Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 01:53:00 pm

Author Topic: Journey into Health Sciences  (Read 1424 times)

Maya24

• MOTM: OCT 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +114
Journey into Health Sciences
« on: August 11, 2020, 07:47:23 pm »
+11
So I've decided to start a university journal because I had a year 12 journal and it was interesting to reflect. I also have a lot more time on my hands now.

What am I studying?
I'm a 2nd-year student studying a Bachelor of Health Science in my second semester

Why did I choose this degree?
The simple reason was that my marks were not high enough to get into my course however its been a blessing in disguise as I love my course. Throughout year 12 I had originally wanted to do Bachelor of biomedicine or Bachelor of pharmaceutical science. As the year progressed my goal was a Bachelor of science and that's how I ended up here.

Hows my degree going and a bit about health science?
I love my degree. I get to study what I'm interested about. Health science has 3 main aspects to it. Its got the epidemiology aspect, public health aspect and an anatomy and physiology aspect to it.  I love learning about diseases and disease prevention so this course allowed me to learn about all of these. I enjoyed learning about multiple diseases, their cures and their treatments. I enjoyed just learning basic epidemiology concepts and how research is conducted. The physiology aspect was pretty interesting too. I learned about the different body systems and anatomy.  Then there was the public health aspect which was very similar to HHD in year 12 which I loved.

The way my degree is structured there is no majors or minors. Rather we get 10 electives which we can use to contribute a major or minor if we wished to. This allowed me to study economics which I enjoyed it a lot and got to explore. I had even considered majoring in it at one point.  I'm also studying biology unit which is okay. So this course allowed me to kind of pick and choose what I want to study which is a bonus.

Where to next?
Throughout this course, I'm still in the process of discovering what I like. I would most likely get my masters in something in health/science. My dream is to have a career in the health field.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: Journey into Health Sciences
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 09:42:16 pm »
+6
So nice to see you around on the forum again Maya24! Looking forward to reading your updates as a fellow student in the health science area :D

What are you looking forward to most atm this semester?

Maya24

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 06:33:47 pm »
+6
So nice to see you around on the forum again Maya24! Looking forward to reading your updates as a fellow student in the health science area :D

What are you looking forward to most atm this semester?

I'm looking forward to my subjects this semester. I'm doing a pharmacology unit and an epidemiology unit, both of which align with my interests.

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 03:15:23 pm »
+1
Hey Maya24!

How's Health Sciences and uni in general treating you? :)
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

Maya24

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 09:03:37 pm »
+4
So It's been way too long since I last updated.  Semester 2 went well and I was happy with my Wam. This is my final year and the university has gone quickly.

This semester I'm studying: Physiology, environmental determinants of diseases, Social Behavioral Science and Disease prevention control. I'm looking forward to uni starting soon.