Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 03:42:19 am

Author Topic: Did you go to the country of which the language you're learning is spoken?  (Read 8649 times)  Share 

kawfee

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Re: Did you go to the country of which the language your learning is spoken?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 09:47:02 am »
I plan to go as soon as it's over  :P. End of November or something hahaha. Yeah I want to do a bachelor of art with Japanese and Korean as two majors. I know that Monash does pretty good exchanges and you can still earn credits while in a partner university and whatnot. I'm sure you'd be able to if the university (and, well, the bank balance) allows it.

Oooh, I actually want to study Korean too (like you, I'm into kpop, kdramas, kvariety etc). However, probs after I master Indo. And I'm thinking of doing Sci at Melb, with Indo as a breadth. Shall see how it goes :)

But definitely like lolalol said "hard work and passion" will take you far. :D (believe us. because I honestly thought getting a 40 for Indo was hard because there are a lot of natives doing the subject. but definitely with passion you will do well)

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 好きこそものの上手なれ ☆ What one likes, one will do well
  • Respect: +383
Re: Did you go to the country of which the language you're learning is spoken?
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2014, 10:00:13 am »

Oooh, I actually want to study Korean too (like you, I'm into kpop, kdramas, kvariety etc). However, probs after I master Indo. And I'm thinking of doing Sci at Melb, with Indo as a breadth. Shall see how it goes :)

But definitely like lolalol said "hard work and passion" will take you far. :D (believe us. because I honestly thought getting a 40 for Indo was hard because there are a lot of natives doing the subject. but definitely with passion you will do well)

Good minds think like/have similar interests/like k-media you are good for liking k-media

Indonesian was a subject I learnt in primary school, would you believe. I thought about continuing it, but Japanese has been coded in to my DNA so it seems.
Sounds interesting actually. Good on you for considering science; I couldn't do it. Doing a language on top could be strenuous, but I don't see any reason not to try.
I am kind of at a stalemate with UoM and Monash as to which has better LOTE studies. UoM seems the better university on the whole, but my teacher reckons Monash has a shot if it's LOTE. So many decisions.

edit:oh yeah. uob doesn't offer korean. any past compliments are revoked  ::)

I hope there are bugger all Japanese students doing VCE Japanese SL next year. Do FL for God's sake  :( :-[ :'( haha
I'm hoping passion and dedication will sail me through to a nice study score for 2015. Here goes nothing.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 10:06:48 am by sarangiya »
Sometimes you make choices, and sometimes choices make you.

♡ Subjects ♡
2015: Japanese SL [42]
2016: Psychology [43] Philosophy [36] Japanese SL [50] [Premier's Award]
2017: UMEP Further Advanced Japanese [4.5]
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]
ATAR: 97.45
2019-2024: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ UNSW

Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
Is Repeating a VCE Subject Worth It?

Leezy

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2014, 12:39:26 pm »
Scare. I don't even want to think of the detailed study for Japanese SL 3/4... Like what, the discussion only lasts for like... 7 minutes? It seemed short at first but in reality that's so long.

It actually shouldn't be too bad. I did Chinese 3/4 this year and the Oral Exam went by really quickly. Once you engage in conversation, it just flows and time will pass fairly quickly. Have you decided on a topic yet?

M_BONG

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 12:45:30 pm »

Were you happy with the Indo score mate? :D

I mean I expected my score to be higher but I did make a few mistakes in Oral. Ah well..

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2014, 12:53:30 pm »
It actually shouldn't be too bad. I did Chinese 3/4 this year and the Oral Exam went by really quickly. Once you engage in conversation, it just flows and time will pass fairly quickly. Have you decided on a topic yet?

Hahaahahahahahahahahahaaahaahaahahahahaha.............no

♡ Subjects ♡
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]

kawfee

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2014, 01:02:12 pm »
Were you happy with the Indo score mate? :D

I mean I expected my score to be higher but I did make a few mistakes in Oral. Ah well..

Yeah I am happy with it.

But ahah tbh I wanted higher. And I honestly screwed up my timing[blaming the listening], and rushed my essay (which I'm pre good at and gah)...I felt as if my essay had no structure. And I picked the topic about the friend in a suit, on a plane or something. lol normally I wouldn't go with topics that require a lot of points to be addressed..if you know what I mean? as in, my teacher's like.. sometimes you have to explicitly mention you're a TEEN from JAKARTA etc. and address everythin in the topic. and omg i just remembered I forgot to sign off my diary. ._. but there'salways gonna be a part of me 'I could have done better'

Yeah..my oral was 'ok'- not sure tho. they were smilin all the time, but they were probably bored :3 . I might get statement of marks for my written exam..?nahh..but im interestedas to how many marks separate a 40 and 41 >42>43 etc (but ofc there are different factors). and CONGRATS ON UR SCORE :D *high five*

thinking of continuin indo?? :D
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 01:08:05 pm by kawfee »

jibba

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • 日本のミカタ
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2015, 10:32:59 pm »
+1
I plan to go as soon as it's over  :P. End of November or something hahaha. Yeah I want to do a bachelor of art with Japanese and Korean as two majors. I know that Monash does pretty good exchanges and you can still earn credits while in a partner university and whatnot. I'm sure you'd be able to if the university (and, well, the bank balance) allows it.

Indeed. As the other replies were saying, I reckon you'd need to be over there for a decent amount of time to actually see results. And I can definitely agree to your second statement. Someone I know went to their SL's host country for a year, and I was really impressed at their level, but then I came to think that it wasn't as good as I thought it would be if one went for a whole year. Turns out, they didn't speak any of the language at all before going. From coming from nothing to the level they are now is amazing for sure, but as you say: it all depends on how good you were before going.

I'm doing a double major in Japanese and korean at Monash at the moment.
I went on a double exchange to Japan and Korea in 3rd year haha. My Japanese exchange was all properly done through the university but the Korean one was done personally where I applied to the university (Seoul National Uni) and got subject credits approved later.
Definitely recommended if you are studying languages at Monash! There are some scholarships available too (like JASSO for Japan) so if you are lucky you can get one of those :)

I was able to speak Japanese pretty well before going to Japan, but with Korean, I could barely speak it. But after going I became a lot more fluent and can hold a decent conversation I even did some part time work there and could understand the instructions given to me in Korean! It's still no where near as fluent as Japanese but i'm satisfied with my level in Korean haha.

Exchanges are definitely recommended (Y)

2011: Japanese SL [50] ATAR: 99.40
2012-2017: Arts/Law at Monash
My Japanese Advice Thread Q/A and advice for 2012/Future VCE Japanese Students
2013: Currently tutoring VCE Japanese. JLPT N2
2014: Exchange to Hitotsubashi University, Japan (April - August) & Seoul National University (September - December). JLPT N1
2017: Tutoring VCE Japanese/Offering VCE Japanese notes email : [email protected]

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2015, 12:56:33 pm »
I'm doing a double major in Japanese and korean at Monash at the moment.
I went on a double exchange to Japan and Korea in 3rd year haha. My Japanese exchange was all properly done through the university but the Korean one was done personally where I applied to the university (Seoul National Uni) and got subject credits approved later.
Definitely recommended if you are studying languages at Monash! There are some scholarships available too (like JASSO for Japan) so if you are lucky you can get one of those :)

I was able to speak Japanese pretty well before going to Japan, but with Korean, I could barely speak it. But after going I became a lot more fluent and can hold a decent conversation I even did some part time work there and could understand the instructions given to me in Korean! It's still no where near as fluent as Japanese but i'm satisfied with my level in Korean haha.

Exchanges are definitely recommended (Y)
Wow, thank you so much for the advice! I definitely want to go on an exchange in University.  And no doubt a scholarship would help me get there, thanks for sharing it.
Wow, good job! I'm finding it hard to improve my Korean while focusing on Japanese so my Korean is pretty bad.  I can read,  and read pretty quickly at that, and I also know quite a bit of grammar but as for vocabulary... Hopefully that would be something that would improve through an exchange.
Off topic but do you take TOPIK along with the Korean class? If I'm not mistaken,  you take the JLPT throughout the Japanese course, right? At least that's what I heard :\

♡ Subjects ♡