Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 09:01:14 pm

Author Topic: An Anxious Llama's VCE Journey :)  (Read 2544 times)

scientificllama

• Forum Obsessive
  • insert quirky quote
  • Respect: +81
An Anxious Llama's VCE Journey :)
« on: July 29, 2020, 10:27:43 pm »
+12
HELLO AN!
After about a year of lurking through multiple VCE journals, I have finally had the courage to start my own :)
I'm currently in year 11 and am studying the following (and here are some personal ratings of each)

- English (1/10)
- Methods (6/10, math is relaxing)
- Psych (8/10)
- Bio (9/10)
- Chem (7/10)
- HHD (9.5/10)

Besides VCE, I also compete in archery and play viola and violin :)
I also hate self-introductions because I feel egotistic aha.
Ummm... what else do I like?
OH, One direction :-X
happy 10th bday to them!
I'm also a large advocate for mental health & LGBTQ+ rights and have started the school's first GSA club :)

Can't wait to get to know everyone!
2019: 1/2 Psych

2020: English, Bio, Chem, Psych, HHD, Methods

2021: bye bye psych :D

scientificllama

• Forum Obsessive
  • insert quirky quote
Re: An Anxious Llama's VCE Journey :)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 09:23:34 pm »
+5
Term 3 Week 3 Update:

ENGLISH:
We've almost finished The Wife of Martin Guerre woo. Honestly, the novella itself is quite boring and the thematics are quite repetitive. Not really much else is going on in English except for my ever-growing hate for the subject. How do people actually write decent essays? Idk, it feels like whenever I take actually implement my teacher's past comments, she just marks the essay even worse. At least we get to watch a movie next week :)

METHODS:
We have a test next week on domain, range, inverse and composite functions and our teacher brought in lollies which is nice. I also got my first C+ in the class, it doesn't seem like a huge achievement, but my test anxiety flares up the most in methods ( let's not talk about the 8% on exam 1 from last semester, it was a good crying sesh tho.. but I'm generally really happy and knowing that having a separate room is helping. Really hoping for at least a C+ for Friday's test

BIOLOGY:
All we've done in class is watch Karen's not wearing masks :P

CHEMISTRY:
Also really super happy with this class! I finally got my first A for the year and I feel really motivated for unit 2. Tbh I'm pretty sad that the organic chem unit is over. Hands down the best topic. But now I can't look at plastics the same thanks to that ahh. Also, have a test on Monday which I'm stressed about. I understand the naming process and all but the theory of distillation and the bonds between alkanes, alkenes & alkynes won't stick. oh well

3/4 PSYCH:
this class is really freaking me out... I feel that my unit 3 scores are going to drag down my study score. Currently, my goal is for a 38+... also have a research SAC on sleep this week :)

HHD:
unit 2 is just DRY and I'm honestly just scrolling through AtarNotes and Reddit during class but this units upcoming assignment is really fascinating. We basically have to plan and research what it'd be like if we had to live on our own at 18. I'm very tempted to just joke around with the assignment (hey, the teacher said we could have any job we think we'd be hired for) and say make some crap up but nah. Should I?

Question of the Week:
I always feel that I'm thinking about a specific weekly question and felt like adding it to the journal.
This week's question is *drumroll*: Why is the ATAR system so flawed?

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 10:02:59 pm »
+3
Hey, I just had a read of your vce journey and I'm looking forward to continue reading it. Amazing job in chem! I'm also pretty bummed at no more organic chem but acids and bases, and redox reactions are also really fun!
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

scientificllama

• Forum Obsessive
  • insert quirky quote
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 10:36:03 pm »
+4
Hey, I just had a read of your vce journey and I'm looking forward to continue reading it. Amazing job in chem! I'm also pretty bummed at no more organic chem but acids and bases, and redox reactions are also really fun!

Hey there!
Just saw ur journal as well and I can't wait to see how your journal progresses!
oh well, we'll see organic chem next year :)

scientificllama

• Forum Obsessive
  • insert quirky quote
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 08:52:55 pm »
+4
Term 3, Week 4 Update:

hello girls, bois and gender beyond the binary!
I hope everyone's return back to online learning is a bit easier than last time. Tbh though, I really enjoy online learning, get to sleep in and don't have to deal with the noise of school.... and yeah that is all I got. This week I'm going to try and implement a daily schedule to see if that helps with my mental health (as my anxiety has been playing up as of late) and will continue my experiment to see if wearing my school uniform actually helps with retaining information. Now to the boring bit...

ENGLISH:
still hate this subject... this is a short rant but I just hate the whole concept of this subject. Every little thing is over analysed and if you don't analyse it in the "right" way, you're basically going to get a bad mark. Or, so what my teacher has taught me. It feels as if you aren't able to actually express your own ideas and opinions on a novel or movie but rather you have to confine to what assessors and what your teachers wantto see. It's honestly just a game. It also annoys me subjective the marking is and how 2 students could have the same ideas, same evidence and similar writing abilities and yet they won't get the same grade. It's infuriating argh.

METHODS:
We had a test on domain, range and graphs and I think I actually went ok :) fingers crossed I actually pass. Last term... yeah my grades won't good for this subject *cough, cough* UG  but I'm actually studying for this subject. It might not seem like an extensive achievement, but from going to just winging every maths test because I was so anxious and down that I couldn't even open the textbook to actually putting in effort, is pretty great. Apparently calculus is easy? not sure, but can't wait to start the topic

BIOLOGY:
And yet again... another test on the same day as the methods one. The questions were repetitive but my teacher tried to calm me down on teams as I wasn't able to submit my test. Yeah... that was a fun 10mins. Really excited to go back to genetics and DNA :)

CHEMISTRY:
guys.....

🎉I finally passed my first chem test!🎉

I'm so stoked! just need to remember to add the catalysts within the chemical equations :) but after passing, I feel so much more motivation and a returned love for the subject.

PSYCH:
I have my second last SAC tomorrow as I wasn't able to complete last week as I was quite sick but... it's just freaking me out. It's an analytical styled SAC and the 10 marker is terrifying. Just praying for an 80 at least. Otherwise, psych has been great! Our teacher also brought in her new dog to the last day of face-to-face learning and ahhh he is so ADORABLE.

HHD:
last but not least, good ol' health and human. All we have been doing this week is working on our "out of home" assignment (where basically we have to plan out how we are to survive if we were kicked out at 18). It's actually so much fun except when I kept getting random calls. Turns out, a bunch of health insurance companies were trying to reach out to me and it's so awkward to just say, "yeah... funny story, I was using your service for a  school assignment.". At  least the guy Tom on the other line was friendly and helped me out with some of it hehe

Have an amazing week everyone :)

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 09:17:26 pm »
+3
Hey scientificllama!

Props to you for wearing your school uniform at home (team comfy clothes here)! I hope the scheduling goes well. I'm glad you're using those approach strategies!

Congrats on completing your SACs! :)

I do HHD as well, and had to do a task related to private health insurance too. I also got those calls and emails haha!

Have a great week :)
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 08:56:00 am »
+2
Hi scientificllama! I feel you on another level with the anxiety playing up, and I think the best way to get through iso with anxiety is to write your feelings down or talk about it with a loved one. 
It's great to see your passion returning for your subjects and great job on passing those tests  :D
Have a safe and happy week!

w0lfqu33n89

• Trendsetter
  • This is my text until I find another poetic quote
  • Respect: +151
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 06:28:43 pm »
+3
Hey scientificllama!
Just read your journal and we have lot in common! Hope you year 12 class is going okay (Im year 11 as well and do a year 12)!
Cant wait to keep reading along your journey :)

- Lexie

scientificllama

• Forum Obsessive
  • insert quirky quote
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 07:55:22 pm »
+1
Hey scientificllama!

Props to you for wearing your school uniform at home (team comfy clothes here)! I hope the scheduling goes well. I'm glad you're using those approach strategies!

Congrats on completing your SACs! :)

I do HHD as well, and had to do a task related to private health insurance too. I also got those calls and emails haha!

Thank you sm! The calls are still flooding in aha but yeah... the school's sports uniform is surprisingly comfy and warm, and surprisingly it actually helps retain info

scientificllama

• Forum Obsessive
  • insert quirky quote
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2020, 07:57:43 pm »
+2
Hi scientificllama! I feel you on another level with the anxiety playing up, and I think the best way to get through iso with anxiety is to write your feelings down or talk about it with a loved one. 
It's great to see your passion returning for your subjects and great job on passing those tests  :D
Have a safe and happy week!

Hey homeworkisapotato!

Thank you so much for the advice :) it's really  good to see someone who is in a similar boat. It seems everyone can just do tests and BOOM, an A right there. I have talked to my year coordinator and they have now put in place a separate room for me when I do tests and SACS when I get back to school. However, it is kind of weird doing a SAC with the camera on in a channel all by yourself on teams aha

scientificllama

• Forum Obsessive
  • insert quirky quote
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2020, 07:58:39 pm »
Hey scientificllama!
Just read your journal and we have lot in common! Hope you year 12 class is going okay (Im year 11 as well and do a year 12)!
Cant wait to keep reading along your journey :)

- Lexie

Hey there Lexie!

That's amazing! What 3/4 are you doing?
Hope it all goes well :)

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 11:31:17 am »
Hey homeworkisapotato!

Thank you so much for the advice :) it's really  good to see someone who is in a similar boat. It seems everyone can just do tests and BOOM, an A right there. I have talked to my year coordinator and they have now put in place a separate room for me when I do tests and SACS when I get back to school. However, it is kind of weird doing a SAC with the camera on in a channel all by yourself on teams aha
It's great that you've talked to your coordinator and gotten a separate room for yourself! Good luck for future sacs  ;D

scientificllama

• Forum Obsessive
  • insert quirky quote
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2020, 05:06:56 pm »
+5
hello girls, bois and gender beyond the binary!
Tbh... all I have done is make scones, eat them, become sick because I've had too many and repeat.
OH! and just freaking out about my ATAR. I know it isn't the be-all or end-all but it's just knowing that I could do so well however so health things are keeping me back from achieving my goals. Yeah... this is gonna be a little bit of a rant and a little short, so grab some popcorn and lets begin.

ENGLISH::
again.... I hate this subject with a freaking passion. We have a practice essay due this Thursday but we haven't even finished the film. It also feels as if our teacher is spoon-feeding us with ideas instead of students coming up with their own analysis and thoughts of both texts. Kinda goes against English a bit doesn't it? Idk but at least solitaire is keeping me sane during online classes

METHODS:
We had a test on domain, range and graphs and I think I actually went ok :) fingers crossed I actually pass.
yeah... that domain and ranges test from 2 weeks ago? Flunked it.
Spoiler
37% baby!!!!!!

It just feels like with methods, no matter how much work I put in, how much I understand the topic; it never shows in the test. It's just really getting to me and I don't know what to do anymore :/

BIOLOGY:
Nothing really much has happened... had a stem cell test where everyone practically cheated :P 
I would also like to personally thank COVID for cancelling my one excursion for this year. Nice going pal.
But hey, at least we are on to genetics and DNA🎉

CHEMISTRY:
Conversions are messing with my head.
We also have a water analysis test on Friday :)

PSYCH:
Soooo update with my psych teacher's doggo, she named her Karen because of all the dumb Karen's lurking in the stores of Melbourne. We are finally on the mental health unit, yay!
I still haven't checked my score for the last sleep SAC... it's freaking me out and just checking any grade freaks me out. Does anyone else feel this way?

HHD:
Again, just playing solitaire. Only because I finish the work in the first 15mins of class and have nothing to do (except for scrolling on AN but shhh). Next week we'll be moving onto the parenting and babies section. Thing is.... I'm not to Wfond of babies. Never want to have them, and they're ugly. What is so fun about having to change nappies, being sleep deprived, hearing crying all day and basically giving up a part of you (and your money) to make sure this kid doesn't turn out to be a jerk? Yeah... like I said, I really don't like them and apologies if anyone takes offence to it. oops

Happy Studying!

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2020, 06:41:40 pm »
+3
Hey scientificllama! Yay, another update! ;D

Karen's an interesting name to pick given current events! What kind of dog is it?

I feel that for methods (we don't talk about them), bio, chem and psych! I'm excited to start genetics and am scared to check my score for the sleep SAC (are we the same person?!). :o

Not sure if you mentioned it already, but do you have any ideas as to what you want to do after Year 12? :)

If you dislike the parenting side of HHD, 3&4 has nothing on parenting really!

2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

scientificllama

• Forum Obsessive
  • insert quirky quote
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2020, 09:34:33 am »
+2
Hey scientificllama! Yay, another update! ;D

Karen's an interesting name to pick given current events! What kind of dog is it?

I feel that for methods (we don't talk about them), bio, chem and psych! I'm excited to start genetics and am scared to check my score for the sleep SAC (are we the same person?!). :o

Not sure if you mentioned it already, but do you have any ideas as to what you want to do after Year 12? :)

If you dislike the parenting side of HHD, 3&4 has nothing on parenting really!

Ngl... your comment made my morning.

Yeah, it is an especially interesting name for a labrador puppy.
And honestly... yeah, I think we are the same person?! WHAAAA

Thank the lord there is no parenting in 3/4 phew.

In terms of after year 12, I'm really hoping to get into Melbourne Uni's Biomed course :)  definitely not going to get that 95 tho aha...
And hopefully, after that get into Med school and a Master's of Forensic Pathology from Monash. I don't know why, but death just fascinates me.

Hope you have an amazing week also!