Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 12:13:27 am

Author Topic: How to study for english???  (Read 653 times)

emilyyyyyyy

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
How to study for english???
« on: September 27, 2019, 08:12:20 pm »
Hi all,
How screwed would I be if I only focused on knowing quotes and stuff for 3 themes for each text, bc I have my notes, but I have 3 specific themes/ideas for each module that i'd want to ideally write about in the exam? Like how much more should I know?
And how should I prepare for mod C??

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: How to study for english???
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 11:02:39 pm »
+1
Hi all,
How screwed would I be if I only focused on knowing quotes and stuff for 3 themes for each text, bc I have my notes, but I have 3 specific themes/ideas for each module that i'd want to ideally write about in the exam? Like how much more should I know?

Hey there,

Honestly, I went into the exam with a few themes and relevant quotes and I was fine. Just remember to be flexible in your exam and remember to shape your ideas/thesis with the question. I will say that I'd recommend having one more theme and maybe two relevant quotes up your sleeve just as a safety blanket.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 03:17:19 pm »
+2
Hi all,

Hey, emilyyyyyyy!

I'll add on to Olivia's amazing points on prep  :) For Module C specifically, I wouldn't recommend memorising a whole creative/discursive just because you don't know how many marks you'll be allocated to write for. I also suspect the stimulus will require you to frame it on the spot, as opposed to being able to just rewrite your prepared material. My recommendation would be to construct a table of techniques and key sentences, lines, expressions and vocabulary you would like to use and then apply that table open-book style to some practice questions like the ones I've written up in this thread! Although I wrote this for Standard, the module is essentially the same so you can definitely use it!

Once you get better at it, you can start doing it on the spot/from memory instead  :) If you find things difficult to adapt, I would consider alternative openings/endings/arguments to make sure you have options if the question does end up being really specific. Since there's no clear cut way of studying, I think just practising and simulating conditions closer to the HSC and its unpredictability will better prepare you for what's to come. Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

emilyyyyyyy

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 04:46:44 pm »
Thank you both!!

Just another question about Mod C. If I write a persuasive/discursive about a concern within George Orwell's essay Politics and the English Language, as well as have a few points i could write about in a reflection for it, do you think this would help prepare me at all (and could I use it in the hsc)?
Just bc i don't really want to write a creative, but if I'm preparing to write for a discursive/persuasive, I do want to cover all my bases?

Thanks again :)