Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 04:09:19 pm

Author Topic: EPL 08/09 thread  (Read 24597 times)

midas_touch

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Serial Trout Slapper
  • Respect: +4
EPL 08/09 thread
« on: August 19, 2008, 02:40:50 pm »
I figured I'd make a thread to coincide with the new Premier League season which began last weekend. It was a slightly disappointing start for my team, Man United who could only manage a 1-1 draw with Newcastle United. It didn't help that we suffered a couple of injuries in the game as well. Hopefully we'll start to string a few good games together as we start our Premiership/Champions league defense. As for other teams, Chelsea had an impressive start to the season with a 4-0 win over the reigning FA cup winners, Portsmouth.
Some snippets of what goes on in IRC:

<chath> ill say " i wont let you go until u kiss me bitch"

<@enwiabe> i have the BEST orgasms when i'm working through a math problem

<@mark_alec> my bikini line however, is most important

Are you scared yet?

psychlaw

Re: EPL 08/09 thread
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 03:18:50 pm »
Yep, the new season has started. Here are some of my thoughts for 08/09

Players to look out for this season:
In attack
Torres - I think he can beat his achievements from last seasons, people are saying he'll hit 40 goals. He scored the only goal once again in the first game to give Liverpool the win.
Ronaldo - Speaks for himself, best player in the world... Look what happened to Manchester United in the game he didn't play, they drew. He is the heart of the team.
Adebayor - Last season was fantastic for him. He was still getting used to the conditions in England. And especially now with Eduardo De Silva out for a few months, I think Adebayor will explode upfront and score atleast 25 this year

Midfielders
Fabregas - He is key behind Arsenals midfield. All good wins and results for Arsenal will undoubtfully revolve around him, and his got a much bigger role now that the likes of Hleb and Gilberto have left
Barry - He was strong in both attack and defence last season. Scored vital goals and used his physical strength to help defend. He has broken into Englands line up and many have compared him to Gerrard. No wonder Liverpool had a 13 million pound bid for him that was turned down.
Stevie G - Phenomenal as always, his work rate is generally high and was the key behind Liverpools success in recent years
Ballack - He had a great Euro 08 experience and a good last season (his dominance was perhaps the reason for Lampards lowkey season). He should play well this season aswell

Defenders
Gallas - Strong defender and likes to attack aswell, his pace has stopped many attacks for Arsenal and he will be the Rock in defence for there campaign.
Cacapa - Defended really well against Man U.

Keeper
Robinson - Didn't have a great season last year. Was dropped from the England Squad and sold to Blackburn. I think he will really shine this season, and this move can only be good for him. The transfer should be like a metaphor for change and he should really bounce back better then ever, and has the hunger to do so after poor previous seasons.

Teams to look our for
Obvious Dominators: Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Man Utd
Other then those...
Manchester City  - 9th last season, brought in some talent last season (elano and petrov). Elano will have a great season I think, and will work well with new Brazillian teammate Jo. Ben Haim should also strengthen there much relaxed defence.
I reckon Man City can muster up a top 5 finish
Newcastle - They showed there good, and defended well againsted Manchester United. I think Owen and Viduka will form a good strike partnership upfront and one to look out for. Ameobi should also be pushing well to get a place in the team after being loaned out to the Championship in the past season (he scored the goal against Man Utd)

bubble sunglasses

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 04:01:51 pm »

Dean Ashton, if he stays fit, he's a really good all-round striker

midas_touch

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Serial Trout Slapper
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 06:02:09 pm »
Deco is proving to be a great pickup for Chelsea already, after only two games. That free kick goal against Wigan was a pearler.

Are you scared yet?

psychlaw

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 06:23:27 pm »
don't get too excited, its early on :D

but yea he has shocked me, I expected him to be a flop like Shevchenko (deco was so shit for Barca at the end of last season, he was a waste of space on the pitch :o)

If he wants to scores at the ratio he did at Barcelona, then he doesn't have to score another goal in 21 games :D

bubble sunglasses

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 06:25:18 pm »

he's got a deft, creative side as well, Art Deco, would be good to see at the top of his game

bubble sunglasses

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 05:29:04 pm by bubble sunglasses »

midas_touch

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Serial Trout Slapper
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 06:36:30 pm »
Man City have indeed proven to be a financial heavyweight now, which can now compete with the Big 4 in terms of spending thanks to the new owners.

Also great to see Dimitar Berbatov finally arrive at Old Trafford, where he will fit in very nicely amongst Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez.

Are you scared yet?

psychlaw

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 06:44:59 pm »
wow Robinho to man city is really suprising, I was sure he'd go to chelsea... it was pretty much done

Man City are looking REALLY good this season, they've got one of the best attacks in the premierleague at the moment

Elano, Petrov, Robinho and Wright-Philips, thats one attcak to look out for

all of those players are so quick
and they've got a strong defence, with new signings Ben Haim and Kompany back there

SHIT I forgot to mention new striker Jo, who scored like 30 goals last season back in moscow
AND MICAH RICHARDS, AWESOME PLAYER HOW COULD I FORGET HIM

AND HAMANN IN THE MIDFIELD
OH OH OH AND ANOTHER STRIKER FORMER PORTSMOUTH ACE MWAURUWARI

Manchester City are going to be so good this season. Top 4 finish is potentially on the cards.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 06:47:57 pm by psychlaw »

psychlaw

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 06:50:28 pm »
OMG AND I FORGOT VALERI BOJINOV

He played really well for Juventus last year

bubble sunglasses

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 06:54:49 pm »

not EPL related but AC Milan's attack = 1337

Golfa

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 06:59:35 pm »
wow Robinho to man city is really suprising, I was sure he'd go to chelsea... it was pretty much done

Man City are looking REALLY good this season, they've got one of the best attacks in the premierleague at the moment

and they've got a strong defence, with new signings Ben Haim and Kompany back there

SHIT I forgot to mention new striker Jo, who scored like 30 goals last season back in moscow

Manchester City are going to be so good this season. Top 4 finish is potentially on the cards.

mate they have NO chance of taking a top four spot away from arsanal or liverpool, forget manchester and chelsea. Like last year their defence will be their downfall especially on the wings against teams like arsanal with their wing combos....
6th for city i fear unless they show something this week against the blues. Watch out for spurs though to shake up the top 4...showed against chelsea on the weekend that they can play very good football....
2007:
History: Revolutions

2008:
English
Further Maths
Psychology
Math Methods CAS       
Legal Studies

psychlaw

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 07:03:23 pm »
lol but its not good enough to save them
they already lost 2-0 (or 2-1, cant remember) to Bolognia

I think Milans shining days are over for the next few years to come, they should hope for a top 7 finish

There general attack is pretty good with playmakers like Ronaldinho and Kaka
but there finishers (strikers) are pretty poor, with the loss of Ronaldo and Gilardino, there only two wellknown strikers are Inzaghi (too old/slow) and Shevchenko (his time at chelsea speaks for itself)

but if Shevchenko can find the form which made him famous (and won him european player of the year), then yea, he will score a lot of goals with assists from kaka and ronaldinho

bubble sunglasses

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 07:04:46 pm »
lol but its not good enough to save them
they already lost 2-0 (or 2-1, cant remember) to Bolognia

I think Milans shining days are over for the next few years to come, they should hope for a top 7 finish

There general attack is pretty good with playmakers like Ronaldinho and Kaka
but there finishers (strikers) are pretty poor, with the loss of Ronaldo and Gilardino, there only two wellknown strikers are Inzaghi (too old/slow) and Shevchenko (his time at chelsea speaks for itself)

but if Shevchenko can find the form which made him famous (and won him european player of the year), then yea, he will score a lot of goals with assists from kaka and ronaldinho

you forgot someone ;)

psychlaw

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 07:08:17 pm »

mate they have NO chance of taking a top four spot away from arsanal or liverpool, forget manchester and chelsea. Like last year their defence will be their downfall especially on the wings against teams like arsanal with their wing combos....
6th for city i fear unless they show something this week against the blues. Watch out for spurs though to shake up the top 4...showed against chelsea on the weekend that they can play very good football....
.... Man Citys defence has been there weak point in the past, but this season they will be tougher in defence aswell. As you've seen at the start of this season already, Kompany is a freak defender, european class.... and Ben Haim was good enough for chelsea to sign him for 15 million (but couldn't break into the 1st XI squad due to abundanceof other quality players)

not to mention Micah Richards, whos broken into the england squad at the age of 20

City are currently 3rd and have played well, I would be willing to bet quite a bit of money they would put up a fight for a top 4 place

Tottenham are yet to win a game this season and are in 19th place, and with the loss of star strikers Berbatov and Keane, I'd be suprised if they had a top 8 finish