Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 04:02:03 pm

Poll

What Is Your Favourite Chocolate Brand?

Cadbury
Lindt
Whittakers
Hahndorf's
Haigh's chocolates
Other
KoKo Black

Author Topic: Geoo's VCE Journey  (Read 79706 times)

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
Re: Geoo's VCE Journey
« Reply #255 on: August 12, 2020, 06:10:33 pm »
+10
Update - 12/08/2020 - What Even is VCE?

Hello again, after taking a bit of a break, I am here to update you on almost nothing, ah, not much has happened.  Now I haven't been going the best lately, but I'm going to try steer this update in a more positive direction. However, I know myself, and there may be a slip up here and there when I finish the update, but that's for future me to think about. Be prepared for a bit of a boring update!

So.... I made a VTAC account, wow look at me being productive like the rest of the state. I really didn't intend for that to come of as sarcastic as it did, but oh well. Now that I have done that, I am kind of all over the place in what I want to do. I have ideas of the backups I want, those are the easy parts, but my top 4 is something that is taking me a little time. I have come to the realisation that I probably won't be getting a 25 in methods...... I know my SAC score was pretty good, but once again i'm really struggling with the subject, but more on that later. So that means BSci at UniMelb may be out of reach for me sadly. I'll still be putting it in my preference list relatively high up, but i'm no longer confident I can get into the bachelor. The other three courses that have peaked my interest, BSci at monash (no methods woohoo), BSci in Food Technology/Busman RMIT and Pharmaceutical science monash (also a 25 methods requirement so not sure). All of these are in my top, but i'm not sure what order to put them in. It's been hard going back and forth into what I want to do, but i'm sure I'll just make my preference soon, and I have a feeling BSci is at the top due to flexibility.

In terms of, what does Geoo want to do with her life, i'm not sure, but I have a few directions i'm looking at. As you can tell by my course at RMIT, i'm seriously considering becoming a food technologist/chemist. I have always loved food, the production, the science you name it, so I think it could be an interesting career. However, I could to a BSci and fit prereqs to do a masters in food science instead, to leave myself open to more flexibility, because at the end on of the day, i'm not quite sure.... plus I really want to do some of the majors at uni in the BSci. Oh also, Unimelb BSci has a food science major, so that is something that interests me as well! But yeah, it's a bit of a topsey turvy game of what i'm thinking of doing, i'll hopefully choose soon, as there are really alot of areas i'm interested in, but at least they are all science based. (Pharmsci looks awesome as well...... but also the campus is far away :(, then again so is RMIT and Unimelb.....) 
On a quick note, the majors I am interested in, chemistry (duh), biochem, immunology, pathology, microbio (can someone tell me the difference between micro and molecular bio?), food science and potentially geology (not super interested in this, but I wouldn't mind taking a class in it to see if I like it). An important part that I want the option of is to learn a language in uni, preferably mandarin, Spanish or Russian (maybe french?), so that is something that I look at when choosing what i'd like to do as well. So many options...

Also, i'm thinking of potentially taking a gap year, not sure if I want to yet, but I've come to realise that for years, all I have done is study without much rest for my health condition, and I think finally taking some time off without the looming idea that i'll have to work hard again may be good for me. I'm also so burnt out, and with the covid situation, I can't imagine doing a science degree without labs....

English
I'm bored. The movie was like like a house on fire, technically great in all the literature/arts boxes, but I couldn't get into it, I was bored out of my mind. It was Charlie's Country btw. See, I feel like i'm already going down negative lane... opps. Other than that, pretty happy with how my "not really an oral SAC" turned out, i'm quite pleased with the layout and how I displayed my plans for an argument, now it's just up to my teachers.

Food Studies
Going into GMO's this week which is really interesting, as that's what my report will be about, so i'm looking forward to it. Not much to report on this subject, i'm a little scared of the workload, and i've had to postpone some practical activities for health reasons but it's going okay. For my practical activity last week, I had to make a meal using left overs to avoid food waste, and I ended up finding a wicked recipe for banana oat pancakes, they were awesome! They may become a staple breakfast item...

Methods
Lets not go there, I cried too much over this subject. I'm 4 weeks behind, a SAC next week and I struggle doing sums..

Chemistry
I have a SAC tomorrow, it's kind of an odd one, doing a part of it as an online lesson watching videos of reactions, and then doing an online SAC right after. I'm not looking forward to it, as I haven't studied that much for it, but i'm looking forward to getting it out of the way.

Wow, I think that was one of the shortest updates I gave for my subjects... Anyway, that about covers where i'm at, as I said not much going on right now outside of the regular SACs and VCE, so that's it from me. Hope everyone reading is doing okay in quarantine, and good luck with the online study! I just reread the update and wow that was all over the place, this update was kind of a word vomit of everything, so hopefully everyone got through that unscathed!
Hey Geoo!  ;D
Aww, hope you feel better soon. Demotivation is plaguing me as well and it's honestly so annoying because we can never get work done...hope you get your motivation back soon. There's not long to go for exams (3 months, what?!), so hang in there. Same feels here. When I'm behind in maths, I find it so hard to catch up with all the exercises. Good luck with the methods sac! Hopefully VCAA can do something about that and help you, but yeah the virus is spreading so quickly and it's so scary. I'm hoping that it gets better but at the rate things are going, that's looking very unlikely.  :(

Have a great weekend too!
So sorry for taking so long to reply, thank you for you kind words, i'm still not feeling amazing but i'm getting there. Yes, if motivation was a commodity, i'd buy it in bulk. I hope you are finding your motivation at the moment, and I can't believe there is only 3 months to go it's crazy! Good thing the GAT got moved :) It does feel mountainess when it comes to catching up on all those maths sums, thanks for the good luck, and best of luck wit your studies as well!

Hi Geoo! You probably don't remember me but I used to chat with you on this journal earlier on. I've finally caught up now and it's been such an interesting read. I look forward to reading more updates!Bahahaha I'm doing Tracks as well. Personally I think the first 100 pages are a bit dry but it picks up when she leaves for her trip. Are you doing Into the Wild for the movie?
I totally remember you! I was always wondering where you went but I saw you around the forms from time to time, so it's nice to hear from you again! I'm glad you have enjoyed my journal, it's a bit wonky in some areas but it's always nice to know others are reading along! It's awesome that you have started your own journal as well. I guess I can only hope it gets better, because pushing past those pages is ridiculously hard to do! I like the writing style, but the plot is very bland, so i'm hoping it does pick up. I'm not doing Into the Wild, which does look pretty decent for a VCE movie, but I am doing Charlie's Country, which is okay plot wise. It's nice hearing from you again :)
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #256 on: August 12, 2020, 08:18:55 pm »
+6
microbio (can someone tell me the difference between micro and molecular bio?)
Microbiology is more towards your study of viruses, bacteria, fungi and so forth, while molecular biology is more like genetics, biochemical pathways and the molecular processes within/ between cells. (Wikipedia, surprisingly, does an OK job of describing these.)
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #257 on: August 13, 2020, 10:50:56 am »
+1
I totally remember you! I was always wondering where you went but I saw you around the forms from time to time, so it's nice to hear from you again! I'm glad you have enjoyed my journal, it's a bit wonky in some areas but it's always nice to know others are reading along! It's awesome that you have started your own journal as well. I guess I can only hope it gets better, because pushing past those pages is ridiculously hard to do! I like the writing style, but the plot is very bland, so i'm hoping it does pick up. I'm not doing Into the Wild, which does look pretty decent for a VCE movie, but I am doing Charlie's Country, which is okay plot wise. It's nice hearing from you again :)
Ahahaha don't worry it does get better (only by a small bit tho)
Food science sounds very interesting! What careers are you interested in with a Food Science degree?
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #258 on: August 22, 2020, 05:14:10 pm »
+7
Update - 22/08/2020 - Can Someone Give Me Their Energy and Motivation Please?

I feel like i've been run over by a train a few times, then crushed by a bus, followed up by being run over by a car. Wow, that was dramatic. In all seriousness, I have never been so tired in my life. I'm a dead boned exhausted, and want to take an eternal nap for a few years. I'm barely getting anything done, i'm sleeping more, and my chocolate supplies are running low. I believe the reason why i'm so exhausted is just because of two things; a, my chem SAC of eternity wiped me out, and b, i've been prioritising school work over health and it's finally caught up to me. If there is anyone reading from the future, don't do what I did! So, yay me. Anyway there is my little negative section, i'll move onto other things and keep this update as short as I can. Because i'll just go on, and on, and on....

English
I have good news everyone! please get the reference I ended up with an 8/10 for my oral plan thingy..... YAY! I'm so over the moon, finally another 80%! (B+). It just sets me in a good mood for the rest of the english unit 4, which there is only one more to go! It is a while away, being next term, but its just sets the mood compared to unit 3! One minor negative note, still haven't read the book, which I really need to do as we start on the book next week......

Food Studies
Currently in the middle of a SAC which is two parts. Part 1 is this/last week, doing the report part on GMO's! It has been surprisingly more difficult than I first thought, mainly because of how hard it is to find Australian information on GMO's in relation to food insecurity and climate change. So yeah, very research/time intensive. Part 2 is next week, making a meal for a meat free Monday with some theory tested.

Spoiler
So one thing that has kind of put me in a sour mood for this subject is on what my teacher said. I shared with her my aspirations for my study score, being 45+, however she had to break the sad news to me that she has never had anyone get over 40 with this study design. She had one student last year who had perfect SACs scores, an A+ on the exam and ended up with a 39. It's a little discouraging, lets just hope I can break the pattern :) She also did say that she has always been spot on with her study score predictions, so lets hope I can beat her expectations as well.

Methods
Still behind....... there is a SAC, it's scary, but I have an extension!

Chemistry
Spoiler
I don't want this update to be too negative but just like all my other chem SACs at this point, of course I have to rant about it! It was 4 HOURS LONG! I almost died and i'm still recovering! Okay..... i'll take you back to part 1.
Part One It was in the form of an online lesson, where we watched videos of experiments and record observations, inferences and equations. It all kind of went wrong with audio issues, video buffering and so much lag. The teachers wanted detail with this so it was taking a bit of time, especially when some videos had experiments we did not need to know, so we had to interpret what we needed to write down. These videos were from youtube btw, so we ended up watching them on the side because they wouldn't work. The worse part was the teachers kind of kept insulting us, telling the class that we were worse than last years, and that we were in the wrong for getting confused with what to do. Oh, it also includes them saying we were taking too long, being a disappointing/worrying class. Anyway, it got dragged out for 4 hours of hell. Now, with a fatigue condition, you can imagine I was screwed. Anyway, after that I napped for about 5 hours and i'm still very fatigued to this day. Oh and in the end, after 4 hours, they said they didn't want alot of detail, just dot points......facepalm*sigh*
Part Two Next day, had a 75 min test based on the results from yesterday which wasn't as painful. However, since I was dead tired, I blanked during the entire thing, and was pulling theory from somewhere other than my brain. I have ended up not feeling that confident on my score, and i buried my chem dreams earlier this week. So for now, rant over. :)
Microbiology is more towards your study of viruses, bacteria, fungi and so forth, while molecular biology is more like genetics, biochemical pathways and the molecular processes within/ between cells. (Wikipedia, surprisingly, does an OK job of describing these.)
Thank you! I always get them mixed up, and I found that when I did look I got to overloaded with info, so thanks for simplifying!
Ahahaha don't worry it does get better (only by a small bit tho)
Food science sounds very interesting! What careers are you interested in with a Food Science degree?
Mainly working in the food industry, whether that be a food technologist, food safety, regulation, management, food marketing, and product development. It really is so versatile, and combines my love of food, chem and bio in one perfect mix! So yes it is super exciting!

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #259 on: August 23, 2020, 07:50:22 am »
+2
Yay, another Geoo update!  ;D
Amazing job in English, you should definitely be proud of yourself!
I'm really sorry that your Chem teachers said that. They definitely shouldn't be telling your cohort that they're worse than last year's cohort. Don't lose hope in Chem because VCAA will moderate your scores individually based on your circumstances and past marks. We have no idea how sacs are being used this year so there is still hope!
With Food Studies I know it sounds a little hopeless but there are rural kids who get 99 ATARs when their school median is like 80 so nothing is impossible! You got this, especially with your overflowing passion for Food Studies and your career (which is super awesome!).

Edit: just realised I sounded like i was putting down rural kids. I was not. I was referring to this article:
https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/we-re-in-a-bubble-country-kids-left-behind-as-education-gap-widens-20190611-p51wfm.html
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 07:55:36 am by homeworkisapotato »

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #260 on: August 23, 2020, 10:36:36 am »
+5
Hey Geoo!
I love love love your updates and CONGRATS ON YOUR FREAKING AWESOME ENGLISH SCORE! I haven't finished my novel yet (and my sac is in 2 weeks) so you're doing better than me at this rate!! I really really really can't wait for you to surpass your food studies teachers expectations, you are so freaking dedicated!!
Eat a vegetable and take some deep breaths, there's only like 3 months left! You can do this, the finish line is so close!
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #261 on: August 27, 2020, 06:15:44 pm »
+5
Yay, another Geoo update!  ;D
Amazing job in English, you should definitely be proud of yourself!
I'm really sorry that your Chem teachers said that. They definitely shouldn't be telling your cohort that they're worse than last year's cohort. Don't lose hope in Chem because VCAA will moderate your scores individually based on your circumstances and past marks. We have no idea how sacs are being used this year so there is still hope!
With Food Studies I know it sounds a little hopeless but there are rural kids who get 99 ATARs when their school median is like 80 so nothing is impossible! You got this, especially with your overflowing passion for Food Studies and your career (which is super awesome!).

Edit: just realised I sounded like i was putting down rural kids. I was not. I was referring to this article:
https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/we-re-in-a-bubble-country-kids-left-behind-as-education-gap-widens-20190611-p51wfm.html
Hehe thank you, you're so sweet! I did celebrate that english mark with on of my favourite chocolates from my local chocolate shop, it was so great to finally get out of the house lol.
It's a bummer with what happened with chem, but hopefully you're right with the moderating, it;s been the craziest subject I've ever had.
Aww your so kind! Super uplifting, and such a great reminder. It's interesting, my school isn't rural even though there are many rural kids, but I think my school average is like 27? So its time to bust out of those expectations!

Hey Geoo!
I love love love your updates and CONGRATS ON YOUR FREAKING AWESOME ENGLISH SCORE! I haven't finished my novel yet (and my sac is in 2 weeks) so you're doing better than me at this rate!! I really really really can't wait for you to surpass your food studies teachers expectations, you are so freaking dedicated!!
Eat a vegetable and take some deep breaths, there's only like 3 months left! You can do this, the finish line is so close!
Hey J,
That's means so much to me that you enjoy my updates, even though they can be a bit on the negative side, i'm glad you get something out of them :). Haha it looks like we share the same english book procrastination gene! Good luck, i'm sure you'll read it in time, it's hard because there are so many other books on my bookshelf that call my name.....Thanks you for kind words, I celebrated the hell out of the english mark, so maybe it's time I go eat some veggies instead of chocolate. But yes, I can't believe how close we're getting, not long to go!

Mini Update
I might write something longer later in the week but for now, I just wanted to say i'm feeling a bit better. :) I got part 1 of my food SAC in, and I managed to catch up with 2 out of the 4 weeks of methods, so i'm on tract with doing my SAC next week. Till next time!
Spoiler
I also binged watched Star Wars the Clone Wars Season 7, and woah, those last four episodes were amazing. So sad to see the series come to an end, but it was worth the 5 year wait!

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #262 on: August 27, 2020, 08:29:49 pm »
Hehe thank you, you're so sweet! I did celebrate that english mark with on of my favourite chocolates from my local chocolate shop, it was so great to finally get out of the house lol.
Oh, I love local chocolate shops! Too bad I can't find any near me...
what chocolates did you buy?
 All the best with your methods sac!!

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #263 on: September 01, 2020, 04:59:07 pm »
+6
Update - 01/09/2020 - 86 Days Till I'm Free

Hey Everyone! I thought it was time for me to make another update. I find it funny when looking back at my earlier year 11 updates how they were mainly on the shorter side, and I use to post always on Friday.... now look at me. Anyway, in not so shocking news, i'm still tired unfortunately and there's not much I can do about it, but I'm trying to keep pushing through knowing that there is only 86 days till I finish my VCE! Wow it has gone quickly! There is only 70 days till my english exam too which is quite frightening to say the least. I may do a bit more of a deep dive into some of my feelings on part 2 of 2020 later on, but for now I'd give it a solid 4/10.

I attending the monash open day on the weekend, and while I thought it was okay, i'm still left feeling at a loss over not doing it in person. I could feel the bias so strongly it was hilarious! However, I was able to speak to some family friends, we're one goes to uniMelb and the other monash and they were able to give me a little less bias than some of the pre written speeches the monash open day students did. So for right now, i'm leaning more towards BSci at unimelb.... because it has a food science major :). However, Monash is closer being 50 mins away, compared to Melb which is 1:30 mins away. I like both unis for what they offer, but the only thing the i'm still not sure of, is the Melbourne model.... I don't know how I feel on having to do a masters after my bacholer, i'd be scared of being over educated with no job experience :/. So I still have to sort some things out when it comes to uni, but after the UniMelb open day this weekend, i'll be putting in my VTAC applications!

English
Keeping it simple... i'm 20% through the book, have half an idea of whats going on, very bored, and want to read the long way to a small angry planet instead. Also, i'm a week behind because I haven't finished the book,  but that's for future me to worry about!

Chemistry
I managed to catch up and do weeks 5 and 6 last week which was great, and so I need to find time to get weeks 7 and  8 done this week to make sure i'm back up to date. I'm looking forward to getting analytical chem out of the way so I get to my love of food chem ahhh!!! So excited! I must admit I feel as if my school is a little behind with chem, as we will be finishing content mid October... So I will need to finish content on my own in the holidays to make sure I have time to do practice SACs.

Methods
Some advice, Fatigue + numbers = not a good time/idea. Seriously, it just doesn't compute into my brain when i'm tired. I have my SAC this week and it's not looking great as i'm still a week behind and my brain doesn't work. Anyway on a side note, I don't like probability and it doesn't like me. Also the SAC is on theme parks.... which is a better theme than a wedding!

Foods Studies
To end this update on a high note, my written report mark came back in this morning, and wow did I not expect that. What I thought I wrote, was absolute garbage. I thought it was essentially a fluffy english essay disguised as a science report. But somehow, and I don't know how, I ended up with 60/60. I was lost for words when I saw that one. My mouth reached the floor, was essentially how shocked I was. Anyway, part 2 of the SAC was last week, but due to my health i'm doing it this week! Meat free monday is the theme, and I need to go start looking at recipes.

Oh, I love local chocolate shops! Too bad I can't find any near me...
what chocolates did you buy?
 All the best with your methods sac!!
They are a rare find nowadays! I love passion fruit chocolates so much, especially when done right. They can be a hint of passion fruit with most ones i've tried, but my local chocolate store does them so strong, so you actually get flavour out of them which is amazing. I also love a good hazelnut, berry, freckle and pistachio. What chocolate do you enjoy?

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #264 on: September 01, 2020, 05:06:51 pm »
+6
Hey Geoo  ;D
OMG AMAZING JOB ON THAT 60/60, my jaw dropped wowowowow. I'm so proud, keep rocking!
Great job on catching up with Chem, I'm still trying to find time to do that ahaha. Keep pumping through English, you only have 70 days of reading books and writing essays on them  :)

I love caramel, pistacchio, a little bit of citrus zing sometimes, and once I tried rum and I really liked it hehe
Keep powering through you've got this!

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #265 on: September 02, 2020, 10:26:52 pm »
+6
Hey Geoo  ;D
OMG AMAZING JOB ON THAT 60/60, my jaw dropped wowowowow. I'm so proud, keep rocking!
Great job on catching up with Chem, I'm still trying to find time to do that ahaha. Keep pumping through English, you only have 70 days of reading books and writing essays on them  :)

I love caramel, pistacchio, a little bit of citrus zing sometimes, and once I tried rum and I really liked it hehe
Keep powering through you've got this!
Aww thank you! I know the feeling, it's just chugging away at chem, slowly but surely scratching the surface of all that content! I know you'll catch up too! I can't believe I forgot about caramel, it is really such a great flavour. I must say I do prefer normal caramel over salted caramel though! Have a great week!

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #266 on: September 03, 2020, 06:13:16 pm »
+8
Mundane Mini Update

My poor car has been under constant torment from birds and spiders! I have had it for two months now, and it has been shat on 10 times! What do the birds have against me..... are they plotting something. To this day, I have found 5 spiders, which whilst tiny, are still in my car. Are the birds and spiders working together? Is this a plot to make me move my car? I don't know, but this war isn't over!!!!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 10:46:11 pm by Geoo »

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #267 on: September 04, 2020, 01:00:02 pm »
+3
Aww thank you! I know the feeling, it's just chugging away at chem, slowly but surely scratching the surface of all that content! I know you'll catch up too! I can't believe I forgot about caramel, it is really such a great flavour. I must say I do prefer normal caramel over salted caramel though! Have a great week!
I finally caught up, thank god! SAME! Salted caramel is kinda nice but in chocolate you kind of get sick of it quickly.

Mundane Mini Update

My poor car has been under constant torment from birds and spiders! I have had it for two months now, and it has been shat on 10 times! What do the birds have against me..... are they plotting something. To this day, I have found 5 spiders, which whilst tiny, are still in my car. Are the birds and spiders working together? Is this a plot to make me move my car? I don't know, but this war isn't over!!!!
BAHAHAHA is there a name for this war? All the best, I know you can defeat them. But seriously, I think it would be a good idea if you take some insect repellent or something with you in the car. I can't imagine what I would do if I was driving and a large Huntsman climbed up my arm!

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #268 on: September 04, 2020, 03:15:00 pm »
+1
I can't imagine what I would do if I was driving and a large Huntsman climbed up my arm!
Scream, desperately shake it off, and crash the car in the process? :P
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #269 on: September 04, 2020, 04:41:15 pm »
+1
Mundane Mini Update

I have had it for two months now, and it has been shat on 10 times!

Mostly when parked, or when you've been driving?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.