Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:05:45 am

Author Topic: HSC Physics Question Thread  (Read 1030487 times)  Share 

Jackson.Sprigg

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
Re: HSC Physics Question Thread
« Reply #3810 on: September 27, 2019, 06:11:05 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you do! :)

I'm not 100% sure if you're right about that or not but I can't find anywhere actually talking about it so I'm just replying to find out the truth! My understanding is that flux is BA or the product of area and magnetic field strength. So if I were to consider a 2 dimensional coil with multiple turns the area would not actually be increasing? EMF does depend on the number of turns but now I'm just confused about flux.

Aryan.S

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3811 on: September 28, 2019, 07:56:40 pm »
which investigations/practicals are we expected to know the procedures for from the syllabus?

akjen

• Adventurer
« Reply #3812 on: October 03, 2019, 04:38:33 pm »
This might be something obvious but I don't understand why the answer to this is C. Please help thanks

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #3813 on: October 03, 2019, 04:46:07 pm »
+1
This might be something obvious but I don't understand why the answer to this is C. Please help thanks

The keyword/line is "the hydrogen separated". This tells you that the hydrogen atom itself must contain some separate particles which are charged and hence experienced a force due to an electric field. The other answers are a bit ridiculous and really have nothing to do with it.

Either way questions like these are quite  poorly designed because really it's testing your English skills imo.

akjen

• Adventurer
« Reply #3814 on: October 03, 2019, 05:25:32 pm »
I thought an atom has less mass than what its made up from (because it's used as binding energy).
The answer is A.

mani.s_

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3815 on: October 17, 2019, 10:54:21 pm »
Hi, I just got my first year 12 assignment which is a depth study of advanced mechanics. I had one idea of investigating the motion of rockets and satellites. I could even do something with circular motion or projectile motion, taking air resistance into consideration. I just don't what to do or how to start. I wanna try to do something unique and creative thats challenging but not too insane. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I could do? Please tell me something that's doable, the actual investigation I can make on my own. Thanks! :)

stewartw20

• Adventurer
  • Respect: -5
« Reply #3816 on: October 18, 2019, 10:41:43 am »
I NEED URGENT HELP NOW!!! PLEASE ANSWER ME ASAP! YOU MUST HELP ME!
Guys please show me how to answer this, I'm absolutely clueless :-\

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #3817 on: October 18, 2019, 01:33:23 pm »
+3
I NEED URGENT HELP NOW!!! PLEASE ANSWER ME ASAP! YOU MUST HELP ME!
Guys please show me how to answer this, I'm absolutely clueless :-\
I believe you’ve already been told that everyone on AN is a volunteer, so not everyone will be available at all times. Please avoid using red bold font or people may feel less inclined to answer. In addition, the red bold font is even less likely to get you a faster response. (The quote below applies to the whole of AN and not just one board.)

It should be noted that forum etiquette requires users to respect each other and realise that all question-answerers on ATAR Notes are volunteers, as was stated in a very recent post above. Exam time means extra stress but by no means does being stressed give a person the right to demand what they need from others, especially if those others are answering queries out of the goodness of their hearts. I wanted to make it clear that this attitude will not be tolerated here and that, regardless of individual circumstances, everyone deserves respect. Bold red does not equate to respect.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 07:17:16 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

stewartw20

• Adventurer
« Reply #3818 on: October 18, 2019, 01:51:04 pm »
Click here to hide this post again.
October 18, 2019, 01:51:04 pm - Hidden.

tuna

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3819 on: October 23, 2019, 08:03:10 pm »
Hi
Could someone please help me, I'm having difficulty understanding the attached projectile motion question.

The suggested answer uses s=ut+1/2at^2 , using s=150m, t=21s, a=1.6ms^2. The given answer is 9.7ms^1.
Shouldn't acceleration be negative as the force is applied downward?

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #3820 on: October 23, 2019, 10:08:36 pm »
+2
Hey there!

You're correct in that the acceleration should be downward ie. a negative value. This causes the change in position in the vertical direction ie. the vertical velocity to increase towards a downwards direction. What we surmise from this is that given the astronaut projects the stone from the origin, is that while the change in vertical position is 150m, it actually finishes 150m below the origin ie. s=-150. Substituting in the rest of the values given in the question will give you that initial vertical velocity was 9.657m/s upwards. :)

Hope this helps!
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

stewartw20

• Adventurer
« Reply #3821 on: October 24, 2019, 01:20:19 pm »
Cheers fun_jirachi!!!!1!!
Can you please answer my question?

louisaaa01

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #3822 on: October 28, 2019, 03:29:01 pm »
Can someone please help out with this multiple choice question?

Thank you.
2019 ATAR: 99.95

2020 - 2026

USYD BSci / Doctor of Medicine

mani.s_

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3823 on: October 28, 2019, 09:46:18 pm »
Hi, for my physics depth study for advanced mechanics, I'm planning to use a conical pendulum to investigate the centripetal force and relate it to the orbital radius and orbital period. The only problem is that I don't know how to make a conical pendulum that actually works and is accurate. I don't want to attach a mass to a string and swing it by hand, as that's not very accurate or valid. I saw that you can make a pendulum using a retort stand and a dc power supply but I don't know how that works and their's no set instructions online on how to make one. If anyone knows how I can make a working pendulum or any advice relating to the depth study please let me know. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #3824 on: October 28, 2019, 10:03:48 pm »
+1
-snip-
I believe you’ve already been told that everyone on AN is a volunteer, so not everyone will be available at all times. Please avoid using red bold font or people may feel less inclined to answer. In addition, the red bold font is even less likely to get you a faster response. (The quote below applies to the whole of AN and not just one board.)

This was a fair comment from AngelWings; I was really not inclined to answer because it felt like more of a pushy demand as opposed to a legitimate question. However, I will go ahead and answer this anyway; but be wary that I or other people may not answer your other questions in the future if this continues.

Basically we have a 'paradox' between the observations of A and B. As B is an outside observer watching the barn doors close simultaneously and watching the ladder move at a relativistic speed relative to the barn, B will see the ladder contract to a length of about 8.72m (using the length contraction formula - the question asks for calcs), thus seeing the ladder fit completely inside the barn with the doors shut the instant the button is pressed. The paradox arises when we then consider the observations of A; instead, the barn moves towards the ladder A is carrying at 0.9c, and shrinks to a size of about 6.54m (again using the length contraction formula) as observed by A. Clearly, the barn is far too small to even fit the ladder, and thus a paradox arises at the instant the doors close; how can we possibly have the ladder simultaneously fitting in the barn and becoming a part of the doors in the same instant of time?

However, the answer to the question is in fact that the ladder will never touch the doors; because events observed to be simultaneous by A will not be simultaneous for B. B will observe the ladder entering the barn, then being enclosed for an instant, then exiting, while A will observe the ladder entering, the front door shutting and opening, then during that instant, A will have already moved a fraction and will then observe the back door opening and shutting, and then the ladder will exit.

Hopefully this makes sense :)

Can someone please help out with this multiple choice question?

Thank you.

Basically we have the formulae \(F=\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q_1q_2}{r^2}\) (for the force between two point charges) and similarly \(E=\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q_1}{r^2}\) (for the magnitude of the electric field produced by a point charge). The first one is on the reference sheet, while the second one can be derived reasonably easily.

I'm honestly not sure why the answers are like that; from what I've calculated (just subbing in values into the first formula), none of them match. Also, the units are wrong, as they're asking for a force, not a field strength, which is odd. I'd think this question is a dud actually :)

Hope this helps :)
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions