Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 08:36:18 am

Author Topic: How to quote a movie scene?  (Read 931 times)  Share 

Kaan709

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
How to quote a movie scene?
« on: March 04, 2017, 09:21:57 pm »
I'm using a film for my related text, and having troubles referencing or quoting a scene. I'm just kind of explain the scene...
This is a very rough example of what i'm doing.
"In contrast, the social obstacle is effectively juxtaposed in the ‘Homecoming’ scene, in which is established by a High Angle-shot of Charlie leaning against the wall, then him dancing with Sam and Patrick to the song ‘Come on Eileen’ by Dexys Midnight Runners."

I haven't finished explaining and linking it, but how could I reference it? Thank you

seth

Re: How to quote a movie scene?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 09:59:58 pm »
+3
VCE (Victorian) English student lurking around in the HSC forums here! Don't think the quoting system is any different between the two courses, so thought might as well help out. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

When quoting a scene, try and integrate the quote/reference so that it focuses more so on analysis than description. An easy way to ensure this is to have the bare minimum of description that is need to provide context for your analysis. In other words, if you're not going to analyse the score, don't mention it, and likewise for cinematography, mise en scene etc..

For example, let's take the scene in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory when Charlie runs home after getting the Golden ticket. There's a landscape shot that shows his pretty run down home against the backdrop of city buildings; the message here could be something like Charlie has to leave his home to grow as a person. Here's an example of how I would add in the reference:

In the landscape shot as Charlie returns home after finding the Golden Ticket, Burton juxtaposes the imagery of Charlie's dilapidated home with that of tall, clean city buildings. Through this, he attempts to convey that in order for Charlie to grow as a person, he needs to leave the restrictive nature of his family home, and accept the opportunity of venturing beyond that the Golden ticket provides.

Probably isn't the best in terms of analysis, but hopefully it still demonstrates the general gist of what I'm trying to say. You can see that a majority of it is analysis as opposed to me describing the scene. In fact, the only part where I'm really describing is the first part of the first sentence. In the following sentence where I'm describing Charlie's house as dilapidated, I'm sort of more analyzing it since I say Burton juxtaposes it with the background landscape. 

Hope that helps? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 11:57:42 pm by seth »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: How to quote a movie scene?
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 11:40:54 pm »
Love the response above... Thanks seth! ;D

Kaan; referencing the scene should be primarily technique. Just like when referencing a novel. When I make a textual reference, often I won't even specify what scene it is from - If the technique speaks for itself there is no need to contextualise it within the plot of the film! If you are analysing a specific part of the story arc, or otherwise DO need to identify where your analysis sits to make it work, just give exactly enough detail such that someone familiar with the text can catch on. A brief phrase, or a common reference like "Homecoming Scene," works really well!

Don't stress too much about making sure the reader knows where the quote came from - That's pretty useless. The analysis is always way more important, and usually, your analysis doesn't need contextualising within the film itself ;D