Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:44:38 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1231990 times)

Kirri Rule

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Northern beaches christain school
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #2175 on: June 28, 2017, 01:12:06 pm »
Hi I'm really struggling in preparation for trials, in how to look at an essay question and to reduce it to what needs answering and how to answer it- thesis-wise (this is for all modules and discovery). Wondered if anyone had any tips thanks !!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2176 on: June 28, 2017, 02:46:54 pm »
+1
Could someone please help me with some analysis and links to the AOS syllabus for Margaret Atwood's poem Journey To The Interior (as a related text). Also any past discovery essays with this as the related text would be greatly appreciated! (I promise not to plagiarise but just to get some general ideas)

Would love if anyone who studied this text could help out! ;D

Hi I'm really struggling in preparation for trials, in how to look at an essay question and to reduce it to what needs answering and how to answer it- thesis-wise (this is for all modules and discovery). Wondered if anyone had any tips thanks !!

Hey! This is a really tough question to answer, because there so many different aspects. Understanding the requirements of the module, formulating a unique idea for a Thesis with enough depth as well as breadth, knowing what the question is asking of you.

I'd go take a look at our MEGA THREAD for English Advanced and check out a few things:

- The module essay guides. It is really important that you understand exactly what each module is actually asking of you, and how a Thesis for one should differ slightly from the others
- The AoS essay guide, for the same reason as above.
- For the AoS specifically, you can run Thesis statements past us here (do the same for the Modules in this thread). Practice makes perfect!

Ultimately, responding to a question properly comes from having enough experience with questions similar to it, to be able to go, "Yep, I understand what that wants from me." It does take a while to get there, but once you do, that is 80% of the hard work for that module done. You'll spend way longer figuring out what to do, then not much at all actually doing it :)

More generally, make sure you are highlighting key terms in your questions, keeping in mind the module objectives. In Module A, for example, you should be looking for some relevance to context in your questions. Highlight this one colour. Then you know there might be a theme you need to address. Highlight this another. Dissecting questions in this way is also a great way to practice ;D

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #2177 on: June 28, 2017, 05:26:58 pm »
thank you very much for your help
I was also wondering elyse how do you usually identify a attitude or value presented in a text?
I'm having trouble listing values and attitudes explored Carl Sagan's The pale blue dot
If I said Sagan doesn't necessarily value of the sanctity of human life would that still be a value?

This is interesting! I know nothing about a discursive essay structure, but I've done some googling. This resource seems to get better as it goes on, later discussing the structure for this kind of essay. But at the beginning it does talk about how to approach it to begin with as well! This might be useful for you :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #2178 on: June 28, 2017, 06:09:26 pm »
+1
thank you very much for your help
I was also wondering elyse how do you usually identify a attitude or value presented in a text?
I'm having trouble listing values and attitudes explored Carl Sagan's The pale blue dot
If I said Sagan doesn't necessarily value of the sanctity of human life would that still be a value?

In this specific example, I think it's more of a lacking of values for sanctity of life, rather than portraying a value. So you need to ask, what does the author put value on in the text, if not on human life? You can still identify this as an attitude, though!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
« Reply #2179 on: June 28, 2017, 11:47:52 pm »
thank you for your help :D
In this specific example, I think it's more of a lacking of values for sanctity of life, rather than portraying a value. So you need to ask, what does the author put value on in the text, if not on human life? You can still identify this as an attitude, though!

bearbear

• Adventurer
« Reply #2180 on: June 29, 2017, 03:27:05 pm »
Hi, could I get some help with this question?

How does Shakespeare use imagery to portray challenging ideas about truth and deceit in Hamlet?

It's a practice essay for module B and I am really stuck on where to start. Any help would be great, thanks.

winstondarmawan

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #2181 on: June 29, 2017, 05:44:12 pm »
Hello! Can someone please take a look at my thesis for the question below. Not sure if it makes sense, or it may be too convoluted and I would appreciate tips for improvement. (MOD C: Representing People and Landscapes)
Q: Critically evaluate how texts represent the idea that the various landscapes in our lives shape our sense of self and our relationships.
Perspectives concerning the various real, remembered and imagined landscapes which encompass our lives vary between individuals, and thus it is not only these landscapes which shape sense of self and relationships, but also our reaction to and experiences within these landscapes.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 05:46:13 pm by winstondarmawan »

cxmplete

• Trailblazer
  • School: Malek Fahd Islamic School
« Reply #2182 on: June 29, 2017, 10:40:52 pm »
Hey, I have to write an essay for an assignment for module C, and I don't really know how to structure my response to appropriately answer the question because I have way too many ideas. The chosen elective is representing people and politics, and my prescribed text is Huxley's Brave New World. The essay question is: Political representations are influenced by individual motivations. How is this represented in Brave New World?

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #2183 on: June 30, 2017, 09:16:35 am »
+2
Hey, I have to write an essay for an assignment for module C, and I don't really know how to structure my response to appropriately answer the question because I have way too many ideas. The chosen elective is representing people and politics, and my prescribed text is Huxley's Brave New World. The essay question is: Political representations are influenced by individual motivations. How is this represented in Brave New World?

For people and politics it's all about representation. You want to convey HOW the author conveys certain ideas.

As for interpreting your question, you would definitely talk about the motives of the world state leaders, how they wish to keep the past as distant as possible. The conditioning system is a huge metaphor representing the motive of the leaders. You should be able to pick out similar ideas and techniques to support them.

What are your ideas so far?
Heavy Things :(

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2184 on: June 30, 2017, 12:07:17 pm »
+1

Hey! Great advice above, I'd start by coming up with just two or three overarching themes that can become paragraphs. Pick your best ideas, the ones you have the most quotes/analysis/evidence for :)

Lots of resources on this text in our Notes section!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2185 on: June 30, 2017, 12:11:00 pm »
+1
Hi, could I get some help with this question?

How does Shakespeare use imagery to portray challenging ideas about truth and deceit in Hamlet?

It's a practice essay for module B and I am really stuck on where to start. Any help would be great, thanks.

Hey! I'd start by trying to come up with about three big ideas that you can turn into paragraphs, all centred around truth and deceit. Then, try and organise your quotes/techniques into those themes, picking the ones that argue each point the best. If you find you can't find any techniques to back up an idea, try and change it a little to make it easier :)

Lots of notes on Hamlet in our Notes section! They might help ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2186 on: June 30, 2017, 12:15:22 pm »
+1
Hello! Can someone please take a look at my thesis for the question below. Not sure if it makes sense, or it may be too convoluted and I would appreciate tips for improvement. (MOD C: Representing People and Landscapes)

Q: Critically evaluate how texts represent the idea that the various landscapes in our lives shape our sense of self and our relationships.
Perspectives concerning the various real, remembered and imagined landscapes which encompass our lives vary between individuals, and thus it is not only these landscapes which shape sense of self and relationships, but also our reaction to and experiences within these landscapes.

I think this works REALLY well Winston! It is broad, but also very obvious and deliberate in what it wants to argue ;D not really any comments, I think you've done a great job :)

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #2187 on: June 30, 2017, 05:05:56 pm »
Hey, Do you guys have any ideas for a related text on People and landscapes? I am doing The Art of Travel by Alain de Botton.
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2188 on: June 30, 2017, 05:24:22 pm »
+2
Hey, Do you guys have any ideas for a related text on People and landscapes? I am doing The Art of Travel by Alain de Botton.

Hey Katie! I know someone who did the poetry of Peter Skrzynecki for that, to great effect ;D it used to be on the prescribed text list for the AoS, so there's lots of resources out there on it! I made this mindmap on the poems if it helps :)

The poems on the mindmap are from The Immigrant Chronicle, an anthology, so there are other poems! The whole collection should be at your local library, or some excepts are around in educational resources from the old AoS - Google should help ;D

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #2189 on: June 30, 2017, 05:53:45 pm »
+1
Hey Katie! I know someone who did the poetry of Peter Skrzynecki for that, to great effect ;D it used to be on the prescribed text list for the AoS, so there's lots of resources out there on it! I made this mindmap on the poems if it helps :)

The poems on the mindmap are from The Immigrant Chronicle, an anthology, so there are other poems! The whole collection should be at your local library, or some excepts are around in educational resources from the old AoS - Google should help ;D

My school did  Peter Skrzynecki's poems from The Immigrant Chronicle last year for prelims. Would I be able to do any of his poems this year or do you know any other texts that I can use?
Sorry :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]