Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:48:23 pm

Author Topic: Constitution references in Roman numerals?  (Read 3406 times)  Share 

sxcalexc

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
Constitution references in Roman numerals?
« on: November 03, 2008, 10:33:34 pm »
Yeah, the title says it all. I'm learning the important sections and subsections in normal (arabic) numerals. e.g. in the form S51(37). I know how to write Roman numerals, but is it necessary in the exam, it'll only waste some precious seconds ?  :)

vce08

Re: Constitution references in Roman numerals?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 10:35:21 pm »
Put it in Roman Numerals if you must put the subsection.
Honestly though i don't really think u need to state the subsections.
Btw thats for specific powers rite?

costargh

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 10:38:28 pm »
I learnt them in roman numerals.
its way easy.

sxcalexc

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 10:38:56 pm »
Put it in Roman Numerals if you must put the subsection.
Honestly though i don't really think u need to state the subsections.
Btw thats for specific powers rite?
That's for referral of power. I basically know the subsections, so I may as well apply most of them, If I can. If not, I don't think it's absolutely necessary. Roman numerals, you think? Okay, thanks for the fast reply.

I learnt them in roman numerals.
its way easy.
Meh, I'll just convert them on the day if it's a mandatory convention. It's not too difficult. S51(37) would be S51(XXXVII).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 10:40:45 pm by sxcalexc »

vce08

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 10:40:34 pm »
Thats for increasing the powers of the Federal thingy yea??
I think there are better examples like high court rulings and other stuff which i forgot

sxcalexc

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 10:41:26 pm »
Thats for increasing the powers of the Federal thingy yea??
I think there are better examples like high court rulings and other stuff which i forgot
Yes, that is one method. High Court rulings may be more influential. Although referrals are rare, they are good to know about.

vce08

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 10:42:37 pm »
fair enough
i did legal last year tho, so i don't have to worry about this!

sxcalexc

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 10:43:01 pm »
fair enough
i did legal last year tho, so i don't have to worry about this!
Screw you then! Lol.

hard

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 10:59:44 pm »
amm roman numerals? you means in specific powers and all that? as in e.g. s51 (xxix) external affairs? well you don't have to know these if that's what you wanted to know. However there are easier ways of knowing some of these. For example, s51(vi) raising army and naval is an exclusive power. However remembering just s114 which states that this power can only be exercised by federal parliament is much easier. Although this could be used as a restriction on the states which s51(vi) could be used as an example of a specific power.

Anyway, i don't really know why you're concerned about arabic?

btw i didn't really understand the point of the thread because there are too many different topics lol. arabic, referral of power, specific powers lol not sure what you are REALLY trying to find out.

/rant.

sxcalexc

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 09:00:37 pm »
amm roman numerals? you means in specific powers and all that? as in e.g. s51 (xxix) external affairs? well you don't have to know these if that's what you wanted to know. However there are easier ways of knowing some of these. For example, s51(vi) raising army and naval is an exclusive power. However remembering just s114 which states that this power can only be exercised by federal parliament is much easier. Although this could be used as a restriction on the states which s51(vi) could be used as an example of a specific power.

Anyway, i don't really know why you're concerned about arabic?

btw i didn't really understand the point of the thread because there are too many different topics lol. arabic, referral of power, specific powers lol not sure what you are REALLY trying to find out.

/rant.

Lol. Arabic numerals are the numbers that we use i.e. 1,2,3,4,5. They are of hindu-arabic origin. Don't worry about not knowing that, it isn't very well known. The Constitution section was merely an example of what the structure of a section and sub-section looks like, with 'arabic' or 'normal' numbers lol. I suppose I'll just distinguish the one I want to use on the day. Sorry to have confused you.   :P

xox.happy1.xox

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 09:14:08 pm »
Aww... Now I don't know if I should use roman numerals or not when referring to different sections of the constitution in the exam. :(

sxcalexc

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 09:27:05 pm »
Aww... Now I don't know if I should use roman numerals or not when referring to different sections of the constitution in the exam. :(
How bout we spell out the subsection numbers.... IN ARABIC! :D

hard

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 09:31:59 pm »
i don't think using roman numerals would do anything. Just know the main ones, i.e. s109, 128 etc.