Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 07:30:45 am

Author Topic: Preliminary Question  (Read 531 times)

BakerDad12

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Preliminary Question
« on: August 30, 2019, 07:14:06 am »
Hi guys, I am sorry if this has been posted before but I could not find it here. How do you study for the English exams a few weeks before them? I understand a part of it is just memorisation, and is the other part simply applying these quotes to thesis points?

Thank you!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Preliminary Question
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 04:06:23 pm »
+2
Hi guys, I am sorry if this has been posted before but I could not find it here. How do you study for the English exams a few weeks before them? I understand a part of it is just memorisation, and is the other part simply applying these quotes to thesis points?

Thank you!

Hey, BakerDad12!

The best way to approach study in English is really something you have to figure out yourself! Everyone studies differently and it's up to you to find the right strategies to maximise your success in the subject. This applies to memorisation in particular. For some people, memorising an essay word for word and adapting it under exam conditions is their most effective method for preparation. For others, including myself, memorising content such as quotes and techniques to utilise under exam conditions and constructing original essays on the spot guaranteed more success. It really is up to how you want to go about it but always remember to read the question and ensure your response is answering it! I have two articles I'd recommend you read on both the pros and cons of memorising essays so you can see what would work for you!

Given a few weeks before the exam, I would rely heavily on practice papers and writing sample responses to get them marked. Source some sample questions from your teacher to better understand the nature of the exam and what kind of questions you'll be working with. It's one thing to know your content but it's another to be able to apply it  :) I would highly recommend allocating some time each week to simulating an exam-style situation and getting those responses, no matter how good or bad you may think they are, to your teacher for feedback. This can help you improve your writing in the long run and to really see what areas you are doing well/need more work on. Hope this helps and good luck with your upcoming exams!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

BakerDad12

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Re: Preliminary Question
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 07:15:40 pm »
+1
Thank you very much Angelina!