Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 04:36:13 pm

Poll

What Is Your Favourite Chocolate Brand?

Cadbury
Lindt
Whittakers
Hahndorf's
Haigh's chocolates
Other
KoKo Black

Author Topic: Geoo's VCE Journey  (Read 79706 times)

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
Geoo's VCE Journey
« on: April 26, 2019, 10:37:33 pm »
+14
Click Here For My Year 12 Adventure!

Hello fellow AN readers! Geoo here.
I really enjoy reading other peoples journals and how it motivates me. So i thought i'd do my own! I know this is a bit late into the year! But i though hey why not. It would be kinda cool to come back and revisit the road i had to graduate, and my VCE.
I'm currently in year 11 doing one 3/4 subject.

Current Subjects
1/2 Chemistry (aiming for a 40+)
1/2 English (aiming for over 30)
1/2 Maths Methods (aiming for 25+)
1/2 Physics (probably going to drop and change to food studies) *Is Now Food Studies Unit 2
3/4 Biology (aiming for a 45+)

I am a huge science nerd! Love chemistry and biology the most, and have a like for some physics fields (Nuclear and Astro). I really have a strong hatred for English! It's weird, because i have a massive love for books, linguistics and other languages, but i can't stand to do write bland essays on bland books. I think i'm also one of those people just just likes the creative side. Which they don't do much on.

In the long run I thought i might try get into medicine, but i don't think my health is up to that unfortunately. So I decided to set my sites on a Bach of Science. I might go into research with it, or go into the backside of medicine. Don't know what i want to do with it yet, but i think it is a good start :D! I would hopefully like an ATAR over 90, but i know i have health issues which interfere with study, so it may not actually happen, so i'm prepared for different pathways if need be :).

Aside from all education stuff! A bit about me!
I'm a massive book worm (fantasy and sci -fi though), and am quite the marvel fan. TV and movies watching is a free time of mine, that i do with a cat and a cup of tea! (or coffee, or hot chocolate, depends what mode i'm in). I'm an avid baker and video game player. All so much procrastination material  :P

I will try to post weekly, but you all know VCE, stuff can just get in the way. Anyway hope you stick around :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 12:27:45 am by Geoo »
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
Re: Geoo's Hopefull Journey to a 90+ Atar
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 10:50:24 pm »
+2
Hello fellow AN readers! Geoo here.
I really enjoy reading other peoples journals and how it motivates me. So i thought i'd do my own! I know this is a bit late into the year! But i though hey why not. It would be kinda cool to come back and revisit the road i had to graduate, and my VCE.
I'm currently in year 11 doing one 3/4 subject.

Current Subjects
1/2 Chemistry (aiming for a 40+)
1/2 English (aiming for over 30)
1/2 Maths Methods (aiming for 30)
1/2 Physics (probably going to drop and change to food studies)
3/4 Biology (aiming for a 45+)

I am a huge science nerd! Love chemistry and biology the most, and have a like for some physics fields (Nuclear and Astro). I really have a strong hatred for English! It's weird, because i have a massive love for books, linguistics and other languages, but i can't stand to do write bland essays on bland books. I think i'm also one of those people just just likes the creative side. Which they don't do much on. Can't do much about it though  :o I'm currently doing all my course via DECV (or VSV now?) And have roughly enjoyed it so far.

In the long run I thought i might try get into medicine, but i don't think my health is up to that unfortunately. So I decided to set my sites on a Bach of Science. I might go into research with it, or go into the backside of medicine. Don't know what i want to do with it yet, but i think it is a good start :D! I would hopefully like an ATAR over 90, but i know i have health issues which interfere with study, so it may not actually happen, so i'm prepared for different pathways if need be :).

Aside from all education stuff! A bit about me!
I'm a massive book worm (fantasy and sci -fi though), and am quite the marvel fan. TV and movies watching is a free time of mine, that i do with a cat and a cup of tea! (or coffee, or hot chocolate, depends what mode i'm in). I'm an avid baker and video game player. All so much procrastination material  :P

I will try to post weekly, but you all know VCE, stuff can just get in the way. Anyway hope you stick around :)

Hey Geoo

Nice to know a bit about you, good choice in making a VCE journal  .  ;)

but . . but. . . what

particular course/field are you  interested in after you finish year 12?

Good luck with all your VCE subjects and hope this journal comes along well  :D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 10:54:49 pm by Ionic Doc »
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 11:21:52 pm »
+3
Hey Geoo

Nice to know a bit about you, good choice in making a VCE journal  .  ;)

but . . but. . . what

particular course/field are you  interested in after you finish year 12?

Good luck with all your VCE subjects and hope this journal comes along well  :D

I'm really not sure to be honest! I could go into computer science (software or gaming), disease research, chemical engineering, nuclear engineering or maybe food sciences or pathology. I'm one of those people that has alot of interests, and i think it shows in my hobbies and future studies. So i can't give you and conclusive sorry :(

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 10:11:46 am »
+3
Hey Geoo - great to see another science journal :D

Is there anything in particular that has drawn you to science &/ med?

Have you heard they're making a wheel of time tv series? I don't watch much tv at all but it wiill be interesting to see how that turns out.

Good luck with bio this year!

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 12:17:22 am »
+2
Hey Geoo - great to see another science journal :D

Is there anything in particular that has drawn you to science &/ med?

Have you heard they're making a wheel of time tv series? I don't watch much tv at all but it wiill be interesting to see how that turns out.

Good luck with bio this year!
Hey Bri thanks for reading!
I think the reason i got drawn to science was because of two things.
I have always had a passion for science. I remember being a kid interested in the structure of crystals to the point my parents thought i was hippie over how many i bought  ;D. I like to know how things work and solving problems in that area. Its always been fascinating!
I think i'm drawn to med side though the most due to my experience in the industry. I have had some ongoing health issues, and learning about everything along the way just made me want to learn more about that stuff, and see if i can help other people with illnesses similar to mine.

Ill have to check out the TV show when it comes out. I have heard of the author and the series but haven't started it. There's more fantasy coming out which is awesome.
The Rain on netflix is coming back, and i heard Dark and Stranger things is also having there next seasons! Plus Leigh Bardugos Six of Crows and Grinsha series are being made! So it's a good time for fantasy and sci fi on tv at the moment!

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 12:47:57 am »
+6
Term 2 Week 1 29/04/19
Ah first week back! Gotta say i wasn't that happy about my progress this week. I had 2 SACs first week back which was fun. However one of them was late due to my teacher not correcting a draft. Anyway here's a summery.

Subject Overview

English Ah English, my personal torture. This week wasn't to bad for English, but it certainly had it moments. I had and older SAC that needed to be completed even though it was due a month ago. We didn't get a replacement teacher when our regular went on leave, so none of my classes work was marked and had to be postponed. I was supposed to do it over the holidays, but i was a bit angry of how late it was. I know, not very productive but just couldn't be bothered. It was the final fixing up and recording of the oral presentation. Since I don't sit in front of a class, i have to record it on a laptop with amazing sound quality!*sarcasm
The weeks assigned work was just themes and symbolism analysis on the book we where reading so that wasn't to bad. I just hope that i can scrape a B for my SAC!.

Chemistry It was pretty decent this week. Mainly learning how to name hydrocarbons and their 3D geometry. I didn't find it to hard, but remembering where to put which prefix for a branch or bond was just mind boggling. Oh and also, i can't draw 3D molecules. I can recognise them, but my drawings look like stick figures gone wrong. A friend told me i don't actually need to draw them, so I don't know if it's really that important. But overall good week.

Biology I am so disappointed in my self. It is kind of not my fault, as i was really sick Thursday and Friday, but i barely got anything done! Am a bit behind but i'm hoping to finish week 10's work tomorrow, as i have a SAC this week on the same topic. Its all about cellular signals and apoptosis. Apoptosis is pretty easy. Sometimes trying to find what made them malfunction in certain cells can be a bit of a guessing game, but i just need more practice. The only thing i can't understand is signal transduction! I think it was just explained to me wrong so have to study up on that one for the SAC. Which i really need to do well in if i want to stay in the top 5 rank.

Physics This week was fine. It was only a SAC on electricity and it wasn't to bad.(I was allowed a cheat sheet ;)) I'm going to drop the subject so I didn't even study for, so i'm hoping to just get by on a 55+. I do like physics overall, but the course at DECV isn't that great, and am finding the lack of explanations frustrating!!! So i'm gonna drop it for food studies next semester. Yay. Anyone have any thoughts on food studies?

Math's Methods Math's...... The stuff is not to bad, but i keep forgetting how to do a sum every 5 minutes, which is very frustrating. I am very behind on maths, by 5 weeks, and really have to catch up. The work load is huge! I am not use to this much, and the online course is like reading a textbook with fancy explanations that i don't get. I have no clue what domains and functions are and where to start! (mini rant there, sorry) I just gotta push through it for the time being! It's only unit 1, and still have time to improve, but right now, i just need to pass.

So there is week one tied into a bundle. Not much else happened this week. I did get to see Avengers End Game which was awesome by the way! I also found the time to make donuts which was nice. But yeah, i have so much to do and can't seem to find the time! Cya next week  :)
*Sorry if there are a few errors.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 03:58:40 pm »
+1
Great start to your journal! Have enjoyed it so far. :)

Re: Physics/Food Studies - what do you mean when you say the course isn't great? Like, the way the info is structured or whatever?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 08:48:19 pm »
+2
Great start to your journal! Have enjoyed it so far. :)

Re: Physics/Food Studies - what do you mean when you say the course isn't great? Like, the way the info is structured or whatever?

Well..... even thought the course follows the study design, and provides plenty of video content for theory, the maths proportion sucks. We get the basic formulas, like omhs law R=V/I which is quite easy to understand, and we get a (ONE EXAMPLE!) very basic example given. Then when a test comes or SAC, the problems that are given are much more complicated, sometimes use different formulas or methods for solving that aren't taught, and sometimes asks question that i could not find anywhere in the course.
I find the structure odd too. When learning ohm's law, the gave use one example for calculating resistance, then in the test used multiple question with power- P(I passed as i did research of my own and found a table with all the formulas). Oh, they also taught basic circuits without giving us background on potential difference or current (they did a small amount but not enough in my opinion) and they taught ohms law second, which i think should have been one of the first things to teach in the topic.

So yeah... just small problems that will add into big ones. So that why i'm probably going to drop it. I really enjoyed the theory, but how the maths was taught and how little examples where given was just annoying and gave me a headache. I might try come back to it in uni, as some of the majors i'm looking at cover small sections of physics.

Side note: really enjoying the space stuff we are learning. Less maths! (only hubbles law (not hard ans straight forward aside from converting Kpc to Mpc or Mpc to ly)and parallax calculations) so much big bang theory so thats awesome. Another reason i'm dropping it, is they don't do astro, areo or nuclear in units 3 or 4, which is disappointing.  ::). it's also very dry

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 08:57:11 pm »
+3
Maths Methods Side note
So i'm really behind on methods. And not just by a bit..... alot. I had a few personal problems come up at the start of the year, and had the course delayed by 3 weeks into the term, so i had trouble starting it. I half procrastinated it and half wasn't feeling up to it, so i'm now *drum role please* 8 weeks behind *clap, clap*. Both my maths teacher an I have come to the conclusion that it is to late to try complete all the work. So unfortunately, i'm just going to go for a satisfactory. That means i don't do may SACs and have a heavily reduced workload. It sucks as i will be less prepared for unit 3 and 4, so i will most likely get a tutor for that next year. Not gonna lie and say i'm ok with that. I'm quite upset that i didn't mange to catch up (i did try, got up to week 5) but it just is what it is. Plus i can't seem to understand Domains and Functions for the life of me.... (it's explained poorly)
Anyway, sorry for a kinda depressing log, but that's life  :)

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 10:11:29 pm »
+5
Term 2 Week 2 03/05/19
Can't believe we're in a new month already! Time flys. Huh, this week was probably one of my most unproductive, i still did some work but I was just feeling really slack. Coach potato should be my new username. I was pretty much stuck at home all week, but i did alot of research on some majors i'm interested in :).

Subject Overview

English Guess what..... another SAC this week yay! Analytical essay on a boring book. Not super happy with how it turned out, but still hoping for a C or B.

Biology Oh my is that another SAC. So I did this one today and think i went really well. On cellular signalling and malfunctions of apoptosis. I didn't find it to hard, but trying to remember some of the names for the proteins and what not to remember is just annoying! I wish they would tell us what we would specifically need to remember. So i just tried with Fas and FADD and all the caspase cascades(tongue twister alert). I got my first SAC back from 6 weeks ago  ::) and got a 50/50! So i'm very happy with that, but i think the SAC will get scaled down, as it was super easy in my opinion.

Physic Mediocre this week. Enjoying it far better than the other two area of studies in unit 1, as its all on space! (probably my inner sci-fi nerd).

Chemistry Haven't done any this week. I'm trying to plan it for tomorrow. All i know is it is about polymers. SAC next week to! But i don't feel i need to prepare for it, as it all done in class with 2 experiments (making slime apparently) 

Maths Well, if you read my last post you'll know about that situation. Still haven't done anything, but i did speak to a maths tutor which is promising, and will try complete week 7 on Saturday or Sunday.

So a pretty chill, not that productive week! Hopefully will do more on the weekend and try to take sunday off! And i really need to start working out again.
Anyway, May The Fourth Be With You (sorry just had to do the pun) for tomorrow.

NomotivationF

• Forum Obsessive
  • Serial procrastinator
  • Respect: +93
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2019, 11:43:16 am »
+3
Term 2 Week 2 03/05/19
And i really need to start working out again.

Damn this hits home. I've completely neglected the gym since the start of the holidays
Offering tutoring for Economics, Further Maths and Psychology
(Email [email protected])
(Mobile - 0435076426)

My journey through VCE

How I got a Raw 48 in Economics

2018 - Accounting [42] Further Maths [44]
2019 - English [39] Economics [48] Psychology [44] Maths methods [33]
ATAR - 97.5
2020-2023 - Ba Commerce/Science @Monash

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2019, 12:55:25 pm »
+1
Damn this hits home. I've completely neglected the gym since the start of the holidays
Haha! I know how you feel! I need to migrate from the couch :P

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2019, 01:56:57 pm »
+3
Hi Geoo!
Nice to meet you!
I love reading your journal and am psyched for more!
Phenomenal biology sac score though!
What would be your favourite science subject?
 :)

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2019, 03:14:27 pm »
+1
Hi Geoo!
Nice to meet you!
I love reading your journal and am psyched for more!
Phenomenal biology sac score though!
What would be your favourite science subject?
 :)

Hey Evolio! Thanks for reading. I would have to say chemistry is my favorite. It's a little bland at the moment but overall i'm hoping it will get better (not looking forward to the heavy maths part :)) Then again, I also really like biology, which is funny as I use to hate it growing up. I think i just had a lot of misconceptions about it. To be fair, I only really like microbiology and medical stuff..... Not the much of the other stuff.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Geoo's Hopeful VCE Journey
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2019, 04:18:32 pm »
+3
Hey Evolio! Thanks for reading. I would have to say chemistry is my favorite. It's a little bland at the moment but overall i'm hoping it will get better (not looking forward to the heavy maths part :)) Then again, I also really like biology, which is funny as I use to hate it growing up. I think i just had a lot of misconceptions about it. To be fair, I only really like microbiology and medical stuff..... Not the much of the other stuff.

What kinda misconceptions, out of interest?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.