflecting this through continous grammatical errors.

Blissisignorance

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4180 on: October 16, 2018, 10:31:48 pm »
To add to the ever growing list of questions, can anyone tell me what it's meant by "considering your time and place" in the module B Q-
‘Interpretations of texts can shift and change with time and place.’
Considering your time and place, reflect on the ways in which context has shaped your critical interpretation of the prescribed text.

And how do I address the reflect part?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4181 on: October 17, 2018, 12:08:19 am »
+2
"They try to resist change. Power comes from becoming change."

Hey! This is metaphor, you can't actually 'become' change ;D

Hey guys,
I tried answering the question relating to mango in last years unseen texts section.

Can someone please give me feedback?
Thankyou!

Explain how the poet conveys the delight of discovery. 2
The delight of discovery is portrayed through the persona’s journey whereby through sensory imagery, she hears “boys talking about mangoes”, and is found intrigued when she realises “some have never had one”. The persona continues to visually recount the essence of this delightful discovery through the observance of “the squeeze of a cheek” and the pleasant surprise encountered by an eight year old when the chins are “dripping”. The inconsistencies in language and grammar also showcase the essence of an “eight year old” in writing; portraying a sense of excitement through discovery and thus, reflecting this through continous grammatical errors.

I like your analysis but there is a fair bit of retell there! See how you are retelling the text? You could get the marks with way less writing if you ditch that stuff :)

To add to the ever growing list of questions, can anyone tell me what it's meant by "considering your time and place" in the module B Q-
‘Interpretations of texts can shift and change with time and place.’
Considering your time and place, reflect on the ways in which context has shaped your critical interpretation of the prescribed text.

And how do I address the reflect part?

This requires reference to your modern context - How do aspects of our current world influence how you interpret the text? To 'reflect' on the ways just means to include them as part of your argument :)

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #4182 on: October 17, 2018, 01:44:26 am »
What is the possibility of asking for 2 related for mod c!?

horse9996

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #4183 on: October 17, 2018, 08:45:27 am »
What is the possibility of asking for 2 related for mod c!?

very very very unlikely
HSC 2018
Advanced English (88) | Maths Ext 1(47) | Chemistry (88) | Earth & Environmental Science (94 - 5th in state) | Geography (89)

ATAR 98.2

caitlin.micallef

• Adventurer
« Reply #4184 on: October 17, 2018, 09:45:47 am »
Discovery

Hi, I did 4 bodies for my essay in the trials but it didn't work so my tutor suggested:

1) prescribed
2) related
3) prescribed

It's not a 50/50 ratio so i'm not sure if that's the way to go but he's marked HSC responses and reminded me its not so much an essay as it is an extended response since it's only 15 marks. On the other hand, some people said they got marked down (internally) for doing his structure but I probably feel more comfortable doing that than integrated paragraphs.

Is that structure okay or should I consider something else.

Thanks  :D