Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 01:21:06 pm

Author Topic: Gotta Go Fast - Poet's Running Journal.  (Read 28296 times)

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
Re: Gotta Go Fast - Poet's Running Journal.
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2020, 03:34:32 pm »
+9
Welcome back to my chaneeelllll! Hi! How are ya?

It has officially been more than a week since my last update because I'm actually the laziest person on earth. But I ran 3 times last week and have some updates!

First update: I got a running watch. It's a Garmin Forerunner 220 (handed down by Erutepa's brother) and it's super cool to use. It doesn't have an inbuilt heart rate monitor as it's an older model but it has GPS tracking, lap times, pace records, and automatic Bluetooth syncing with the Garmin Connect app. It makes it a lot easier for me to run on my own and watch my pace as well as look back on the analytics and see how my pace and cadence increases and slows with elevation and distance. Because of this, I'm going to start taking screenshots of my weekly results and putting them in this journal to see improvements, changes, goals reached, etc.

running data and details of yesterday's parkrun
Weekly Summary:
This is the main page I will display in future screenshots. This week, I recorded 4 runs. It should've been 5, however I'm still very new to using the watch and forgot to save my warmup separately to the full 5km run. You can see that throughout the week I ran a total of 11. 2kms. I aimed to do more but I've been feeling nauseous and generally ill (as per usual thanks to my weird body) so didn't push it. Below the graph you can see all 4 recorded runs with the time I ran and how long I ran.

Parkrun Details:
I don't really mind you all seeing where I ran, I literally go from one side of the city to another depending on where training will be convenient. This time it was Darebin. Darebin parkrun is very up and down, with plenty of small rises and drops, and I'm used to more of a flat run with a big hill midway through. My official Parkrun time was 29.30, however these stats and the ones further down will all be viewed with the additional 5 minutes and 740 metres that were my warmup.
You can also see my watch's GPS map tracking. The red line is where I ran. If I hadn't stopped my run in the exact same spot on the map, you would see a pin with a red square in it indicating my run's end.

Listed Details:
Here's my stats laid out! It should be pretty easy to read. "Cadence" basically refers to my running rhythm, how many times my feet hit the ground per minute. I'd imagine it increased as I got tired and my stride shortened. Further down, in the graphs, my cadence goes into blue near the end where I sprint the finish and into red in the spots where I begin to either jog slowly or walk.

Lap Times:
This is my data per km rather than over the entire 5kms. My aim has been to hold a 6min or below pace per km and you can see that my average pace was pulled down in the first km due to my warmup but I managed to keep a sub 6min pace.

Second update (if you didn't read all that running data stuff): So yeah, I ran a 29.30 for my second Parkrun in a row. Darebin Parkrun is one I've never been to as well, so I'm satisfied with giving myself that leeway.

Third update: this COVID-19 boi is really hating on my goal setting. I have no idea if the 7km I signed up for will be able to go ahead. Nevertheless, I seriously need to start training heaps more and so this week I aim on doing an extra long run and a group fast session on Tuesday at the track. I also need to do a strength session but I'm super self conscious about that so I'll try to do it when nobody is home. Praying school isn't cancelled so I can do it tomorrow hehe. :)

ANYWAYS that's all for today, Poet be signing out. Stay healthy, wash your hands, eat your greens, and don't lick the tram handles OK ok
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2020, 05:26:09 pm »
+8
"I'm the laziest person on Earth"
"I ran 3 times last week"

Nice work on persisting with your running!

Good luck for tomorrow :)

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2020, 12:52:48 pm »
+11
"I'm the laziest person on Earth"
"I ran 3 times last week"

Nice work on persisting with your running!

Good luck for tomorrow :)
Haha, I see the irony. Funny how perspective changes depending on who you're with at the time/their performance. And thank you for the well wishes!

OK SO HELLO UM I JUST GOT AN EMAIL SAYING THAT PARKRUN IS CANCELLED INDEFINITELY AND I'M MAD ABOUT IT BUT ALSO IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE BUT GRRRRR
The solution to this problem is to turn up at the same spot at the same time and run the same course - although Parkrun has discouraged this it's not a formal gathering, it's just following my usual training regime... right??? Anyway, despite the official run being cancelled I'll continue training as I was and time myself as well as I can.

It's Wednesday and my legs are sore in a good way! On Monday I did a 20 minute Noodle Workout and yesterday I ran a track session, which means reps. Here are the details:
Spoiler

Notes:
- I managed to separate the warmup, reps and cooldown into 3 runs; the cool down was rushed because we had to get home quickly.
- My average pace INCLUDES my recovery times - my average moving pace is a more accurate measurement.
- My lap times are highlighted in the table to display my track laps. My aim was 2 minutes per 400 metres with a 90 second rest in between reps and that's what I did. I messed up with my watch for the first rest by stopping the run instead of lapping so the timing is off but the rest is fairly accurate. My last two 400m are faster because I increased my pace for the last 100m as a final push.
- Pace decreased in the middle of every lap due to a headwind but increased again as I got a tailwind down the final strait.
- Pace and cadence increased drastically in the final 100m due to my sprint effort.

All in all I'm quite proud of this session and will be doing another fast session on Thursday before running a 5km on Saturday. A special thanks to Erutepa is in order here for being my pacer and coach for the last while in his off season love you bb. There's another couple of weeks before the winter season begins and if I continue the consistent training, it looks like I might be ready to actually compete if events begin running again after COVID-19!!

ALSO, today I also asked Erutepa's coach to officially act as my coach and he said yes!!! This is a pretty big thing for me and I'll see him on Thursday to talk more about it. Genuinely thrilled he's taking me in.

That's all for now, see you all Saturday/Sunday depending on when I decide to update. ILY bbs <333

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2020, 05:40:53 pm »
+13
Hello.

I apologise for leaving this so long. It’s been almost an entire month since my last update, and I need to start this up again. It’s going to be a big one.

Please forgive me for abandoning this for so long. I didn’t think I would be alive to continue it, so the past… three weeks have consisted of me picking up the pieces I lost and finding my rhythm again.

So, without further ado, let’s get into it.

In my last entry, I mentioned that Erutepa’s coach had adopted me. That process continued regardless of my situation and so now every Sunday I receive a training plan entailing what sessions/runs I should be following that week, along with encouragements from that angel of a coach. I was in hospital for about a week and a half before being transferred to the home I’m at now, so didn’t run at all in that time. Whilst I’ve been here, however, I’ve picked up training and have recorded everything I’ve done save for 2 workouts I did whilst in hospital. Below are dated recordings and analyses of what I’ve done before I expand on what I’ve done in the past few days/what the plan is for this week!

a large goddamn archive, open at your own risk :))
19th March 2020 - track reps
Summary: 5.66kms (including warmup and cooldown) in a 45 minute track session, 200m x 10.
stats and details

27th March 2020 - strength session
1st April 2020 - run/walk session
  Summary: 3.7km. See first image. 30 minute alternating run/walk.
stats and details

2nd April 2020 - slow session
5th April 2020 - run/walk session
Summary: 5km run/walk effort with running points at sub 6 minute pace. High headwinds.
stats and details

6th April 2020 - strength session
7th April 2020 - reps session
Summary: 5.22km (including warmup and cooldown) intensity session. Reps of 8 x 1 minute efforts with one minute walking recovery.
stats and details

8th April 2020 - strength session
9th April 2020 - reps session
Summary: 4.6km (including warmup and cooldown) intensity session. 2 x 5 minute efforts. Cut short by sickness.
stats and details

11th April 2020 - 5km race
Summary: 6.6kms (including warmup and cooldown). Race effort timed to 31.39 for 5kms.
stats and details

12th April 2020 - easy long session
Summary: 6km slow run completed at 43:18. 7:13/km average.
stats and details

13th April 2020 - strength session

Today I was meant to do a rep session of 1 minute on/1 minute off, as I did last Tuesday. However, I didn't sleep last night and have been sick with a horrid headache all day and so am changing the rep session to tomorrow, where I would have done another strength session. Might do both if I'm feeling well.

The rest of my week is as follows:
Thursday - 3 x 5 minute efforts with 1-2 minute rest walk/shuffle in between
Friday - rest
Saturday - 2 x 10 minute efforts at 6:30 pace with 2 minute rest in between
Sunday - 40-45 minute easy run.

That's it! I should update my food journal too; I haven't been eating as much as I should and feel as if I've lost even more weight. This entry took me two days to write so I hope at least someone decides my analytics are a good time sink!!!!

Thanks, AN. I'll update on Sunday. Every Sunday and Wednesday from now on, if I can. :)

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2020, 05:37:01 pm »
+13
Hi again!

It's been a long recovery process (my last post was in April, oh no) but I'm back at it, this time on a lot more meds :)) no really I had another increase today and I'm higghhh suss my new eyebrow slitttt

Running hasn't been much of a part of my life for about 6 weeks now. I developed a sore right knee that was exacerbated when I ran, so have spent the last 6 weeks or so in physiotherapy for palettofemoral pain syndrome and ITB friction. For a month I was able to meet Erutepa and cycle together, but now in the new lockdown I've been unable to travel cross-city for exercise. The good news is that after rest and strength and conditioning work with the physio, I should be back to running twice a week next week!! No intensity sessions, only short technical work at the moment. But it's going to help me get back on that horse in time for Athletics Victoria comps next year, which - just by the way - I'm planning on going into as a registered athlete. Woohoo!

I've decided I don't need to go too far in depth in this blog so I'm going to make it easier for myself and cut the analytics. Here's the plan for the week ahead:

Sunday: S&C work
Monday: Physio appointment, refining running plan
Tuesday: Walk/jog (?)
Wednesday: Pilates
Thursday: Run (?)
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Rest (?)

That's all folks, I'll do my best to get back to this within a reasonable time-frame and not the gestation period of a leopard (92-95 days). Stay safe, wear a mask, eat pie if you want to. <3

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2020, 06:01:52 pm »
+8
Yay Poet!! That's great!! I enjoy reading your updates  ;D

AHH that's exciting about entering the athletic comps!!

Pie 😍

Good luck with this week's exercise! 💙
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2020, 03:30:53 pm »
+12
Hello! Woohoo, let's get a real quick reply in before I forget I need to do this :,)

The last week or so, I was a little lazy. I didn't do my full S&C sessions like I should've so I'll definitely be on that till the next update. On Tuesday, I went on my first proper run in quite a while! It was a gentle session and I went less than 3kms, but it was very exciting to be able to do it without any pain. And yesterday I did Pilates and felt a bit more in control of my body and balance.

Today after class (cuz I'm a STUDENT again 0w0) I'll be doing another walk/jog around the footy oval with some strides. Technical work is boring but it's still getting me back outdoors and into real life rather than being stuck in the weird bubble that is self-isolation. And the last few days have been beautiful and sunny!

What I'll be doing for the next week:
Thursday: Run 400m/walk 100m with strides x 6
Saturday: S&C
Sunday: Rest or run/walk if you feel like it
Monday: S&C
Tuesday: Run

Stay sexy, kids, and remember that you CAN teach an old dog new tricks - it just takes time and patience.

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2020, 04:21:40 pm »
+10
Back at it again, hey friends.

So uh RIP my schedule for this week; bad mental health + waiting 5 days for unexpected COVID test results = not much exercise. I did go to Pilates yesterday (it's clinical pilates, so it's like a doctor's appointment and exempt under Stage 4 restrictions) and I did do my strength and conditioning sesh on Tuesday, but other than that I was locked up at home from Friday afternoon being a sad potato. Now that I'm negative, however, I'll be running a few strides before trying for a couple 1km ((gentle!!)) efforts tonight. Still focusing on widening and shortening my stride so I don't overstep and re-injure myself.

Here's our weekly schedule:
Thursday: 6 x strides then 1km effort at 7:00 pace, rest for 30sec, repeat.
Saturday: S&C
Sunday: Run/walk optional
Tuesday: Run (3km continuous at 7:00-7:30 pace if feeling good)

Let's see if I can stick to it this time; I need a live-in coach to yell at me :((

Love all you beans and legumes <3

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2020, 06:08:56 pm »
+10
I think this is the first week since I've been back that I actually mostly followed my plan! The only amendments I'd make is that I was feeling pretty yuck after class last Thursday so ran 800m reps instead of 1km - and today's Pilates session was done over Zoom, and will be for the next month or so till stage 4 is lifted, due to amendments to physiotherapy/clinical exercise engagements. My instructor is still as accommodating as possible and has let me borrow another band and a slide board to use at home for free, so my session today was still good even in the absence of a reformer. And this week I'm back on coach's schedule!! So I'll most likely update Sunday evening when he send out the weekly planner.

Thursday: 10 x 1min reps, 1 min rest with small w/u and c/d
Saturday/Sunday: 30-45 min gentle run
Monday: ?
Tuesday: ?

That's all! I wonder what's for dinner?

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2020, 01:46:39 pm »
+11
Henlo frens :3

I'm back with an updated weekly schedule! My confession from last week's regime is the absence of a run on Saturday or Sunday. On Saturday, I put it off till Sunday, and then on Sunday I lost my running watch and in the process of looking for it literally moved my entire room till realising that it was under my pillow the whole time. And by move my entire room, I mean it. Woke up this morning in a new room! Interesting.

Alright, my schedule for this week is:
Tuesday: 4x2min, 4x1min w/ 1min walk
Thursday: 10x1min w/ 1min shuffle/walk
Friday: rest
Saturday/Sunday: 30-45min gentle run/walk

So today it looks like I'll be doing some extra ab work because I've just started getting my definition back (after a brief period of rehab flab) and it feels good to have a solid core. Still a big focus on the use of hips and glutes and keeping good control through the knee. It was a little bit sore last night, I'd imagine because I was carrying heavy furniture around for about 6 hours. But I'll feel it out.

Hope you're all doing well - get outside for a walk, do some jumping jacks, dance around the room to your favourite upbeat song. Shoulders back, stretch, breathe.

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2020, 09:02:30 pm »
+14
Naw beans I put this off for a month again - at least the 30 day warning hasn't reared its ugly head this time!!!

HELLO I HAVE SOME NEWS

I've been training an average of twice per week whilst juggling school work, procrastination, chronic nausea, and a poop-tonne of Nothing Else. Obviously my aim is 3 runs per week but 2 has been pretty good considering my terribly ill state the past month.
BUT THAT'S BESIDES THE POINT

THE POINT IS
I did a 5km time trial on Saturday and finished it in 30:59 - that's 44 seconds faster than my April trial - after literal months of not running due to injury. I'm super happy with that time and very surprised I got there considering my lack of practice. My fastest ever 5km is a little over 2 minutes quicker and I never expected to be this close. Better thank my physio for keeping me in shape!!

I've also noticed the following changes:
~ my running cadence has increased to average just below 170bpm, which indicates an improvement in my over-striding issue
~ My steps are 1000 times more even, which displays a distinct increase in hip and ankle strength
~ My knees don't hurt at all anymore, even after a tough effort
~ My cardiovascular fitness is my limiting factor now rather than my leg strength.

It feels really good to get back in to it, especially since my mental health has been in a bit of a pit lately. Running helps. (Thanks endorphins). This week is full of assessment work for my course but I'll give myself decent breaks for my plan:

Monday (today): Rest (did some S&C yesterday)
Tuesday: 4 x 2min run/2 min walk rests, 4 x 1min run/1min walk rests
Thursday: 8 x 1min run w/ 1min walk/shuffle rests
Saturday: 50-60min cruise, include walks
Sunday: get out for a walk, do some stretching

That's it for this time - a challenge for the reader: let's get groovy and do some yoga work this week howboutdat

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2020, 09:04:41 pm »
+4
Good job! I would give you a thumbs-up emoji but there isn't one on AN as far as I know :P
 :D ;D Great running! :D
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2020, 09:08:41 am »
+5
Congrats Poet, that's fantastic!

Good job! I would give you a thumbs-up emoji but there isn't one on AN as far as I know :P
 :D ;D Great running! :D

type "emoji106" in [ ]

Edit: yeah, like that :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 09:18:43 am by Bri MT »

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2020, 09:15:02 am »
Like that?
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2020, 08:23:15 pm »
+9
Hello my dearest dumplings,

I hope you've been well today and gotten up to stretch and maaayybe did some yoga like I challenged? I did a couple sessions during the week and stretching out hurts a little but it's good for a tight-muscled idiot like me.

A review of the last week:
I wouldn't say this week was 100% - because it wasn't - but it was a decent week. I did every session in my plan which is neato (especially my BIG BOI SATURDAY EFFORT BECAUSE I WAS SICK AS A DOG) and I'm hoping I can keep up my streak this week! Oh, I did shorten my Tuesday session to 3x both, but I still got out and did it and that's what matters.

I'm feeling pretty sick tonight so let's hope I can sleep it off. So. A plan.

Monday: S&C session, stretching
Tuesday: 8-10 x 2min run w/ 1min walk/shuffle
Thursday: 10-12 x 1min run w/ 1min walk/shuffle
Saturday: 50-60min cruise, include walks
Sunday: get out for a walk, do some stretching

And that's it - see you on next week's episode :)) <3