Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 12:00:09 pm

Author Topic: 2019 Monash New Student Thread  (Read 66692 times)  Share 

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
Re: 2019 Monash New Student Thread
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2019, 03:04:55 pm »
+1

Hi guys,
I applied for monash medicine as my first preference with an atar of 98.9 and umat of 95th percentile. I also thought I did decently well in my interview however I did not get a first round offer and instead got my second pref which was law/sci at monash. I am just wondering if I have a chance of getting a second round offer or if I should just accept my second pref. I am really torn right now because I really do want to do medicine. (would be great if I could hear other people's experience who were in the same situation as I really need the reassurance :( )

Thanks in advance :)

100% Accept the offer you got, there are no guarantees for a second round offer especially considering the second round will include interstate applicants. However this is not to say that you CANT receive a second round offer so hold in there!
You can back out of Law/Sci later if you do get a medicine offer with no added cost.
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

hazel_motes

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2019, 03:15:05 pm »
+2
hmm this is my second question on this thread, but moving on...

this might be quite a niche question, but i'll try my luck: i'm yet to fully enrol (planning on doing it tonight), but i want to go by my middle name instead of my first name. i've already set up a monash account which they automatically based off my first name, so idk if i'll have to change that. i just wanted to know 1) is there anywhere in the admin details where one can input a preferred name? and 2) if not, how do i proceed? should i call monash to ask what to do, or should i go ahead with fully enrolling and sorting it out later? (if later, then when and how?)

ps. just a thank you to everyone who's tending to this thread! ;D

UPDATE: so i called lol, but i'll answer my own question if, by some chance, someone out there might be wondering as well about the same thing.

so essentially they only go by official given names, and on official documents and stuff the first name is what's used. however, you can change it on class rolls and stuff, but you'd have to personally go up to the lecturer/tutorial/whatever (pardon my ignorance of uni terms) and ask them to modify it. :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 04:25:52 pm by hazel_motes »

brynstar

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2019, 03:38:36 pm »
For anyone that's enrolled in LOTE units (above beginner), did you physically have to go to Monash to get that sorted, or is there a way for this request to be handled via an email? My placement test says that I can forward the results of the placement test to ask.monash, but I can't find an email address for this..

I'm in exactly the same situation with French. I phoned Monash connect and they gave me their email address to send my test score to since I can't access ask.monash at the moment. They said they would sort it out for me but I'm a bit worried because it has to be forwarded to the faculty of arts by Monash connect and then sorted out by arts so it might take forever?

I really want to start making my timetable and I'm concerned that spots in my units will somehow run out. I live at least 2.5 hours away from Monash but is it worth making the trip up there on Monday so I can get arts student services to manually enrol me while I'm there? I would go tomorrow but I'm working :(
2016 - Indonesian SL (43)
2017 - Psychology ( 47)
2018 - Literature (50 + Premier's Award), French (45), Latin (35), Deakin Accelerate Psychological Science (5.0) ATAR - 99.85

2019 - Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Arts @ Monash University

Now selling essays on Twelfth Night, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and Ariel and General Conversation Notes for French! PM for details!

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2019, 03:43:28 pm »
Hey I'm a bit confused.. would anyone be able to give me a list of the accounts/passwords/ID's we should have for both course enrolment and residential (if possible?)

So far I've got things like WES transaction number, MRS portal, transaction number, MyMonash, Monash Student ID, Applicant ID, MRS Reference number, MRS CCD eLearning, a Monash email adress like [email protected], and also a Monash username.. but I've forgotten if some of them are the same and I wonder if I'm missing any?

Globe

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2019, 04:09:51 pm »
I'm in exactly the same situation with French. I phoned Monash connect and they gave me their email address to send my test score to since I can't access ask.monash at the moment. They said they would sort it out for me but I'm a bit worried because it has to be forwarded to the faculty of arts by Monash connect and then sorted out by arts so it might take forever?

I really want to start making my timetable and I'm concerned that spots in my units will somehow run out. I live at least 2.5 hours away from Monash but is it worth making the trip up there on Monday so I can get arts student services to manually enrol me while I'm there? I would go tomorrow but I'm working :(

I went in-person today for Japanese, and it literally took the lady not even 2 minutes to put it in (she didn't even check or verify the placement test, just took my word for what level of Japanese I was enrolling into). For something that takes such little time, surely there must be a way to do it which saves you a 2.5 hour trip!
2017: | Psychology [41->40] |
2018: | Business Management [46->45] | English [43] | Japanese SL [35->43] | Biology [39->40] | Methods [29->33] |
Atar: 96.55 :)

Jigsaw

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2019, 04:19:21 pm »
Back again with another question ahah. I'm trying to make my timetable in Allocate+ and I'm wondering what a workshop is? Is this different to a lecture?
2017: | Business Management [47] |
2018: | Legal Studies [50] (Premier's) | English [48] | Accounting [41] | Japanese SL [38] | Maths Methods [32] |

ATAR: 99.40 2019 Onwards: Laws (Hons)/Arts @ Monash

LifeisaConstantStruggle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +104
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2019, 04:23:36 pm »
Back again with another question ahah. I'm trying to make my timetable in Allocate+ and I'm wondering what a workshop is? Is this different to a lecture?

akin to a lecture. It sometimes works like one but I think attendance is required if it's a workshop instead of a lecture.
2018-2020: Bachelor of Actuarial Science (+ Econometrics), Monash
2021: Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), Econometrics & Financial Mathematics, Monash
2022-2023: Work and some soul-searching

Globe

• Forum Regular
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2019, 04:25:08 pm »
Does it matter what order I put tutorials, lectures and workshops for a particular unit? Is one meant to be before the other?
2018: | Business Management [46->45] | English [43] | Japanese SL [35->43] | Biology [39->40] | Methods [29->33] |

LifeisaConstantStruggle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +104
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2019, 04:29:02 pm »
+1
Does it matter what order I put tutorials, lectures and workshops for a particular unit? Is one meant to be before the other?

I'm pretty sure they state it pretty obviously in Allocate+ if you have to arrange it that way (for some Arts units this is a requirement), but I have yet to see a requirement for this outside of Arts.
2018-2020: Bachelor of Actuarial Science (+ Econometrics), Monash
2021: Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), Econometrics & Financial Mathematics, Monash
2022-2023: Work and some soul-searching

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2019, 04:29:51 pm »
+3
basically a tutorial -  similar to a high school classroom setting with 20-25 students with 1 tutor. Usually it is either an extension from the lecture content which can also be assessed but sometimes is just separate assessments.

Also there is a new workshop room in the "learning and teaching building" it seats something like 140-150 students with  6 tutors and usually the unit coordinator running things from the middle. I'm not too sure whether arts/law use it though.

if they haven't suggested an order I would think it doesn't matter. workshops/tutes will usually go over content from the previous week so in the end it doesn't make a difference

Globe

• Forum Regular
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2019, 04:37:55 pm »
Also sorry quick question, what do the percentages mean on Allocate plus next to all the preferences?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2019, 04:40:09 pm »
+3
Also sorry quick question, what do the percentages mean on Allocate plus next to all the preferences?

This tells you how popular that session is. The lower the percentage, the better your chances in getting into that session

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2019, 04:42:37 pm »
+2

As far as I know, its an indication of how many people have set that time to preference 1 compared to how many people are allowed to be in that class. If it goes over 100%, I believe people who selected it as preference 1 are then placed in that class at random to be fair.
2017~2020 (Monash) | BA, BA(Hons)Psy
2021~ | job! - AN hiatus, it's been fun here (:

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2019, 04:44:21 pm »
+1
adding onto the above, if you want that slot but it is over 100% still put it has your number 1 preference as you will still have a chance of getting it - if you are unlucky and don't get it you will probably get pref 2 etc. If you put something with a low percentage down you are basically guaranteed in getting that so won't be considered for the lower prefernce.

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +278
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2019, 04:57:57 pm »
+3
UPDATE: so i called lol, but i'll answer my own question if, by some chance, someone out there might be wondering as well about the same thing.

so essentially they only go by official given names, and on official documents and stuff the first name is what's used. however, you can change it on class rolls and stuff, but you'd have to personally go up to the lecturer/tutorial/whatever (pardon my ignorance of uni terms) and ask them to modify it. :)
This is quite common. Mainly, you'd really only need to worry about this for tutorials (or any other class which is relatively small, and which you have the same tutor for each week).

Hey I'm a bit confused.. would anyone be able to give me a list of the accounts/passwords/ID's we should have for both course enrolment and residential (if possible?)

So far I've got things like WES transaction number, MRS portal, transaction number, MyMonash, Monash Student ID, Applicant ID, MRS Reference number, MRS CCD eLearning, a Monash email adress like [email protected], and also a Monash username.. but I've forgotten if some of them are the same and I wonder if I'm missing any?
I'm not too sure about what you need on the MRS side of things, but in terms of the other things, I think you've got it covered :)

P.S. Your Monash username may also be called your "authcate", and is the same as the first part of your email (before the @)
VCE 2015-16
2017-20: BSc (Stats)/BBiomedSc [Monash]