Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 02:55:47 pm

Poll

How important is the ATAR?

Super important
10 (33.3%)
Kinda important
15 (50%)
Mneh
3 (10%)
Not that important tbh
1 (3.3%)
Not important at all
1 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: As a current Year 10, how important do you think the ATAR is?  (Read 3403 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
As a current Year 10, how important do you think the ATAR is?
« on: August 30, 2018, 02:51:11 pm »
+3
I remember when I was in Year 10, I only really knew of the ATAR (the ENTER back in the day) because of my brother, who's older than I am. But I didn't really know how it worked or what it meant - or, indeed, its importance.

Through VCE, I thought it was really important. And after VCE, I realised it's not that important.

But my question to current Year 10s is: what's your perception of the ATAR, and what does it mean to you at the moment? There are no wrong answers here. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
Re: As a current Year 10, how important do you think the ATAR is?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 09:06:34 pm »
+1
I know this isnt directed at me as a non-year 10 but when I was in year 10 it was the most important thing in the world to me (hence why I joined atarnotes) and I thought my life would be effectively over if i got less than 99.90 and couldnt get a chancellors scholarship. Boy was I wrong. The most important thing for all you young wipper snappers to know is that your atar does not mean shit once you get into your uni course, work SUPER hard in uni and do extra curriculars and shit to get a good job. but just enjoy year 12. Hang out with your friends and play sports and wag school to go state library etc. Work hard enough to get into your desired course and thats it

Mr. Universe

• Forum Regular
  • 2019 JMSS
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 09:27:35 pm »
+5
I'm not quite in Yr 10 (Yr 9), but thought I'd share my opinion anyway.

Currently, It feels like my ATAR will determine how the majority of my life will play out, especially in terms of occupation. It seems like a very important thing and feels like my entire life depends on it. My aspirations, dreams and goals all seem to be reliant on one thing: my ATAR.
VCE seems like the thing that I've spent the past 10 years of my life in school for. Despite this seeming wrong, I feel like ATAR is basically your 'rank' in our education system; the ULTIMATE exam grade and the most important too. There have been points where I have had breakdowns by just worrying about VCE, my VCE subject choices, if I'm going to be able to get a high enough ATAR, what I would do with my life if I didn't get a high enough ATAR and what not. But, when I look at the bigger picture of life, it seems a bit less important but still crucial in determining whether I am able to turn my dreams in reality.

Just the paradigm of a Yr 9 on ATAR. : )

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 07:39:00 am »
+2

Thank you for sharing your view :)
I barely knew what an ATAR was in year 9 and had no clue about study scores... looking at the stress you've been experiencing I might have been lucky.

I know people who are now doctors and weren't able to get in uni based on their ATARs, and sometimes as a uni student it can be easy to forget the ATAR pressure in high school - especially since it doesn't mean much to most uni students (now).

What career are you interested in btw?

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 08:41:16 am »
+2
Also not a year 10 haha

I did a year 12 subject in year 10 and still didn’t really have any idea how ATARs or Study Scores worked. I didn’t even know what a study design was for a lot of that year.

I had a bit of an idea of what a study score was, I knew it was out of 50 and that’s what determines your ATAR. I didn’t care at all though. The morning results were released that year I was just watching TV or something and my mum called to ask if my brother was awake because she wanted to know how he went (he was graduating that year). That’s when I realised that I could see what I got for psych. I just googled VCE results because I didn’t even know where to get them, luckily I knew my student number haha.

I only really started caring after I did really well on my first bio SAC and my bio teacher said that I could actually end up doing really well if I kept it up and I was kind of just like what? Am I supposed to care about this? Haha
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

sbeccia

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 10:13:01 am »
+4
I'm in year 10 now, and my point of view on the ATAR isn't to really aim for a specific ATAR, but to achieve the highest you can achieve. Its also important to consider that you really cannot determine the ATAR you would need for a course because it changes every year, and I understand that for whatever reason I don't make it into my course, there are pathways.

Of course a pathway may take longer to complete, but the way I see it is that completing a pathway could help fill in any gaps in your learning- which is really important because you need the basics before you can move on! :) So of course the ATAR matters, but it definitely isn't worth stressing over - just choose the subjects you enjoy.  :) :D
2019: Maths Methods
2020: English, Italian, Physics, Biology and Further Maths

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 10:24:58 am »
I'm in year 10 now, and my point of view on the ATAR isn't to really aim for a specific ATAR, but to achieve the highest you can achieve.

Love this philosophy! ;D

tomatosauce

• Forum Obsessive
  • Masters degree in Procrastination
  • Respect: +115
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 05:26:27 pm »
For me, it's 'do or die' important... I want to get as high as I possibly can. My long-term goal is to get dux... so probably mid to late 90s?
Someone told me to grow up yesterday. I immediately banned that person from ever riding my unicorn!
Class of 2020 graduate... if I ever get there! :D
Year 11 - 2019:
English, Math Methods, VET Business 3/4, Legal Studies and Accounting

Year 12 - 2020:
English, VET Accounting 3/4, Math Methods, Legal Studies and VCE Accounting

2021: Chartered Accountant ;)

Mr. Universe

• Forum Regular
  • 2019 JMSS
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 08:18:43 pm »
Thank you for sharing your view :)
I barely knew what an ATAR was in year 9 and had no clue about study scores... looking at the stress you've been experiencing I might have been lucky.

I know people who are now doctors and weren't able to get in uni based on their ATARs, and sometimes as a uni student it can be easy to forget the ATAR pressure in high school - especially since it doesn't mean much to most uni students (now).

What career are you interested in btw?

Thank You!

I'm not 100% but most likely a neurosurgeon.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 08:57:00 pm by Mr. Universe »

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 10:22:29 am »
Interesting results so far. I honestly thought there'd be more votes toward the "not really that important" end!

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 10:32:20 am »
+1
Interesting results so far. I honestly thought there'd be more votes toward the "not really that important" end!
I suspect this study is not representative of year 10's in general haha
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2018, 10:37:19 am »

Absolutely agree haha.

tomatosauce

• Forum Obsessive
  • Masters degree in Procrastination
  • Respect: +115
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2018, 04:52:37 pm »
+1
The year 10s that are already on here are probably the more dedicated/committed ones imo?? I just know a lot of people at my school who couldn't give a damn... who don't even want to think about VCE/Year 11 & 12 etc... they're mostly the ones who aren't on here... that would affect the poll results!
Someone told me to grow up yesterday. I immediately banned that person from ever riding my unicorn!
Class of 2020 graduate... if I ever get there! :D
Year 11 - 2019:
English, Math Methods, VET Business 3/4, Legal Studies and Accounting

Year 12 - 2020:
English, VET Accounting 3/4, Math Methods, Legal Studies and VCE Accounting

2021: Chartered Accountant ;)