Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 11:18:54 pm

Author Topic: My chances at Band 6  (Read 5251 times)  Share 

aadharmg

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
My chances at Band 6
« on: June 24, 2017, 08:36:48 pm »
Okay so basically I do accelerated 3U and 2U maths and have average 71% and 75% up until half yearlies and my ranks are 7 and 12 respectively (these average marks are basically with moderate study (like 1-2 hrs a day) so I know that if I work hard I can probably get 100% for all remaining exams, really). I just did a 3rd term exam of which I struggled in 2U (probably around 75%) but aced 3U. I was wondering how impactful my Trials and HSC exam will be, in the sense that if I do extremely well (90%+ for each) then can I maybe get a band 6, and what is the chance at a state rank (I understand it is minimal but there must be a possibility)?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: My chances at Band 6
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 08:53:06 pm »
+5
Let's start by getting one thing out there. I was accelerated too, and I knew that undertaking acceleration has one key benefit - there is always a second chance. If you want to aim for a state rank that's absolutely fine but you need to know that it's not the end of it. Whilst personally I didn't take mine, that second chance still exists.

The state rank algorithm is designed to be fully focused on your performance in the external exam. Your internals are necessary in determining your final HSC mark you're reported, however not for the title of state ranker. Take Jamon, he came 2nd in his school for legal studies yet he was the one who got the state rank and not 1st.

Your internals should not directly affect AT ALL the likelihood of you state ranking. That's entirely up to the final exam. All the internals tell you is exactly where you are and to what extent do you need to perform better. Note that the trials are appreciably harder than many of the previous tasks made so far (considering that trials tend to mix all topics, rather than focus on a few). Additionally, note that in general state ranking in mathematics (especially in 2U) means that you lose no more than 2 marks. This can be very pressurising.

It is entirely up to how you perform as to how likely you will SR. Your internals mean nothing to this; only your performance on the last day.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 08:56:50 pm »
+3
Will multiple-post just this one to address the band 6 issue separately (but may merge my own posts later).

Now, on the other hand, your chances of a band 6 will be affected by your trials to a different degree. As you should know by now, your final mark is dependent 50% on your internal results, and 50% on your external final exam. Within your internal exams, your trials are usually weighted the most; somewhere between 35% to 60% typically. Will your trials impact on your final results? To quite some extent, certainly yes,

That being said, it's without a doubt not the most. The trials still fall under the umbrella of internal assessment, and unlike the external mark your internals have to undergo moderation and what not, so your actual internal mark might not even mean anything. Your final exam performance still has the greatest say on your final mark as it is never moderated, AND makes up 50% of the final mark just by itself.

You can't simply calculate how much your trials or any other internal assessment will impact on your final mark. You can only have a rough idea.

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 09:43:02 pm »
Let's start by getting one thing out there. I was accelerated too, and I knew that undertaking acceleration has one key benefit - there is always a second chance. If you want to aim for a state rank that's absolutely fine but you need to know that it's not the end of it. Whilst personally I didn't take mine, that second chance still exists.

The state rank algorithm is designed to be fully focused on your performance in the external exam. Your internals are necessary in determining your final HSC mark you're reported, however not for the title of state ranker. Take Jamon, he came 2nd in his school for legal studies yet he was the one who got the state rank and not 1st.

Your internals should not directly affect AT ALL the likelihood of you state ranking. That's entirely up to the final exam. All the internals tell you is exactly where you are and to what extent do you need to perform better. Note that the trials are appreciably harder than many of the previous tasks made so far (considering that trials tend to mix all topics, rather than focus on a few). Additionally, note that in general state ranking in mathematics (especially in 2U) means that you lose no more than 2 marks. This can be very pressurising.

It is entirely up to how you perform as to how likely you will SR. Your internals mean nothing to this; only your performance on the last day.

For stuff like 3 unit where many people get 70/70 raw, how do they decide the state rankers?

Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.
Send me a message if interested!

2016 HSC (Accelerated):
// 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //

2017 HSC:
// English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //

Goal: 99.9

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 10:08:26 pm »
+3
Given the nature of the math courses, whilst it is certainly possible for people to get 100/100 in 2U and 70/70 in 3U, I actually do not believe that any more than 20 score exactly that amount in 2U, and similarly 10 in 3U. And that's all the number of spots there are.

It is certainly not surprising for people to score 100/100 or 70/70 raw. Last year, there were six people who were awarded first place in 2U, and I believe that all of them succeeded in accomplishing this. But at the same time I do not believe that in general, 'many' score 70/70. Some people seem to get full marks in every trial paper they do, but when the final exam comes something just happens and they'll only be so marginally close.

There are rumours (potentially true, but I do not recall of proof) that say that in the event of people receiving same marks that internal results are looked at to distinguish between the various state ranks. But I have never heard of a similar thing being said for first in course.

frog0101

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 08:11:20 am »
What are usually the top marks in the 4 unit and 3 unit HSC exam? What do people usually have to get to state rank in either?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 08:21:07 am »
+3
After alignment has been put in place it's only 100 or 99.

Raw marks are never disclosed but I'd imagine they be at minimum 97.